• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Amateur Radio ops/ CC/OC in AZ?

GlockRDH

GlockRDH

fyi...heres the letter thats been passed around in the WI ARES community ...

Wisconsin ARES management does not have any authority to formulate a policy of carrying weapons while supporting ARES. ARES is a registered program of ARRL and, as the parent organization of ARES, it is the ARRL who has declared that weapons have no place in ARES – not only in Wisconsin but nationally. I have been in communication with ARRL HQ several times on this issue presenting the what-ifs and the answer is always the same – no weapons allowed. Period.

From Chris Imlay, ARRL General Counsel:

Greetings, Don. Let me be very, very clear about this. We are not going to talk about choice here, or "rights" or anything else on this issue. There is no place within ARES for weapons of any type. No one in connection with ARES is to carry a weapon on their person at any time they are participating in any ARES activity whatsoever. We are not going to discuss this or negotiate this with anyone at any time. If this is a problem for anyone, then as Dan says they are welcome to withdraw from the ARES program. We do not want anyone participating in ARES while possessing a weapon outside their home or vehicle and if we hear about it the person will be thanked for their services and terminated. This is an ARRL program and weapons are no part of it whatsoever. We can't have any liability on this issue. Please tell your field appointees this.

73, Chris W3KD

This policy has the support of all the top management within ARRL, Central Division leaders, Wisconsin Section Manager, and Wisconsin ARES senior leadership. In addition, there has been consultation with Wisconsin Emergency Management.

Wisconsin ARES will adhere to this ARRL policy and we will discuss, at the April 28 Leadership conference, the impact it has on Wisconsin ARES and the adjustments that need to be made within Wisconsin ARES to continue as one of the best ARES organizations in the country.

Best regards

Viking

prohibited places to carry

The problem is this, anyone can put up signs prohibiting carry, OC or CC, but they always want a waiver from any civil suits
when some wacko shoots their place up and the proprietor couldn't or wouldn't offer any rerasonable security. Well, AFAIC, they
can't have it both ways. For my money, buisnesses should be LEGALLY OBLIGATED to post large, obvious signage at their buisness
enterances if they want to ban weapons there. They should also have to pay much higher insurance premiums for civil suites
arising from their cowardice ! This is only for private buisnesses that want a great deal of customer traffic in their stores/ shops.
AFAIC, my right to live & survive outweighs any buisness owners fear or hatred of gun owners. Of course, I also fully realize that
there are sanctions if my weapon is discovered (trespassing, etc.) but I can live with that. Death because one is unarmed is somewhat
difficult to reverse, at this time !! There is also my favorite civil weapon: the boycott !!!!!

Last edited:

Sonora Rebel

<snip> AFAIC, my right to live & survive outweighs any buisness owners fear or hatred of gun owners. Of course, I also fully realize that
there are sanctions if my weapon is discovered (trespassing, etc.) but I can live with that. Death because one is unarmed is somewhat
difficult to reverse, at this time !! There is also my favorite civil weapon: the boycott !!!!!

That's about it. Well said.

OC for ME

In addition, there has been consultation with Wisconsin Emergency Management.
Great, but does WEM agree? Odd, apparently some folks do not think that there are emergencies where a firearm may be required to address that emergency.

H

Herr Heckler Koch

Ive not heard if WEM has made a statement on this issue. Looks like we maybe having a CC/OC Friendly Field Day event at another location.
A site search by an independent search engine for "weapon" returned 37 hits, none recent and most with tangential predicates, ("nuclear" and "mass destruction" and "chemical").

The Notice on the http://emergencymanagement.wi.gov/ page suggests legally armed citizens are not tolerated. The policies are quite similar to FEMA-VIPS/CERTS.

warywolfen

Ares

fyi...heres the letter thats been passed around in the WI ARES community ...

Wisconsin ARES management does not have any authority to formulate a policy of carrying weapons while supporting ARES. ARES is a registered program of ARRL and, as the parent organization of ARES, it is the ARRL who has declared that weapons have no place in ARES – not only in Wisconsin but nationally. I have been in communication with ARRL HQ several times on this issue presenting the what-ifs and the answer is always the same – no weapons allowed. Period.

From Chris Imlay, ARRL General Counsel:

Greetings, Don. Let me be very, very clear about this. We are not going to talk about choice here, or "rights" or anything else on this issue. There is no place within ARES for weapons of any type. No one in connection with ARES is to carry a weapon on their person at any time they are participating in any ARES activity whatsoever. We are not going to discuss this or negotiate this with anyone at any time. If this is a problem for anyone, then as Dan says they are welcome to withdraw from the ARES program. We do not want anyone participating in ARES while possessing a weapon outside their home or vehicle and if we hear about it the person will be thanked for their services and terminated. This is an ARRL program and weapons are no part of it whatsoever. We can't have any liability on this issue. Please tell your field appointees this.

73, Chris W3KD

This policy has the support of all the top management within ARRL, Central Division leaders, Wisconsin Section Manager, and Wisconsin ARES senior leadership. In addition, there has been consultation with Wisconsin Emergency Management.

Wisconsin ARES will adhere to this ARRL policy and we will discuss, at the April 28 Leadership conference, the impact it has on Wisconsin ARES and the adjustments that need to be made within Wisconsin ARES to continue as one of the best ARES organizations in the country.

Best regards

I hope no whackos know this. It seems that along with schoolyards, an ARES gathering is an ideal site for a massacre! More likely, it's the perfect place for a robber to stock up on ham equipment to fence. "For sale: JRC NRD-535. $25. Cash only." :)

I hope no whackos know this. It seems that along with schoolyards, an ARES gathering is an ideal site for a massacre! More likely, it's the perfect place for a robber to stock up on ham equipment to fence. "For sale: JRC NRD-535. $25. Cash only." :)

The nasty side of me wants to forward his letter to several unfriendly parties just for this very reason...

But I won't, of course. But it is tempting.

The_Pennsylvanian

I , for one, will be openly carrying at the Marshfield Radio Club's Field Day event at Steven J Miller park in Marshfield. If anyone else wants to attend, feel free. We are always on the lookout for other operators. There are at least four of us that carry, although I think I'm the only one who does so openly.

mannys9130

As a ham, I did join the ARRL a while ago. I got the magazine and felt warm and fuzzy that they would lobby congress and protect our rights to operate. HOAs, city ordinances, and nay-sayers who resist emergency preparedness all pose a huge problem for our hobby. Now, I will NOT renew my membership and when I get the cute letter asking why, I will cite this and mail it to HQ. The last field day here was up in the mountains, secluded and removed from all fast reacting emergency crew. The elevation was GREAT for radio, but poor for getting supplies or help fast. I know the person who was working the vhf station on 10 meters was indeed open carrying. No one said anything because he is "that guy" that everyone sees carrying every where he goes. I appreciated his firepower. People get mauled by wild animals frequently here in the wilderness. Very disappointing ARRL. :(

Thoreau

Now I'm glad that I only got the 'trial' membership to the ARRL recently (needed a login for the VE test software) instead of paying for an actual membership.

I don't know for sure what the local section of ARES thinks about this, or if it's ever even been brought up, but I can't imagine it sitting well in, of all places, Arizona.