• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Michigan no longer has "perfect" reciprocity

Small_Arms_Collector

Their reason as near as I can figure is because the counties issue the licenses (gun boards) instead of the state.

Apparently in the strange World New Mexico lives in it some how matters.

The real answer of course is that the guy making the decision is an anti gunner, and he's using any excuse he can find to cut as many states as possible.

Last edited:

xmanhockey7

Their reason as near as I can figure is because the counties issue the licenses (gun boards) instead of the state.

Apparently in the strange World New Mexico lives in it some how matters.

The real answer of course is that the guy making the decision is an anti gunner, and he's using any excuse he can find to cut as many states as possible.

I think you're exactly right.

Michigander

When I was 22, having no CCW type permit whatsoever, driving through New Mexico with my Sig on my side was something special. It was the first time I ever carried in a car. I felt like I was in heaven when I got passed by some mexican or native american dude on a loud Harley, long hair flapping in the wind, wearing no helmet, doing about 85.

It's a gold star open carry state with extended domain in your car. If I remember right, unchambered CC doesn't require a permit. It is among the freest states in the country, whether or not you hold a carry license.

I for one consider this to be almost meaningless.

Last edited:

xmanhockey7

When I was 22, having no CCW type permit whatsoever, driving through New Mexico with my Sig on my side was something special. It was the first time I ever carried in a car. I felt like I was in heaven when I got passed by some mexican or native american dude on a loud Harley, long hair flapping in the wind, wearing no helmet, doing about 85.

It's a gold star open carry state with extended domain in your car. If I remember right, unchambered CC doesn't require a permit. It is among the freest states in the country, whether or not you hold a carry license.

I for one consider this to be almost meaningless.

Too bad they have strict CC requirements and have many PFZs. It's my understanding it's illegal to OC into a place like Walmart that sells alcohol (even with a carry permit). Here is what I found on handgunlaws.us when it comes to places that sell liquor. To me it would really suck to not be able to open carry into places that simply sell liquor, oh wait I do it now! And it does suck! Of course if you have a carry permit you can always conceal there but still. NM may be shall issue but they really don't seem like a very good carry state as far as laws are concerned.

30-7-3. Unlawful Carrying Of A Firearm In Licensed Liquor Establishments. (Restaurant Carry Legal)
A. Unlawful carrying of a firearm in an establishment licensed to dispense alcoholic beverages consists of carrying a loaded or unloaded firearm on any premises licensed by the regulation and licensing department for the dispensing of alcoholic beverages except:
(1) by a law enforcement officer in the lawful discharge of the officer's duties; (2) by a law enforcement officer who is certified pursuant to the Law Enforcement Training Act
acting in accordance with the policies of the officer's law enforcement agency; (3) by the owner, lessee, tenant or operator of the licensed premises or the owner's, lessee's, tenant's
or operator's agents, including privately employed security personnel during the performance of
their duties; (4) by a person carrying a concealed handgun who is in possession of a valid concealed handgun
license for that gun pursuant to the Concealed Handgun Carry Act on the premises of: (a) a licensed establishment that does not sell alcoholic beverages for consumption on the
premises; or (b) a restaurant licensed to sell only beer and wine that derives no less than sixty percent of its
annual gross receipts from the sale of food for consumption on the premises, unless the restaurant has a sign posted, in a conspicuous location at each public entrance, prohibiting the carrying of firearms, or the person is verbally instructed by the owner or manager that the carrying of a firearm is not permitted in the restaurant;
(5) by a person in that area of the licensed premises usually and primarily rented on a daily or short- term basis for sleeping or residential occupancy, including hotel or motel rooms;
(6) by a person on that area of a licensed premises primarily used for vehicular traffic or parking; or (7) for the purpose of temporary display, provided that the firearm is:
(a) made completely inoperative before it is carried onto the licensed premises and remains inoperative while it is on the licensed premises; and
(b) under the control of the licensee or an agent of the licensee while the firearm is on the licensed premises.
B. Whoever commits unlawful carrying of a firearm in an establishment licensed to dispense alcoholic beverages is guilty of a fourth degree felony. The effective date of the provisions of this act is July 1, 2010.

stainless1911

Banned
Too bad they have strict CC requirements and have many PFZs. It's my understanding it's illegal to OC into a place like Walmart that sells alcohol (even with a carry permit). Here is what I found on handgunlaws.us when it comes to places that sell liquor. To me it would really suck to not be able to open carry into places that simply sell liquor, oh wait I do it now! And it does suck! Of course if you have a carry permit you can always conceal there but still. NM may be shall issue but they really don't seem like a very good carry state as far as laws are concerned.

Would be easier to just ban alcohol. Solves so many problems.

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
Partial sarcasm. But give the choice between one or the other, yes. The impact on society from alcohol is often tragic, from pot, its usually just amusing.

I actually agree on this one... but only if a choice between the two is made and everything else is equal. But, its not.
OT:
I emailed the Office of the MI Attorney General to inform them of the change.

xmanhockey7

It's now being reported NM is backing down on some of the states. This is their current list, which Michigan is on.

As we continue our audit and make changes accordingly, this page will be updated to reflect the most current information. This information is current as of May 1, 2012
New Mexico currently recognizes concealed carry permits from or has reciprocal agreements with the following states: Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado, Delaware, Florida, Kansas, Louisiana, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, Nebraska, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia and West Virginia.

Last edited:

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
It's now being reported NM is backing down on some of the states. This is their current list, which Michigan is on.

Can you imagine being there on vacation and being cited for CC w/out a permit? Depending on what day and time you are stopped, you could either be legal or illegal. What a bunch of @$$&*!#$ :banghead:

xmanhockey7

Unless they change their minds again.

Their website says they still honor MI's CPL.

http://www.dps.nm.org/index.php/nm-concealed-carry/reciprocity-agreements/
As we continue our audit and make changes accordingly, this page will be updated to reflect the most current information. This information is current as of May 1, 2012
New Mexico currently recognizes concealed carry permits from or has reciprocal agreements with the following states: Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado, Delaware, Florida, Kansas, Louisiana, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, Nebraska, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia and West Virginia.

Michigander

Planned to leave next week with an other rider for the four corners. Was going CC most of the way and travel through NM but I'll suggest that we travel through Colorado. Harleys will burn Colorado gas just as well. We are still good for AZ and UT according to www.handgunlaw.us
.springerdave.

Just don't go through Nebraska with a busted EGR valve like I did recently. They think 88 octane is "premium".

AZ has constitutional carry. No worries there, aside from make sure you keep it concealed if you're in a restaurant that serves alcohol, and watch out for reservation land.

springerdave

Northern lower & Keweenaw area, Michigan, USA
Just don't go through Nebraska with a busted EGR valve like I did recently. They think 88 octane is "premium".

AZ has constitutional carry. No worries there, aside from make sure you keep it concealed if you're in a restaurant that serves alcohol, and watch out for reservation land.

Never made it to the Four Corners, Spent more time in the south and made it to Paris Texas before turning north through OK then AR and then home. Good times, good roads, good company. Next time- MORE time(had to get back so as not to miss out on the arrival of 2nd grandbaby)(still waiting) and just reminding myself that it is the journey not the destination that counts most.springerdave

NHCGRPR45

Can you imagine being there on vacation and being cited for CC w/out a permit? Depending on what day and time you are stopped, you could either be legal or illegal. What a bunch of @$$&*!#$ :banghead:

This makes my life easier since I commute to work from Texas to New Mexico.:banana: