• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC dinner/city council meeting in Birmingham on June 11th?

Small_Arms_Collector

Well a very unexpected thing happened today, I received a phone call from a reporter from the Birmingham Eccentric newspaper. I believe Mr. Makowski had given them my phone number after our conversation the other day. They wanted comment on the planned rally we have in the works. I informed them I am NOT in any governing position here or at MOC or a spokesperson for either just a member and an average law abiding citizen concerned about keeping and exercising our rights.

When asked why I was partaking, I replied I am concerned about the abuse of PD power and the obvious violations of Mr. Combs civil rights. The actions of the Birmingham PD amounted to a bunch of jack booted thugs reminiscent of the tactics of the Gestapo in Nazi Germany. I further went on to say I am a firm believer in the constitutional right to bear arms and fully intend to demonstrate that fact.

He asked what our plans were and I informed him we were going to have a picnic then march down to the city council meeting to voice our disapproval in the way the situation was handled and because of their actions they have now opened themselves up to civil and federal liability and potential lawsuits for civil rights violations. He inquired if I was going to be armed, I chuckled a little then replied "Of course, with multiple firearms".

He asked how many would be attending? I replied I'm not sure but we hope to have over a dozen if not more including my 80 year old mother. To that he replied she carries? My response was, she will probably be the old woman carrying a (not mentionable here), he just laughed :)

I hope I did not overstep my bounds by making comment on this matter but I was floored that I received the call in the first place and not knowing who the "Official" spokesperson was I figured any positive press on the matter would be a good thing. If members wish me from refraining to talking to the press I will gladly oblige, or if someone could provide me with the contact info for the "Official" spokesperson I will forward it to the reporter. He said he would call me next week for further comment on the matter but it was close to press time and he just wanted to get something in the paper for this weekends article. (I pray that my quotes are accurate and not taken out of context)

I am not the most articulate spokesperson in the world but would be happy to take point and relay any and all comments/positions/issues presented here on the matter if no one else wants to and there are no objections.

Hevy

I guess I kind of "started it". So if they are looking for someone to talk to I guess I can field their questions. Because of the (unmentionables) this isn't officially sanctioned my MOC as far as I know. Check your PM in case they call again.

Hevymetal

I guess I kind of "started it". So if they are looking for someone to talk to I guess I can field their questions. Because of the (unmentionables) this isn't officially sanctioned my MOC as far as I know. Check your PM in case they call again.

PM received and returned :)

MOC may not be directly supporting this particular event because of the issue of (unmentionables) although I would really hope members including some of the leaders here and over there would attend to show their disapproval against the illegal actions of the PD as well as the insane nature of the requirement of being 21 to purchase from FFL/conceal carry.

I know there are ALOT of members here and over at MOC that are VERY well versed in MCL code (way more then I) and they would be of invaluable help in case the PD (or anyone else for that matter) needs a refresher course in the law. It would also go a long way to bolster our numbers. Having the expertise in the law and public speaking on our side. It would be a great benefit to us all.

While I'm sure we do not all agree LGOC is a wise or prudent thing, I would think we can all agree (hopefully) the actions of the PD in this case were illegal and they need to be called out it. If they believe they can get away with this with no resistance and complete impunity, what's to stop them from harassing and throwing bogus charges against ANYONE who OCs a handgun in their city?

my $.02

Hevy

stainless1911

Banned
PM received and returned :)

I know there are ALOT of members here and over at MOC that are VERY well versed in MCL code (way more then I) and they would be of invaluable help in case the PD (or anyone else for that matter) needs a refresher course in the law. It would also go a long way to bolster our numbers. Having the expertise in the law and public speaking on our side. It would be a great benefit to us all.

While I'm sure we do not all agree LGOC is a wise or prudent thing, I would think we can all agree (hopefully) the actions of the PD in this case were illegal and they need to be called out it. If they believe they can get away with this with no resistance and complete impunity, what's to stop them from harassing and throwing bogus charges against ANYONE who OCs a handgun in their city?

Hevy

What exactly is the plan if we are arrested, or our weapons confiscated? Are we going to fight together, or as individuals?

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
PM inbound

What exactly is the plan if we are arrested, or our weapons confiscated? Are we going to fight together, or as individuals?

I doubt they would be that foolish, being that there will be much press on hand. However never say never. I am sending you a PM. Some parts of our plans should be done out of LEO view, as I am sure you & others must realize they are watching this thread closely.

NHCGRPR45

Looking forward to it, I took the time off to come back to MI to attend this event. If all the news reports are correct this young man should get the case dismissed ASAP! A clear over step of the BPD.

Hevymetal

CC me on any relevant info.

Might I suggest a planning meeting for those wishing to plan/attend to discuss strategy, legal issues, procedures for attendees, procedures for transport/storage etc. so we ensure that all proper legal standards are maintained to lessen the possibilities of any infractions. ie an excuse for harassment/detention or even worse.

