• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Primaries are nearly here. Let's discuss Ky candidates.

KYGlockster

Activist Member
I have been receiving campaign literature by the truck load, and though I would see what everyone's opinion is on candidates running for congress and the presidency.

I know Ron Paul has endorsed Thomas Massie for congress, for the 4th district of Ky. I have noticed he has only been in public office for a few years as a judge/exec., and that is probably better than any of the others that have been involved in politics for years. Rand is the best senator we have I believe, and we need more like him in congress. So, does anyone know anything about Massie?

It is my opinion that we need to remove nearly every senator and representative in the federal congress. So what is your take on the candidates? Anyone have any good/bad 2A references to any of them? If obummer gets elected again, we need a senate that will refuse to allow him to appoint extreme Anti-2A justices to the SC, like he has done twice. The next president will be appointing 2-3 justices, and possibly half of the federal district/appeals bench. Thoughts?

MrOverlay

I know Alecia Webb-Edginton is strongly pro-gun and low tax. I believe she either sponsored or co-sponsored many of the pro grun bills in the legislature this year.

I have always thought that if a person is able to understand the true meaning of the Second Amendment, and support it, everything else was possible.

KYGlockster

Activist Member
Yea I have been researching her as well, an also noticed she sponsored all pro-gun legislation this past session. I also read something that said Rand was upset because McConnell? endorsed her, which really makes me worry about the rest of her political beliefs. I think McConnell needs to go as well. He has been in the game to long, and is not fighting for our cause as he should.

Liberty4Ever

You absolutely will not find a more pro-gun candidate than Thomas Massie.

I've been to his house for his son's 13th birthday. He got him a Mossberg 20 gauge, and we shot redneck skeet in his front yard. Thomas also made me a pizza in the wood fired pizza oven in his kitchen... in about two minutes!

After the shooting, Thomas showed me some of his gun collection. Out of propriety I'll avoid specifics, but I was very impressed, and I'm not that easily impressed. :)

Thomas sold some class III weapons to pay for the campaign signs for his 2010 political campaign. He won the election and has served a little over one year as the Lewis County Judge Executive, which is the highest elected official in a county, and is essentially the county manager. In that first year, he saved enough in waste, fraud, graft and corruption to pay his salary for the next three years, and most of those expenses were ongoing expenses. Once eliminated, the savings will compound long after Thomas is gone.

He has a nearly endless supply of these stories of eliminating waste and corruption. It's the stuff TEA Party activists tell their kids as bedtime stories.

In short, Thomas Massie is great on gun rights, but he's great on everything!

I snapped a picture of Thomas at a Take Back Kentucky meeting, back before he was running for congress. He wore some respectable clothing, but he flashed me the T-shirt he had on underneath. It had the Starbucks logo, but the Starbucks chick was holding a pistol in each hand, and around the outside it said "GUNS & COFFEE".

GunsNCoffee.png

DISCLAIMER: I've already donated money to Thomas' campaign on three occasions, and I drove a gun buddy's 14' box truck with 4' X 8' Thomas Massie For Congress signs around Rupp Arena for a few hours the afternoon that the northern Kentucky schools were playing in the Sweet 16.

I'd encourage you to go to YouTube and search for Thomas Massie, and listen to him in his own words, speaking at TEA party events. These were amateur videos and weren't intended for campaign ads, so the technical quality is generally poor, but the material is grade A prime. He looks kinda geeky, because he is, but he's a dude and a half. His life story is nothing short of amazing. He grew up in a holler in very rural Lewis County, one of the poorest counties in Kentucky. He went to MIT and earned a BS in electrical engineering and an MS in mechanical engineering. He and his wife (and high school sweetheart) started a high tech company, received multiple patents, and created a lot of high paying jobs. He sold the company because they wanted to move back home and raise their kids in Kentucky instead of Massachusetts. He built a solar powered off the grid stone and timber frame house. It's very cool. There's a Nerf weapon of some sort on nearly every horizontal surface. You never know when one of his kids will ambush you in a savage barrage of Nerf boolits... which are all over the house, much to the chagrin of Thomas' wife.

Since the start of this race, I've been billing it as Rand 2.0, and last week's first poll confirmed it.

32% Thomas Massie
22% Alecia Webb-Edgington
17% Gary Moore

I look for that to break even more toward Thomas once people start paying attention to the candidates in this very abbreviated race. The other long term career politicians have huge name recognition in the very populous counties south of Cincinnati. For Thomas Massie from the Lewis County backwater to be so far ahead at this point is amazing.

Thomas Massie is VERY intelligent, but he's even more gifted with common sense. He's 100% pro-gun, very fiscally conservative, and he's a practical minded problem solver. He's renounced the very lucrative congressional pension and platinum plated gold congressional health care plan (while we get ObamaCare), so you know he's not running for the perks of the office.

Last edited:

garyh9900

I'm glad I am not a resident of the district. I would have a tough time deciding between Massie and Edgington. They are both very conservative. From reading some of the posts on here, it appears Massie is a very pro-gun candidate. I like what I read about the NFA weapons. Webb-Edgington has a record to run on, and a good one at that. She is tough as nails(she was the post captain in Richmond when I was at DOCJT, she was a guest instructor, and I liked her from the that day on.

Liberty4Ever

I think McConnell needs to go as well. He has been in the game too long, and is not fighting for our cause as he should.

+1

Mitch McConnell showed his true colors when he twisted the arms of Republican senators to pass the TARP-1 bailouts for the "too big to fail" banks... the same banks that were the top contributors to his campaign.

McConnell also picked Bill Clinton delegate Democrat turned RINO Republican Trey Grayson to replace Jim Bunning after forcing Bunning out of the US Senate. Fortunately, We the People elected Rand Paul instead.

A lot of Republicans had voted for McConnell for many years and thought they were doing a good thing, but have now taken a long hard look at him and realized he was not the conservative he seemed to be. He's enough of a politician to hide it most of the time by having a decent voting record while often working for the big government cronyism that Kentuckians don't want.

2014 can't come soon enough to retire McConnell... just like the Utah TEA party replaced McConnell's buddy Bob Bennett with liberty candidate Mike Lee in 2010, and Indiana just retired neocon Dick Luger after 36 years in office to replace him with TEA Party candidate Richard Mourdock.

The bad news? When we vote these establishment hacks out of office, they become DC lobbyists. Hopefully their replacements will be immune to the lobbyists, and it's a net gain.

hotrod

I will promise all who read these greetings, I WILL NOT vote for Gary Moore. He really changed after becoming the Boone County Judge Exec.

Liberty4Ever

I will promise all who read these greetings, I WILL NOT vote for Gary Moore. He really changed after becoming the Boone County Judge Exec.

I just talked to my 80 year old mom on the phone. My parents live in Ashland, so they're in the 4th district. She was telling me about a mailer she received for Thomas Massie. She said it didn't make any sense. It turns out it was "Paid for by Gary Moore for Congress". It was the sleazy attack ad, and was 99% fact free.

It looks like the GOP primary fix is in. I thought the establishment GOP might force Gary Moore out so he and Alecia Webb-Edgington weren't splitting the non-TEA party vote, but instead, they took the low road and Gary Moore is their attack dog. By slinging all of these lies and muck, he tears down Thomas Massie and himself, to give the advantage to Webb-Edgington.

I hate politics.

Kentucky politics can be particularly slimy. At least it's not Louisiana or Chicago.

MrOverlay

I believe the NRA has endorsed Edginton in this election. Some may view that as good and some may view that as bad. While I don't agree with everything the NRA does, I think they are a positive influence in our fight for gun rights.

garyh9900

I believe the NRA has endorsed Edginton in this election. Some may view that as good and some may view that as bad. While I don't agree with everything the NRA does, I think they are a positive influence in our fight for gun rights.
The NRA basis their endorsements strictly on a candidates 2nd amendment views and history, nothing else in the political spectrum matters to them, that is why they will endorse a democrat just as easily as a republican. That is why they have the clout they do. Webb-Edgington has a 2nd amendment record as a legislator, where the other 2 don't, they only have their views.

Liberty4Ever

I don't care if the NRA endorses Democrats over Republicans. They should endorse the most pro-gun candidate. They tend to strongly favor incumbents.

I have a friend who was running for a state senate seat in northern central Kentucky in 2010. The incumbent was a Democrat who I'd probably rate as 50% pro-gun. He essentially voted however he needed to vote to get the NRA endorsement. My friend, meanwhile, is rabid in his defense of all individual rights, particularly including gun rights. He answered the NRA survey and they dinged him because they didn't like his answer to one question. The NRA wanted him to be in favor of the federal government forcing states to unify their concealed carry laws. My friend knew that was the NRA position, but he also knew that giving the federal government unconstitutional power to force gun laws on states was very dangerous. While we'd all like convenient, easy to understand, and uniform concealed carry laws between the states, giving that power to the federal government is very dangerous and will cause much more harm than good. The NRA gave my friend a provisional B rating, and they gave the middle of the road Democrat incumbent an A rating.

I knew that sort of thing happened, and I decided to look at the NRA endorsements in other state races. I ignored the races where I didn't know the candidates, but in the many races where I knew the candidates and their gun rights voting records, I found a strong NRA bias for the incumbents, and I was shocked at how often the better NRA rating went to the candidate who was actually weaker on gun rights.

In the 4th district, Thomas Massie has essentially no gun voting record. That issue doesn't come up that often for the Lewis County judge executive. Alecia Webb-Edgington has been in office much longer than Thomas and gun rights issues do come before the state legislature. Alecia Webb-Edgington has been a strong supporter of gun rights. She didn't sponsor any of the gun rights bills in Frankfort this year, but she did cosponsor pro-gun bills and she votes pro-gun. I wouldn't criticize her on gun rights at all. We need more pro-gun legislators.

I do, however, stick to my statement earlier in this thread. You will not find a more pro-gun candidate than Thomas Massie. He will not only vote pro-gun in Congress, he'll not only co-sponsor pro-gun legislation... he'll introduce legislation to defend and restore our gun rights and he'll fight hard to champion that cause. He'll secure votes from others to pass pro-gun bills. Pro-gun support is great, but pro-gun leadership is much better.

garyh9900

I don't care if the NRA endorses Democrats over Republicans. They should endorse the most pro-gun candidate. They tend to strongly favor incumbents.

I have a friend who was running for a state senate seat in northern central Kentucky in 2010. The incumbent was a Democrat who I'd probably rate as 50% pro-gun. He essentially voted however he needed to vote to get the NRA endorsement. My friend, meanwhile, is rabid in his defense of all individual rights, particularly including gun rights. He answered the NRA survey and they dinged him because they didn't like his answer to one question. The NRA wanted him to be in favor of the federal government forcing states to unify their concealed carry laws. My friend knew that was the NRA position, but he also knew that giving the federal government unconstitutional power to force gun laws on states was very dangerous. While we'd all like convenient, easy to understand, and uniform concealed carry laws between the states, giving that power to the federal government is very dangerous and will cause much more harm than good. The NRA gave my friend a provisional B rating, and they gave the middle of the road Democrat incumbent an A rating.

I knew that sort of thing happened, and I decided to look at the NRA endorsements in other state races. I ignored the races where I didn't know the candidates, but in the many races where I knew the candidates and their gun rights voting records, I found a strong NRA bias for the incumbents, and I was shocked at how often the better NRA rating went to the candidate who was actually weaker on gun rights.

In the 4th district, Thomas Massie has essentially no gun voting record. That issue doesn't come up that often for the Lewis County judge executive. Alecia Webb-Edgington has been in office much longer than Thomas and gun rights issues do come before the state legislature. Alecia Webb-Edgington has been a strong supporter of gun rights. She didn't sponsor any of the gun rights bills in Frankfort this year, but she did cosponsor pro-gun bills and she votes pro-gun. I wouldn't criticize her on gun rights at all. We need more pro-gun legislators.

I do, however, stick to my statement earlier in this thread. You will not find a more pro-gun candidate than Thomas Massie. He will not only vote pro-gun in Congress, he'll not only co-sponsor pro-gun legislation... he'll introduce legislation to defend and restore our gun rights and he'll fight hard to champion that cause. He'll secure votes from others to pass pro-gun bills. Pro-gun support is great, but pro-gun leadership is much better.
A lot of conservatives take issue with the NRA for failing to consider other conservative causes when making endorsements. The NRA does have an incumbent policy. With only very few exception if an incumbent, who has been supportive of the NRA's efforts is running for reelection they will endorse that incumbent over someone who may be even more friendly. Which races are you talking about? I looked over the Kentucky information on the NRA page and I didn't see anything stand out at me, other than the NRA endorsed Marie Raider(who I really dislike).

Last edited:

Acuzio

Random two cents from me but I'd make a poor elected official, I'd be spending a large ammount of time asking people what they think of bill X or law Y.

flb_78

A lot of conservatives take issue with the NRA for failing to consider other conservative causes when making endorsements. The NRA does have an incumbent policy. With only very few exception if an incumbent, who has been supportive of the NRA's efforts is running for reelection they will endorse that incumbent over someone who may be even more friendly. Which races are you talking about? I looked over the Kentucky information on the NRA page and I didn't see anything stand out at me, other than the NRA endorsed Marie Raider(who I really dislike).

NRA endorsed Harry Reid. That ruffled a bunch of feathers a couple years ago. They endorsed him in July and then in August, they unendorsed him because of the backlash.

Midwest

Boone County Rep Addia Wuchner co-sponsored the Kentucky Castle Doctrine legislation and received a A Rating from the NRA. Besides her being a nurse, she is also a breast cancer survivor too. She seems to have a solid record. No I do not work or volunteer for her campaign, just passing information along.

http://addiawuchner.com/?page_id=482

"I am a member of the NRA and a gun-owner. I was co-sponsor of the Kentucky Castle Doctrine legislation. I have an “A” legislative rating with the NRA. I believe that law-abiding citizens have the right to defend themselves and their families."

http://addiawuchner.com/

"State Representative Addia Wuchner is wife, mother, grandmother, businesswoman and nurse. She is a member of the Kentucky House of Representatives, serving the people of the 66th District in Boone County since 2005. Addia’s passion for Kentucky runs deep; her family settled in the area today known as Rockcastle County as they were granted land for military service in the Revolutionary War.

As a fiscal conservative, Representative Wuchner has diligently worked to reduce government spending and has stood against tax increases on Kentucky’s citizens and businesses. Conservative organizations that rank fiscal policy have consistently ranked Representative Wuchner at the top. In 2008, she received the Defender of Economic Freedom Award from Kentucky Club for Growth.

Throughout her tenure in the Kentucky General Assembly, Addia has stood firm on her conservative values:
 Pro Kentucky Families, Pro Life, Pro Gun, Pro-Kentucky Jobs and a strong Kentucky for the next generation.

Addia is registered nurse and has been a dedicated health care professional for twenty-six years. In the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina, Addia volunteered on one of Kentucky’s first medical response teams in New Orleans.

In 2006, Addia was diagnosed with breast cancer, but that didn’t slow down her pace. She just added breast health awareness to her list of presentations, “Not Just Fighting and Surviving, but THRIVING” and “Joy, in the Shadow of the Cross.” During the 2008 Relay for Life, Wuchner’s Team of Champions for a Cure, donned pink boxing gloves as they walked to raise awareness and funding for breast and childhood cancers.

In 2009, Addia helped to organize the Kentucky Thorough-Breasts – “Fillies for the Cure”- Kentucky’s first Breast Cancer Survivor Dragon Boat Racing Team. As co-founder/Executive Director and team coxswain, Addia and her team of over twenty breast cancer survivors represent Kentucky women paddling/competing both nationally and internationally promoting health awareness and active lifestyle. Her personal message, “wrapped in the diagnoses of cancer comes a gift tied in pink ribbons, which is found not by just fighting and surviving, but thriving and giving back to others.”

Wuchner receives key endorsements
May 8, 2012

Rep. Addia Wuchner is the only candidate endorsed by:
Sen. Jim and Mary Bunning
Rep. Geoff and Patti Davis
Northern Kentucky Right to Life
Kentucky Right to Life
NRA – National Rifle Association
Kentucky Association of Realtors
Northern Kentucky Association of Realtors

Cottonbaler

The 4th District race looks like one of those situations if you're a gun owner you can't go wrong with any of them. I'm in the 3rd District and so I don't have a dog in the fight but it seems to me the "Establishment" is supporting Alicia Edgington and the "Tea Party candidate" is Thomas Massey.

Both are GTG on firearms and liberty but because she's a State Rep. and he's "only" a County Judge-Executive (who by the way was elected to that position thanks to tremendous local grassroots support of his uncovering wasteful county spending before he was elected), the state GOP apparatus is helping her. In that context, voters in the 4th district should vote for the guy who's closer to the people and If I lived in the District I'd be voting for Thomas Massey.

Last edited: