Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lapeer Gravel Pit Update

Lapeer Gravel Pit Update

MGO sponsored a Lapeer Gravel Pit Clean-up today. The "Before" and "After" pictures can be found at the following thread (no log-in needed):

http://www.migunowners.org/forum/sho...d.php?t=176934

The Lapeer State Game Area will now allow only Paper/Cardboard and Clay Targets (order covers entire SGA). I believe the DNR/Police will write tickets for those not following the DNR/NRC Order (probably for "littering" or some DNR Rule), likely to be "Stiff Penalties". Others and myself requested that self-healing and metal targets (removable) be added to the order as "allowable", but this was not in the order. Also, shooting is only allowed during "hunting hours" which is a complicated rule...
    Rights are like muscles. You must EXERCISE THEM to keep them from becoming atrophied.

Banned
    What does SGA stand for?

Quote Originally Posted by stainless1911 View Post
    What does SGA stand for?
    State Game Area.
    Rights are like muscles. You must EXERCISE THEM to keep them from becoming atrophied.

State Game Area?

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2

Banned
    I thought so, but did not want to make an assumption. It has been quite a while since I read the memo, is this for all state gaming areas, or just for Lapeer Co.?

I thought so, but did not want to make an assumption. It has been quite a while since I read the memo, is this for all state gaming areas, or just for Lapeer Co.?
    Just Lapeer SGA. I am bummed as I used to go there to shoot my Crossbows into the "orange block" target (just not at "the pit"). Big SGA, plenty of places to target shoot...

Banned
    Yeah, I think its too restrictive too. I have a small easily portable fold up target that hangs a 1/4" plate steel, 4x6" or so, its great for pistols and .22s. I also have a fold up target that hangs a sheet of plywood just big enough to tack a sheet of paper to, I wonder how they would view that?

And golf balls. Its fun to toss a golf ball, and see if you can empty the mag efore it stops moving, hitting it with each shot.
    Last edited by stainless1911; 04-29-2012 at 09:40 PM.

I use torso sized steel targets up there so we shall see. As long as safe distances are maintained I don't see why they should have an issue. Hopefully they will make it official and allow reactionary steel targets. What about IDPA type heavy cardboard? yea, nay? with wood or PVC framing?
    Last edited by NHCGRPR45; 04-29-2012 at 10:35 PM.
    But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security. Declaration of Independence July 4, 1776

Michigan Concealed Pistol Instructor. Cost 80.00 With advanced techniques included free. PM for more information!

I went there saturday, sort of, actually into the woods shooting into a hill, to teach a couple people to shoot handguns. We used thin strips of pine on 2x4 stands to mount paper silhouettes to. No one missed and hit the wood, unlike at the pit itself where you can now almost count on random idiots to shoot your targets apart.

Anyway, point is I for one plan to keep bringing targets held up by easily replaced and rapidly bio degradable wood. Even a stand damaging miss is meaningless since it's already a forest. If they bizzarly feel like cracking down on shooting at unfinished pine, the solution is tall cardboard boxes and tape, glue or staples. Not a big deal either way.
    Last edited by Michigander; 04-30-2012 at 01:02 AM.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

Banned
    cant have glue tape or staples

Yeah, I think its too restrictive too.
    I think the people in that area are lucky they didnt shut it down. If I was in charge of it I would. I have never been there but have heard people say it was a mess but those pictures are gross. I cant believe people are that nasty. I would have left as soon as I got there. Maybe some local prisoners could come every Sunday and do some good, cleaning up.

Banned
    +1

When I go to an outdoor range I take everything (or pick it up) I brought with me -- with the exception of the lead and copper I leave in the berm.

Gun owners are supposed to be responsible types? These pictures fooled me...
    Call for a cop, call for an ambulance, and call for a pizza. See who shows up first.

I am not a lawyer (merely an omnipotent member of a continuum). The contents of this post are not a substitute for sound legal advice from a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction.

Comments and views stated in my post are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Michigan Open Carry, Inc. unless stated otherwise in the post.

Banned
    I agree, Im really neat with my stuff when I shoot, I dont want the same thing to happen to my area.

If anybody goes there soon post pictures. I would love to see how it looks today. If anybody needs more trash to shoot my family goes through about 4 bags a week I would give you, save me 50 every quarter.

Could you see me with my truck throwing in trash bags, neighbor asks if its trash day and I reply nope going to Lapeer Gravel Pit to do some shootin.