Any input we could gleen from any members willing to contribute be it knowledge, participation, attendance or even a wooden nickle :) including Q, Dr todd any MOC board members or anyone more versed in the correct way to organize, make a concise media position, press releases, relevant MCL codes. Case sites and/or specific info that the PD violated.

The more info and preperation we can do ahead of time the better the results.

If it is easier I can arrange to use of a Teamspeak server or we could hook up at a local restraunt.

Hevy

NHCGRPR45

No this is a meeting before that to plan out the various outcomes with this show of support for the young man. A strategy session in case BPD decides to over step their bounds again either at the park, on the way to the council meeting or at the council meeting.

Heres some suggestions that I think are good ideas.

1. We need to have 1 spokesman who fields all questions to law enforcement should they decide to intervene, which they very well might.
2. The spokesman should be a very good speaker with an intimate knowledge of the laws governing this situation and Open Carry LGOC and pistol, even
though they are exactly the same as it pertains to this situation many might think otherwise.
3.We keep our statements on point, short and concise.
4. We be as non-confrontational as the situation allows.
5. We should have audio and video running at all times if posible.
6. We should dress well because we will most certainly be on the news of some kind, print or video, probably both.

natethreet

Well a very unexpected thing happened today, I received a phone call from a reporter from the Birmingham Eccentric newspaper. I believe Mr. Makowski had given them my phone number after our conversation the other day. They wanted comment on the planned rally we have in the works. I informed them I am NOT in any governing position here or at MOC or a spokesperson for either just a member and an average law abiding citizen concerned about keeping and exercising our rights.

When asked why I was partaking, I replied I am concerned about the abuse of PD power and the obvious violations of Mr. Combs civil rights. The actions of the Birmingham PD amounted to a bunch of jack booted thugs reminiscent of the tactics of the Gestapo in Nazi Germany. I further went on to say I am a firm believer in the constitutional right to bear arms and fully intend to demonstrate that fact.

He asked what our plans were and I informed him we were going to have a picnic then march down to the city council meeting to voice our disapproval in the way the situation was handled and because of their actions they have now opened themselves up to civil and federal liability and potential lawsuits for civil rights violations. He inquired if I was going to be armed, I chuckled a little then replied "Of course, with multiple firearms".

He asked how many would be attending? I replied I'm not sure but we hope to have over a dozen if not more including my 80 year old mother. To that he replied she carries? My response was, she will probably be the old woman carrying a (not mentionable here), he just laughed :)

I hope I did not overstep my bounds by making comment on this matter but I was floored that I received the call in the first place and not knowing who the "Official" spokesperson was I figured any positive press on the matter would be a good thing. If members wish me from refraining to talking to the press I will gladly oblige, or if someone could provide me with the contact info for the "Official" spokesperson I will forward it to the reporter. He said he would call me next week for further comment on the matter but it was close to press time and he just wanted to get something in the paper for this weekends article. (I pray that my quotes are accurate and not taken out of context)

I am not the most articulate spokesperson in the world but would be happy to take point and relay any and all comments/positions/issues presented here on the matter if no one else wants to and there are no objections.

Hevy

Well, you just shot Opsec all to hell...

stainless1911

Banned
No this is a meeting before that to plan out the various outcomes with this show of support for the young man. A strategy session in case BPD decides to over step their bounds again either at the park, on the way to the council meeting or at the council meeting.

Heres some suggestions that I think are good ideas.

1. We need to have 1 spokesman who fields all questions to law enforcement should they decide to intervene, which they very well might.
2. The spokesman should be a very good speaker with an intimate knowledge of the laws governing this situation and Open Carry LGOC and pistol, even
though they are exactly the same as it pertains to this situation many might think otherwise.
3.We keep our statements on point, short and concise.
4. We be as non-confrontational as the situation allows.
5. We should have audio and video running at all times if posible.
6. We should dress well because we will most certainly be on the news of some kind, print or video, probably both.

Whatever happened to WRR?

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
Whatever happened to WRR?

Dude - please, not everyone here is as versed as you on internet slang. Holy fizzy fah shizz nex, bibble, scribble, cold chillin wit my gat, in duh whip etc.... :p

http://www.abbreviations.com/WRR

White rabbit ranch maybe...?

Giving up civil rights for security is a certain way to lose both! :eek:

Last edited:

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
Speaking of Rail Roads...

This thread is getting mired down in 1911 drama. I know this is unintentional, but can we focus on the issue?

On Topic we should PM amongst the group and work on setting up a planning meeting as suggested. We want to represent OC to the best of our ability, and like most things in life the better then planning, the better the outcome (usually). :)

What we really need is a good public speaker such as Mr. Harris, Mr. Jeffs or similar to step in front of the camera's.

Last edited: