• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Any one following HB 111?

Jason Sculthorpe

http://www.ncleg.net/gascripts/BillLookUp/BillLookUp.pl?Session=2011&BillID=H111&votesToView=all

Its to allow you to carry in restaurants that serve alcohol if you are a CCW holder. Obviously you cannot drink while in possession of your weapon and I support that but I'm really annoyed that as some one that never drinks, I have to follow a law put in place to "protect" people from something that doesn't apply to me.

I found a website to sign a Petition but I don't know much about the organization.

http://www.grnc.org/restaurant-carry-petition

papa bear

welcome to the forum.

if you don't know much on the GRNC.org. check out our website and i hope you will join us.

i know what you mean, i too do not drink. but, one of the main problems with the current law is that private businesses can not make a decision either. it should be none of the states business if a property owner allows me to carry or not. ( even if they don't), that should be between us

dmatting

An exerpt from the latest GRNC mailing...
Restaurant Carry Will Get a Vote!

I met with staff for Senate President Pro Tem Phil Berger recently, and I want you know that the thousands of calls, emails and postcards you have sent, demanding a committee vote for restaurant carry in House Bill 111, are having an impact: We now have a green light for a committee vote on the bill.

But don't let up now, immediately call and email Senator Phil Berger at (919) 733-5708 and Phil.Berger@ncleg.net. Thank him for promising a hearing on HB 111, and remind him that you will be monitoring the bill's progress via Grass Roots North Carolina legislative alerts.

F. Paul Valone
President, Grass Roots North Carolina

chiefjason

you cant drink if your carrying concealed anyway, so what is the big deal with allowing it?

Politics is no place for logic or common sense. Stop that. I've always heard drinking and guns don't mix. And they are right. I throw my gun in the JD Black and not only will it not mix, it makes it taste like CLP.

Dreamer

you cant drink if your carrying concealed anyway, so what is the big deal with allowing it?

Yes, but just because a restaurant SERVES alcohol does not require me to DRINK it...

The law in NC currently forbids anyone to carry in any Pizza Hut, Ruby Tuesdays, Olive Garden, almost EVERY Asian restaurant (Chinese,Japanese, Thai, etc) or ANY OTHER place that serves alcohol--whether or not they are planning to imbibe themselves.

I like to go to nice restaurants with my wife and family. Most "upscale" restaurants serve alcohol. Under NC law, I currently am forbiddento enter such establishments if I am carrying--DESPITE the fact that I rarely drink, and am almost ALWAYS the "designated driver" as well as the "designated OC/CCer" when we go out. If my wife, or my in-laws, or my 27-year-old daughters want to have a glass of wine with dinner, then I can either not go out with them, or I must go unarmed and defenseless under current NC law.

I don't know about you, but NEITHER of those options are acceptable for me.

In VA, I can OC or CC in ANY restaurant--whether they only serve iced tea, or have a fully-stocked bar. The legislature in VA understands that the mere presence of alcohol in an establishment DOES NOT instantly turn every patron into a raving drunken maniac. Why can't NC's legislature understand that?

Currently, if I want to go to a restaurant like this with my family, I must:

1) leave my gun in my car--unattended, in a dark parking lot with no security so that any thug who might want to steal it will have a pretty easy go of it (well, except for the fact that it's in a lock box that is secured to the chassis with aircraft-grade stainless steel cables) and
2) sit in a restaurant with my family with NO MEANS of self defense.

Current NC law actually CONTRIBUTES to the illegal gun problem in NC. The NC DOJ's own web site says that over 70% of handguns reported stolen in NC are stolen from vehicles Maybe if we weren't forced by this stupid "establishments that serve alcohol" ban, those numbers would come WAY down.

Because it's a LOT more difficult for some thug to steal my gun from the level-2 retention holster on my hip than it is from a car that is left unattended for a few hours.

Are you REALLY so daft that you didn't think this thing out before posting a ridiculous comment like that?

Last edited:

Superlite27

I've never really understood why those who have had a beer with their pizza deserve to be shot and killed.

I can understand why folks who do not drink alcohol feel righteous in their indignation at being disarmed based on the drinking habits of others. But, I've never really understood why someone who drinks a beer doesn't deserve to carry a tool that will save their life. Evidently, once a CH2H6O molecule passes one's lips, not only is any moral authority sacrificed, the right to defend one's self is also patronizingly frowned upon as If any scumbag, evildoer who dares take the devil into his or her mouth in the form of that eeeeeviiillll known as alcohol deserves the bullet from any mugger or rapist he or she encounters.

Unless someone wants to argue that drunk people don't deserve to be rendered helpless in the face of armed attackers? (We all know vicious criminals NEVER prey upon the inebriated, right?)