Campaign Veteran Glock9mmOldStyle's Avatar

Question

cant have glue tape or staples
    Ok so how is one supposed to secure targets to a bio-degradable (cardboard) hanger ... tooth picks...maybe? It seems like they are attempting (DNR) to discourage littering & I think we all agree with that. On the other hand regulating to the point where it becomes prohibitive seems a bit much too. Or is that the point? I sure hope not. This place is one of very few places left under state control that a person can practice "practical shooting skills".
    “A government that does not trust it’s law-abiding citizens to keep and bear arms is itself unworthy of trust.” James Madison.

“Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth.” “The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good.” George Washington

Banned
    I agree. I was sort of making a point.

People dont think when they make laws. The authority forms a mental block of sorts. Never could figure out just how to put it into words. Still amazes me.

I agree, Im really neat with my stuff when I shoot, I dont want the same thing to happen to my area.
    Is that the one I told you about? If so, how is it working out? Do you see anyone else out there?
    I brought my two "beginners" to my secret SGA location near me. We had a very good time. My son, the youngest of the two, is just like me... he's better with a pistol than a rifle. Pistols help with our "left eye/right hand" dominance issues. He asked me when he could buy his own and open carry with me. When I said 11 years (he's 7), he was so sad. I'm sure it seems like a century when you are so young.
    Last edited by DrTodd; 05-04-2012 at 07:52 PM.
    Giving up our liberties for safety is the one sure way to let the violent among us win.

"Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." -Saint Augustine

Disclaimer – I am not a lawyer! Please do not consider anything you read from me to be legal advice.

Banned
    Yes it is, I love it there. I keep that one to myself, and a couple close friends. I dont see other people there, occasionally an empty shell, but thats it. I dont want a bunch of people bangin' away all day, and have the neighbors asking for an ordinance against it.

Eko is right handed and cross dominant as well. Pistols are easier for her, partly for the length of pull. She cracks me up, she loves to shoot, but every time I grab the M1A, she hides behind a tree, not too fond of the noise.

I do hear shooters nearby, but I dont know where they are.
    Last edited by stainless1911; 05-04-2012 at 09:24 PM.

Campaign Veteran Glock9mmOldStyle's Avatar
    Yes it is, I love it there. I keep that one to myself, and a couple close friends. I dont see other people there, occasionally an empty shell, but thats it. I dont want a bunch of people bangin' away all day, and have the neighbors asking for an ordinance against it.

Eko is right handed and cross dominant as well. Pistols are easier for her, partly for the length of pull. She cracks me up, she loves to shoot, but every time I grab the M1A, she hides behind a tree, not too fond of the noise.

I do hear shooters nearby, but I dont know where they are.

Hope you have good cover there in case they accidently send lead in your direction. Figures the Doc told you about your shooting spot, just bolsters what I already knew, he's a good guy.

Sent from my Polaroid PMID701i using Tapatalk 2
    “A government that does not trust it’s law-abiding citizens to keep and bear arms is itself unworthy of trust.” James Madison.

“Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth.” “The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good.” George Washington

Great job on the clean up! Beautiful dog there too, almost the same color as the ground, had to look twice.

I am repulsed that people could leave the area in such a state as it was. I understand bits of paper target that fly around from emptying a few mags into it being left behind, couple good rains and it's fresh dirt... But the amount of trash there was hideous.

I don't see why they wouldn't allow self healing targets, as they are the ones that will leave the least evidence behind. I'll be rooting for you to get it cleared up though.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk 2
    "A Right Un-exercised is a Right Lost"

"According to the law, [openly carrying] in a vehicle is against the law if the weapon is concealed" -Flamethrower (think about it....)

Carrying an XDm 9mm with Hornady Critical Defense hollowpoint. Soon to be carrying a Ruger along with it....

The volunteers did an excellent job.

I wonder, with the "New Rules" and all, if this will eliminate the annual pumpkin shoot?

Banned
    yep, they'll prolly call it "baiting" or some other BS.

A friend of mine was at The Pit this past weekend shooting and he told me some guy brought a computer monitor out there to shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by bruiser 160 View Post
    A friend of mine was at The Pit this past weekend shooting and he told me some guy brought a computer monitor out there to shoot.
    Some things never change
    Call for a cop, call for an ambulance, and call for a pizza. See who shows up first.

I am not a lawyer (merely an omnipotent member of a continuum). The contents of this post are not a substitute for sound legal advice from a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction.

Comments and views stated in my post are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Michigan Open Carry, Inc. unless stated otherwise in the post.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast