I just finished watching this explanation of SYG, presented by Massad Ayoob. Yeah, I know... some of you think he's a hack, and others believe he is the be all and end all when it comes to firearms (particularly handguns) and their effective application (there may even be a couple of you who actually believe you know more about the subject than he does). The truth of the matter is probably somewhere in between those two diametrically opposed points of view (but most likely closer to the "Gun God" end of the scale). Anyway, here's a video, from a man with almost 40 years of experience - both as a shooter and a nationally recognized "expert witness" - that I thought was worth sharing with anybody who might be interested. He provides an explanation, in under 14 minutes, which is probably better than most (even fairly knowledgeable) folks can give you:

I found it interesting that in the vid Ayoob mentions Dennis Tueller, another well-known and respected name in firearms application, and developer of the "Tueller Drill" (aka: "21 Foot Rule"). I attended a seminar conducted in Salt Lake City by Tueller and Ayoob about 25 years ago, and found them both to be interesting, knowledgeable and approachable. However, Tueller explains that the "21 Foot Rule" is not cut-and-dried due to numerous variables (your ability and speed at presenting your weapon, multiple assailants, etc.). For anybody who cares, there's a video of Tueller being interviewed regarding the 21 Foot Rule @ http://www.21footrule.com/2011/06/de...ler-drill.html

Pax...