...and If they did, the drunk bastards deserve the killing they might get, right?

Because they obviously don't deserve to defend themselves.

cricketdad

http://www.ncleg.net/gascripts/BillLookUp/BillLookUp.pl?Session=2011&BillID=H111&votesToView=all

Its to allow you to carry in restaurants that serve alcohol if you are a CCW holder. Obviously you cannot drink while in possession of your weapon and I support that but I'm really annoyed that as some one that never drinks, I have to follow a law put in place to "protect" people from something that doesn't apply to me.

I found a website to sign a Petition but I don't know much about the organization.

http://www.grnc.org/restaurant-carry-petition

I hope you signed the petition. In a couple of weeks these petitions will be delivered to Phil Berger's office. There are thousands of them. Go to GRNC.org and sign up to get our alerts. We have been promised a committee hearing.

carsontech

Activist Member
I've never really understood why those who have had a beer with their pizza deserve to be shot and killed.

I can understand why folks who do not drink alcohol feel righteous in their indignation at being disarmed based on the drinking habits of others. But, I've never really understood why someone who drinks a beer doesn't deserve to carry a tool that will save their life. Evidently, once a CH2H6O molecule passes one's lips, not only is any moral authority sacrificed, the right to defend one's self is also patronizingly frowned upon as If any scumbag, evildoer who dares take the devil into his or her mouth in the form of that eeeeeviiillll known as alcohol deserves the bullet from any mugger or rapist he or she encounters.

Unless someone wants to argue that drunk people don't deserve to be rendered helpless in the face of armed attackers? (We all know vicious criminals NEVER prey upon the inebriated, right?)

...and If they did, the drunk bastards deserve the killing they might get, right?

Because they obviously don't deserve to defend themselves.

+++++1000000

My wife and I have carried openly and/or concealed while having a beer with our meals. In-fact, a few days ago, the wife had a beer with her meal while openly carrying her 1911 in a liberal college town in WV. During that time, and all the others, we never started acting stupid with our self defense tools, brandished them, pointed them at anyone, etc.

NC and SC needs to get with the program. The decision whether to allow our self defense tools into a place that serves alcohol needs to be the private property owner's decision. Similarly, the decision whether to allow an armed person to drink alcohol in a place that serves alcohol needs to be the private property owner's decision

I hope NC gets "restaurant carry" so we can stop in NC more often than we do to eat on the way to and from from our travel destinations.

Last edited:

diablos30

Yes, but just because a restaurant SERVES alcohol does not require me to DRINK it...

The law in NC currently forbids anyone to carry in any Pizza Hut, Ruby Tuesdays, Olive Garden, almost EVERY Asian restaurant (Chinese,Japanese, Thai, etc) or ANY OTHER place that serves alcohol--whether or not they are planning to imbibe themselves.

I like to go to nice restaurants with my wife and family. Most "upscale" restaurants serve alcohol. Under NC law, I currently am forbiddento enter such establishments if I am carrying--DESPITE the fact that I rarely drink, and am almost ALWAYS the "designated driver" as well as the "designated OC/CCer" when we go out. If my wife, or my in-laws, or my 27-year-old daughters want to have a glass of wine with dinner, then I can either not go out with them, or I must go unarmed and defenseless under current NC law.

I don't know about you, but NEITHER of those options are acceptable for me.

In VA, I can OC or CC in ANY restaurant--whether they only serve iced tea, or have a fully-stocked bar. The legislature in VA understands that the mere presence of alcohol in an establishment DOES NOT instantly turn every patron into a raving drunken maniac. Why can't NC's legislature understand that?

Currently, if I want to go to a restaurant like this with my family, I must:

1) leave my gun in my car--unattended, in a dark parking lot with no security so that any thug who might want to steal it will have a pretty easy go of it (well, except for the fact that it's in a lock box that is secured to the chassis with aircraft-grade stainless steel cables) and
2) sit in a restaurant with my family with NO MEANS of self defense.

Current NC law actually CONTRIBUTES to the illegal gun problem in NC. The NC DOJ's own web site says that over 70% of handguns reported stolen in NC are stolen from vehicles Maybe if we weren't forced by this stupid "establishments that serve alcohol" ban, those numbers would come WAY down.

Because it's a LOT more difficult for some thug to steal my gun from the level-2 retention holster on my hip than it is from a car that is left unattended for a few hours.

Are you REALLY so daft that you didn't think this thing out before posting a ridiculous comment like that?

before you jump down my throat (or did you already) i'm on your side. from what i've seen, this bill will will only address cc in places that serve alcohol. what i'm saying is you cant drink when you cc anyway, so why the hell cant i carry in those establishments now? (other than the stupid law telling me i cant) it just seems like a common sense thing, "hey these guys cant drink while cc'ing so why not let them carry into places like restaurants that serve alcohol?"

Superlite27

NC and SC needs to get with the program. The decision whether to allow our self defense tools into a place that serves alcohol needs to be the private property owner's decision. Similarly, the decision whether to allow an armed person to drink alcohol in a place that serves alcohol needs to be the private property owner's decision

I hope NC gets "restaurant carry" so we can stop in NC more often than we do to eat on the way to and from from our travel destinations.

Of course, I was simply going over the top with the sarcasm in my previous post.

But my premise still stands. It seems to be, those who do not partake of alcohol pontificate about the evils of restaraunt carry as if any who do drink are irresponsible and one sip away from going on a shooting spree.

Allowing carry in places that serve doesn't mean those who drink are going to go on a drunken rampage.....but you would think it does after reading many comments on different web sites.

Here in Missouri, there isn't even a prohibition on being armed while inebriated. While you can't carry into a place that earns over 50% of their revenue from the sales of alcohol, (no BAR carry) you can drink a beer in Pizza Hut, or any other restaraunt that serves while armed. You can even legally get completely toasted and walk down to the local Quick Stop to grab another six-pack with your firearm. (Although, I think you might be breaking the public intoxication law). Yet, I have never heard of any CCW holders going on a drunken rampage.

The point is that, even if restaraunt carry is passed, just because it would be legal to carry in a place that serves alcohol doesn't mean those "eeeeeevillll drinkers" are waiting to drink so they can go on a drunken shooting spree. I would imagine the majority of carriers wouldn't touch a drop regardless of its legality. Allowing carry in restarauntls that serve, and the legality of being armed while intoxicated are two different things. Yet, many of the comments I've read seem to suggest that allowing restaraunt carry will mean folks drinking and carrying. It just isn't so. Maybe a few will have a beer with their pizza, or a glass of wine with their steak, but from what I've seen here in Missouri, even with no prohibition against getting fall down drunk and carrying, you'll hardly ever see that. (Much less the inevitable drunken mass murders we're assured of, if restaraunt carry passes in your state.)

It's like any other fearmongering we see when firearms laws have previously been slackened.

When CCW laws were loosened, we were assured "blood will run in the streets!".....never happened.

When National Park carry was allowed, "AAAAAGH! They'll be shootings on the hiking trails!"...never happened.

There are always predictions of doom and gloom when firearm regulations are lightened.

It rarely happens. Face it: Those who are responsible enough to carry a gun are responsible people in general. This also means responsibly using alcohol. Or, at least, being responsible enough to be trusted to make the decision for themselves, rather than have The Almighty State pre-empt their decision by banning it so they don't have the freedom to make one in the first place.

Last edited:

lannie

I hope you signed the petition. In a couple of weeks these petitions will be delivered to Phil Berger's office. There are thousands of them. Go to GRNC.org and sign up to get our alerts. We have been promised a committee hearing.

You can also sign the petition at the Gun Show in Raleigh this weekend. Just stop by the GRNC table.
Lannie

smlawrence

I have to say that I agree. Currently, I have to disarm so that I might take my wife to a nice restaurant or dancing because of the sale of alcohol. I might have a beer with my dinner. Once we leave I OC to finish going any other places we might need to go and everytime I can say that I have never once thought about just pulling my gun for any reason. I have full attention on everything going on around us. If a night comes up where we want to go to the bar and listen to a band we know and I end up drinking enough to alter my thought process, then I be sure that my gun is secure to where only my wife can access it if necessary. It would be nice not to have to disarm just because we want to eat somewhere other than McDonalds or Panera Bread. Being Responsible is the key as mentioned before.

Medic1210

before you jump down my throat (or did you already) i'm on your side. from what i've seen, this bill will will only address cc in places that serve alcohol. what i'm saying is you cant drink when you cc anyway, so why the hell cant i carry in those establishments now? (other than the stupid law telling me i cant) it just seems like a common sense thing, "hey these guys cant drink while cc'ing so why not let them carry into places like restaurants that serve alcohol?"

That clears up your last post. Originally it sounded like you were saying there was no need for HB 111 because you couldn't drink while CC so there should be no reason to carry in a restaurant that serves alcohol.

As for actually drinking while carrying, I guess I've just seen too many folks act stupid after they drink a few, and without the law, these folks might be more inclined to pull the gun under their chemically induced state of poor judgement. Now, that being said, I'm only saying why I can understand the need for the law. I definitely know that I can drink a few beers without getting stupid, and feel I shouldn't be legislated out of my right to self defense just because I had a couple drinks. Unfortunately it only takes one bad apple to spoil the bunch.