• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

"i don't blame the economy, i blame guns."

Gil223

"I don't blame the economy, I blame guns." This was the comment made by the mother of a convenience store clerk in Aurora, CO after her son - the clerk on duty - was shot during an armed robbery (Surveillance video of the shooting and robbery below)

http://www.9news.com/news/article/265711/339/Store-clerk-grateful-to-be-alive-after-robbery-shooting

The unthinking - and the ignorant - always seek to put blame on the gun, an inanimate object. Yet the gun is just a tool - a tool misused by those who are too lazy to work a job themselves, so they use that tool to relieve others of their earnings. Punishing the gun, or more accurately the law abiding owners of guns, would simply result in the use of other "tools" to commit crimes. So, just to be sure, let's also ban machetes, knives, baseball bats, golf clubs, lumber, spear guns, axe handles, hammers, screwdrivers, anything pointy and cars while we're "making the public safer". I'm sure there are many other things that could be incorporated into that list of evil tools. I have a unique idea... let's put the blame on the criminals, and start doubling their "minimum mandatory" sentences when they use a firearm to facilitate the commission of any crime. If they fire that weapon during the crime, increase the minimum sentence to 15 years. Further, if the projectile they fired should strike anybody - 25 years minimum! Just my thoughts. Pax...

ComradeV

Campaign Veteran
Idealists may be disheartened by the expanding amount of firearms in private stocks throughout the country, but when we estimate that there are over 90 guns per 100 people legally held in this country, there is essentially zero chance of seizing these or otherwise "getting them off the street".

The sensible person who is concerned with public safety ought to seek longer sentences for violent felons and prudent investments in education.

Wasting public funds on enforcing unenforceable laws that have little to no redeeming public safety value is a snipe hunt.

Beretta92FSLady

Yea, since mandatory minimums have worked wonders; take mandatory minimums for crack possession. Then what will we have, an individual that is even more institutionalized after doing a fifteen year stint ans opposed to a seven year stint. Yea, society would be a much 'better' place if we increase mandatory minimums.

We ignore the root of most of these issues; they aren't firearms; they aren't our Nation NOT being tough on crime. They are Economic, they are Cultural.

rushcreek2

Good grief !!! I hardly know where to begin my rant on this one.

1. Convenience store is owned by the clerk's parents = the family chooses to operate a business that is unquestionably at the top of the "preferred provider" directory for those who engage in this "cowardly way to make their money" - Are these people for real ? The "cowards" (really ???) - I could have sworn they were armed robbers and attempted murderers.

2. Since Mom & POP actually OWN this C/S - what has precluded THEM from taking measure to enhance their safety and security - such as a having of a protective bullet resistant barrier at the counter, absolutely no one works alone in OUR family owned C/S at any time policy, and perhaps considering investing in one of those "evil" guns for their own protection.

My initial sympathy for this family is withering rapidly since they come across not only as apologists for the criminals who shot the son, and robbed them of their hard-earned fruits of labor.

But that ignorant display of utter stupidity is not enough. They decide to mount their own little Mom & Pop war on the right to bear arms , while seemingly being unable to connect the finger of the sociopath to the trigger on HIS GUN. PHHHEEEEWWWW.......!!! Let me out of here !

OC for ME

I'm not disputing that. You mean to tell me that the Negro population has that high of a percentage of people that are "just thugs?"
My be, I do not know one way or the other, geographically speaking. As a segment of the population, likely not. But anecdotal evidence is singularly compelling.

davidmcbeth

Banned
A mother complaining about he lost child ... give it the weight it deserves .. but she has the right to blame whoever/whatever she likes.

Whitney

Confused

I'm not disputing that. You mean to tell me that the Negro population has that high of a percentage of people that are "just thugs?"

While I agree there are cultural and economic disparities throughout the country it seems your comment was designed purposefully to denigrate people of color, specifically the entire Negro population. Are you disputing something or are you seeking meaningful conversation? I do not mean to put words in someone else's mouth but I did not interpret OC for ME the same way it appears you did. Sometimes there are bad apples among the "human race" and they must live with the decisions they make despite their color, environment, and economic condition.

~Whitney

ComradeV

Campaign Veteran
Fundamental Attribution Error.
When we make mistakes or do bad things it must be situational. I was late because traffic was bad. When others do these things it must be dispositional. He was late because he's lazy.

Jake8x7

Activist Member
It's the economy, stupid.

And to the race bait question: Black people don't commit more violent crimes per capital than white because they're "evil blacks", it's because they are statistically more poor than whites. It's mostly about the economy and poverty. "Cultural influences" are less of a factor, although they still exist. Look at any country in the world and the poor and the product of broken families who need mental help that fall into this ****, not certain races. Just as a black person robs another black in Chicago with a knife for 20$, a poor "trailer trash" wife beating white guy is cooking meth in a 2-liter bottle in his garage and stealing air conditioning units on the weekends, shotgun in tow. What's the common denominator: lack of education, lack of family unit, lack of stable childhood, and lack of wealth. I'm not saying it's any excuse for an individuals actions, but this is why the Constitutions upholds INDIVIDUAL rights and not COLLECTIVE rights. End poverty and most of this **** will go away (which no one, including the government, has figured out how to fix entirely).

From a white guy with common sense,
Jake8x7

Last edited:

Jake8x7

Activist Member
Also, this is my reply to "it's too easy to get a gun"...

You're completely right, but closing down gun stores or making them illegal wouldn't do a damn thing. People talk about how there are already ~300M LEGAL guns in the U.S...but what about guns like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1wV3lmbSv4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=Av0pEqR5KWs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KiH_o6XpMvI&feature=related

This gun was made in 15minutes and $7. What are they gonna do...ban bullets too? How many shotgun shells do you guys think are in circulation? At least a billion? So there are one billion+ potential guns...setting aside being able to make your own bullets as well. If you ban them, then the cartels and gangs will just start making their own guns and use the guns already in the street... empowering organized crime once again.

Jake8x7

Last edited:

Jake8x7

Activist Member
Yeah, I can't wait 'till we all have an above average income. (sarcasm dripping)

I'm not ignorant enough to think it's realistically possible, especially with the government having any involvement in it, but it's true that poverty is the primary factor. Notice how culture is a function of its surroundings...black culture formed around being poor as hell and uneducated (regardless of whose fault this is why it is). I'm not advocating that we go around and give these people homes, but I'm sick and tired of the race baiting and finger pointing- by both sides.

Jake8x7

Last edited:

Gil223

NEGRO population?? We still have some "Negroes" running around loose? I thought they had all been replaced by "blacks" and "African-Americans". We should catch those "Negroes" and turn them in to the NAACP for re-designation! :rolleyes: Pax... :lol:

Last edited:

Ruby

Why do you find it necessary to bring up race? OC for Me didn't mention any race. Thugs come in all races, colors, religions, and ethnicities. A criminal is a criminal is a criminal.