• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Anti's flooding Richmond Times Dispatch with their propaganda!

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Either they have disabled comments (including merely viewing comments) or RTD is experiencing a momentary glitch.

I'll go back later to see if conditions improve.

In the merantime, please note:
Thirty-one people have been shot this month in the city, five fatally. That surpasses the 30 shootings in April 2010, although that month remains the city's deadliest since at least 2007, with nine homicides.
At least nine of this month's shootings occurred during robberies. Accidental shootings and suicides are not included in the totals.
Authorities said they have identified two men suspected in three robberies that resulted in shootings in Richmond and at least one incident outside the city. Investigators have one of the men in custody and are looking for the other one. Authorities declined to identify the suspects, citing the ongoing investigations.
"We're talking about two violent offenders who carried out a series of events here in April that kind of defined the month," Richmond police Lt. Emmett Williams said.

And all the carnage being reported does not include accidental shootings (what we call ADs and NDs) or suicides. So what's all the hub-bub about?

So the cops are saying that there were two guys going around shooting up Richmond - a series of acts that appear on the surface to be illegal. And there is a part of me that is willing to bet neither of them were/are legally able to posses firearms in the first place.

Based on that last piece of information, I'd say it's not the guns but those two criminals and a few others that were responsible for the total being reported. Funny, though, that RTD does not make that point very clear.

Oh, well.

stay safe.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Just went back there and was able to post. Let's see if this stays up, and if so what responses it gets:

According to the Richmond City Police the majority of the shootings being reported were committed by two criminals, one of which is now in custody. Since the number of shootings does not take into account accidents and suicides, it is logical to presume the rest of the shootings were also committed by criminals while committing crimes.

If all the 30 shootings were committed by criminals it is pretty safe to presume that they were/are not able to legally posses a firearm in the first place. And it would also be pretty safe to presume that none of those criminals went through a background check while purchasing their firearms because they were not buying them from anyone who was/is able to legally posses a firearm themself.
So all the calling for stricter laws and more stringet background checks seems to just impose more restriction and hardship on those who obey the law in the first place - including not going around shooting people while committing robberies and other crimes.

I wish someone would explain the rampant fear of firearms but the lack of fear of criminals. It's not te gun that kills someone, but the person who pulled the trigger. If they did not have a firearm they might use a baseball bat, or a screwdriver, or an ax. Wait a minute - criminals have used all of those any many other items. But all I hear is a call to take away firearms. Howcome nobody wants to remove all the axes and screwdirivers and baseball bats?

stay safe.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Appears that logic and reason ruled the overnight comments. Next check will be around lunchtime to see if folks have lost interest and gone on to something (anything) else.

stay safe.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Appears that logic and reason ruled the overnight comments. Next check will be around lunchtime to see if folks have lost interest and gone on to something (anything) else.

stay safe.

I read the first few comments. I'm saving them to show Ken Cuccinelli. He'll change his position on abortion then I bet.

half_life1052

The one thing I really want to know is, why the biggest proponent of banning guns in the comments states he owns them himself? I asked him. Let's see if he responds.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
The one thing I really want to know is, why the biggest proponent of banning guns in the comments states he owns them himself? I asked him. Let's see if he responds.

Good luck finding out Half Life.
Why are the biggest proponents of turning Virginia into a permit state, people who claim to be pro gun.

Remember that when the cheerleaders tell you we're all on the same side:uhoh:

half_life1052

Good luck finding out Half Life.
Why are the biggest proponents of turning Virginia into a permit state, people who claim to be pro gun.

Remember that when the cheerleaders tell you we're all on the same side:uhoh:

Actually I believe he is being classist. He believes that he should be able to own them but those he deems lessers should be denied the "privilege". Elitist snobs really get me going. Liars even more so.

papa bear

i really thought it was funny how "lance" had no problem with stopping people and searching them and their homes "just in case they had guns". guess he doesn't care for the 4th and 5th A either

Repeater

LTE alleges that gun owners who carry are 'Terrorists'

This is abusive:

Gun violence now stalks everyone
Editor, Times-Dispatch:

Roslyn Phillips is my friend. She is the mother of three fine sons, two of whom were murdered last week over a childish argument ["Arrest made in double slaying over dog feces"].

I met Roslyn when she relocated to Richmond with her two younger sons after Katrina destroyed everything they had — their home, their schools, their school records, their system of transportation. Roslyn courageously led her sons through the rebuilding of their lives as they struggled to adapt to a new community, culture and schools. With fearlessness and faith this family triumphed over losses so extensive most of us would sink into despair. This is one fine family!

And today? Roslyn faces another disaster. Only this time my friend won't be rebuilding anything anytime soon, because the terrorism of gun violence found and destroyed her family. The combustible combination of a quick temper and easy access to a gun is all it takes to create a terrorist mentality in our neighborhoods. This terrorist stalks us every minute of every day, threatening the lives of our loved ones.

It no longer matters where you come from or where you live. Gun violence is no longer about ghettos, drugs and bad guys. It's about money and politics and we are all victims of this insidious stalker.

Because our lawmakers fund gun violence, the only defense is to vote. Go to the polls. Make sure the person you're voting for has fully supported gun law reform.

The Phillips family are the kind of people that communities need. They served their country, educated themselves so they could continue to serve the needy and it made their neighbors feel safe just having them around. They are gone now. And that should really make you angry and very afraid.

Suzanne Hanky.

Hague.

Gee, "our" lawmakers fund gun violence. Did you know that?