• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Can you CC in a CFZ with owners permission?

Hevymetal

Interesting story, today I was OC in a bar/restaurant with my wife and mother to have dinner (NO drinks). I have been going to there for 20+ years. I have known the owner for over a decade (he attended my wedding last year). I have OC there quite a few times with no issues (apparently no one noticed before) when today the owners girlfriend came over when she noticed my firearm. She said "You can't have a gun in a bar. You should cover that before someone calls the cops on you." when I explained to her it was perfectly legal to OC with a CPL as long as I'm not consuming alcohol she was stunned. I showed her MSP 86 and her response was "Of all the people in here you are the least of my concerns about carrying a gun, I actually feel safer knowing you have one. But we sure the hell don't want everyone carrying one." She asked if I could cover it for the sake of not making a precedent to the other customers (mostly locals with too much alcohol and not enough common sense). When I explained the legality of that would depend on the % of gross sale of alcohol VS food. She said she believed food sales outweighed the alcohol sales but wasn't 100% sure but she would make it a point to check the books and find out for me. She asked if the owner consented to me CC while in there would that be OK with the law even if the alcohol sales were more? My response was I'll check on that one and get back to her on that.

My question to those more knowledge then I is: If I have express consent from the bar owner to CC in his business (does it need to be written if so?) is it legal for me CC so regardless of the food/alcohol ratio? Or is consent from the owner irrelevant since I am not technically an employee? (Could I qualify as a security guard 3 times a month while taking the family out to dinner or would I have to be on payroll?) The owner is pro-gun and has no issues with me or others carrying but has a fear that some of his patrons would lack the self-control and restraint to OC responsibly so he really doesn't want them to know it's allowed by everyone. (He doesn't want to verify if they are CPL holders)

If the food ratio outweighs the alcohol sales and OC and CC is legal he asked about the legality of a sign stating "ALL Firearms MUST be Concealed" and further inquired if food/alcohol ratio is not good then what if he gave EVERYONE permission to CC while in his business?

Thanks for any info you can provide since this one kind stumped me, I figured with private property rights he could dictate NO OC and require CC :( but I wasn't sure if Private property right could allow him to override any CFZ restrictions imposed on a CPL holders ability to CC in a CFZ.

Hevy

xmanhockey7

Simple answer, no. If you were security or an employee (bar/tavern only) and have a CPL you may carry concealed but if not you must carry openly. Also it's not a matter of food to alcohol ratio it's a matter of what their primary source of income is. If it's primarily from alcohol (even if less than 50%) it is a concealed PFZ. Unless you're the owner or an employee you cannot carry concealed in a bar or tavern described below.

28.425o Premises on which carrying concealed weapon prohibited; “premises” defined; exceptions to subsection (1); violation; penalties.
Sec. 5o. (1) Subject to subsection (4), an individual licensed under this act to carry a concealed pistol, or who is exempt from licensure under section 12a(1)(f), shall not carry a concealed pistol on the premises of any of the following:
(d) A bar or tavern licensed under the Michigan liquor control code of 1998, 1998 PA 58, MCL 436.1101 to 436.2303, where the primary source of income of the business is the sale of alcoholic liquor by the glass and consumed on the premises. This subdivision does not apply to an owner or employee of the business. The Michigan liquor control commission shall develop and make available to holders of licenses under the Michigan liquor control code of 1998, 1998 PA 58, MCL 436.1101 to 436.2303, an appropriate sign stating that "This establishment prohibits patrons from carrying concealed weapons". The owner or operator of an establishment licensed under the Michigan liquor control code of 1998, 1998 PA 58, MCL 436.1101 to 436.2303, may, but is not required to, post the sign developed under this subdivision. A record made available by an establishment licensed under the Michigan liquor control code of 1998, 1998 PA 58, MCL 436.1101 to 436.2303, necessary to enforce this subdivision is exempt from disclosure under the freedom of information act, 1976 PA 442, MCL 15.231 to 15.246.

(4) Subsection (1) does not apply to any of the following:
(b) An individual who is licensed under this act and who is employed or contracted by an entity described under subsection (1) to provide security services and is required by his or her employer or the terms of a contract to carry a concealed firearm on the premises of the employing or contracting entity.

stainless1911

Banned
Ok, you have touched on a couple issues.

You cannot CC unless you are the owner. 28.425o

(1) Subject to subsection (4), an individual licensed under this act to carry a concealed pistol, or who is exempt from licensure under section 12a(1)(f), shall not carry a concealed pistol on the premises of any of the following:

(d) A bar or tavern licensed under the Michigan liquor control code of 1998, 1998 PA 58, MCL 436.1101 to 436.2303, where the primary source of income of the business is the sale of alcoholic liquor by the glass and consumed on the premises. This subdivision does not apply to an owner or employee of the business.

You can OC because of the exemption in 750.234d

Sec. 234d.
(1) Except as provided in subsection (2), a person shall not possess a firearm on the premises of any of the following:

(h) An establishment licensed under the Michigan liquor control act, Act No. 8 of the Public Acts of the Extra Session of 1933, being sections 436.1 to 436.58 of the Michigan Compiled Laws.

(2) This section does not apply to any of the following:

(a) A person who owns, or is employed by or contracted by, an entity described in subsection (1) if the possession of that firearm is to provide security services for that entity.

(c) A person licensed by this state or another state to carry a concealed weapon.

You cannot CC because of 28.425o

(d) A bar or tavern licensed under the Michigan liquor control code of 1998, 1998 PA 58, MCL 436.1101 to 436.2303, where the primary source of income of the business is the sale of alcoholic liquor by the glass and consumed on the premises.

You could CC IF you were on the payroll, and I believe, in the course of your duties. again 425o

(d) This subdivision does not apply to an owner or employee of the business.

2 (b) An individual who is licensed under this act and who is employed or contracted by an entity described under subsection (1) to provide security services and is required by his or her employer or the terms of a contract to carry a concealed firearm on the premises of the employing or contracting entity.

If the ratio of alcohol sales is not greater than all other sales, then you could CC if you wish with a CPL. The owner or representative could then grant permission to CPL holders to CC, could allow OC with CPL, or could disallow carry if he/she wished.

Sec. 234d.

(2) This section does not apply to any of the following:

(c) A person licensed by this state or another state to carry a concealed weapon.

(d) A person who possesses a firearm on the premises of an entity described in subsection (1) if that possession is with the permission of the owner or an agent of the owner of that entity.

I can't recall the cites, but OC your BAC can be .08, and CC your BAC can be .02 Max

stainless1911

Banned
750.237 Liquor or controlled substance; possession or use of firearm by person under influence; violation; penalty; chemical analysis.

Sec. 237.

(b) The individual has an alcohol content of 0.08 or more grams per 100 milliliters of blood, per 210 liters of breath, or per 67 milliliters of urine.

28.425k Acceptance of license as implied consent to submit to chemical analysis of breath, blood, or urine.

(b) If the person had a bodily alcohol content of .08 or more but less than .10 grams per 100 milliliters of blood, per 210 liters of breath, or per 67 milliliters of urine, the individual is guilty of a misdemeanor punishable by imprisonment for not more than 93 days or $100.00, or both. The court may order the concealed weapon licensing board that issued the individual a license to carry a concealed pistol to revoke the license for not more than 3 years. The concealed weapon licensing board shall revoke the license as ordered by the court.
(c) If the person had a bodily alcohol content of .02 or more but less than .08 grams per 100 milliliters of blood, per 210 liters of breath, or per 67 milliliters of urine, the individual is responsible for a state civil infraction and may be fined not more than $100.00. The court may order the concealed weapon licensing board that issued the individual the license to revoke the license for 1 year. The concealed weapon licensing board shall revoke the license as ordered by the court. The court shall notify the concealed weapon licensing board that issued the individual a license to carry a concealed pistol if an individual is found responsible for a subsequent violation of this subdivision.

Last edited:

Bronson

750.237 Liquor or controlled substance; possession or use of firearm by person under influence; violation; penalty; chemical analysis.

Sec. 237.

(b) The individual has an alcohol content of 0.08 or more grams per 100 milliliters of blood, per 210 liters of breath, or per 67 milliliters of urine.

28.425k Acceptance of license as implied consent to submit to chemical analysis of breath, blood, or urine.

(b) If the person had a bodily alcohol content of .08 or more but less than .10 grams per 100 milliliters of blood, per 210 liters of breath, or per 67 milliliters of urine, the individual is guilty of a misdemeanor punishable by imprisonment for not more than 93 days or $100.00, or both. The court may order the concealed weapon licensing board that issued the individual a license to carry a concealed pistol to revoke the license for not more than 3 years. The concealed weapon licensing board shall revoke the license as ordered by the court.
(c) If the person had a bodily alcohol content of .02 or more but less than .08 grams per 100 milliliters of blood, per 210 liters of breath, or per 67 milliliters of urine, the individual is responsible for a state civil infraction and may be fined not more than $100.00. The court may order the concealed weapon licensing board that issued the individual the license to revoke the license for 1 year. The concealed weapon licensing board shall revoke the license as ordered by the court. The court shall notify the concealed weapon licensing board that issued the individual a license to carry a concealed pistol if an individual is found responsible for a subsequent violation of this subdivision.

While the BAC for open carry is .08 you left out an important part...

(1) An individual shall not carry, have in possession or under control, or use in any manner or discharge a firearm under any of the following
circumstances:

(a) The individual is under the influence of alcoholic liquor, a controlled substance, or a combination of alcoholic liquor and a controlled substance.

(c) Because of the consumption of alcoholic liquor, a controlled substance, or a combination of alcoholic liquor and a controlled substance, the
individual's ability to use a firearm is visibly impaired.

Just what is considered to be "under the influence"? Since the BAC of .08 and being visibly impaired are already called out in sections (b) & (c) respectively then "under the influence" must be something else.

Back to the OP:

No. The only times a CPL holder may CC in a CC-PFZ with permission is if you are the employee of a bar/tavern or you have permission to carry on church property. Those are the only exceptions allowed in the law for people that don't own the business.

Bronson

Last edited:

Bronson

(d)A bar or tavern licensed under the Michigan liquor control code of 1998, 1998 PA 58, MCL 436.1101 to 436.2303, where the primary source of income of the business is the sale of alcoholic liquor by the glass and consumed on the premises. This subdivision does not apply to an owner or employee of the business.

pri·ma·ry

1. first or highest in rank or importance; chief; principal: his primary goals in life.

2. first in order in any series, sequence, etc

ma·jor·i·ty

  1. the greater part or number; the number larger than half the total ( opposed to minority): the majority of the population.

The law states "primary" so it's looking at the largest number in a sequence not whether alcohol sales are greater than half of the total income, which would be a majority. So, alcohol 45%, food 40%, cover charge 5%, t-shirts/souvenirs 10% = no CC.

Bronson

Last edited:

TheQ

Just what is considered to be "under the influence"? Since the BAC of .08 and being visibly impaired are already called out in sections (b) & (c) respectively then "under the influence" must be something else.

You are right. .08 makes it "automatic", but you could be .01 and found to be "under the influence" -- with the right jury.

Officer: He appeared a bit wobbly as he walked.

Hevymetal

This is not as silly as it sounds. I think it could be arguably allowed.

I haven't had a chance to stop back by and check with her yet on the actual totals for sales food/alcohol to see what the outcome will be.

HOWEVER:

Would a contractor serve as an employee as opposed to an payroll employee? Thereby bypassing all sorts of paperwork and IRS/Workers comp issues.

Say a simple scope of service contract agreement,

I (insert your name here) agree to provide security services at my own risk while on premises located at (insert address here) at a rate of $.01 (1 cent) annually. While on premises located at (insert address here) I (insert owners name here) do hereby authorize (insert your name here) to carry and conceal any and all firearms while on premises.

Yes I realize it needs to be lawyered up, but you get the idea.

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
I haven't had a chance to stop back by and check with her yet on the actual totals for sales food/alcohol to see what the outcome will be.

HOWEVER:

Would a contractor serve as an employee as opposed to an payroll employee? Thereby bypassing all sorts of paperwork and IRS/Workers comp issues.

Say a simple scope of service contract agreement,

I (insert your name here) agree to provide security services at my own risk while on premises located at (insert address here) at a rate of $.01 (1 cent) annually. While on premises located at (insert address here) I (insert owners name here) do hereby authorize (insert your name here) to carry and conceal any and all firearms while on premises.

Yes I realize it needs to be lawyered up, but you get the idea.

I'd run it by an attorney... but I think it MIGHT just work.

From the IRS: Under common-law rules, anyone who performs services for you is your employee if you can control what will be done and how it will be done. This is so even when you give the employee freedom of action. What matters is that you have the right to control the details of how the services are performed.
www.irs.gov/businesses/small/article/0,,id=179112,00.htm

Last edited:

Hevymetal

I'd run it by an attorney... but I think it MIGHT just work.

From the IRS: Under common-law rules, anyone who performs services for you is your employee if you can control what will be done and how it will be done. This is so even when you give the employee freedom of action. What matters is that you have the right to control the details of how the services are performed.
www.irs.gov/businesses/small/article/0,,id=179112,00.htm

Ok I did a slight revision of my original idea and made it a little more legalized with the little legal knowledge I have

CONTRACT FOR SECURITY SERVICES
No:......../

Today, May 2nd, 2012 we are :
PARTY A: --------------------------------------------------------------------: Representative : ------------------------------------------
Position : ------------------------------------------
Address : ------------------------------------------
Tel: : ------------------------------------------
Fax : ------------------------------------------
Tax code : ------------------------------------------
PARTY B: --------------------------------------------------------------------:
Representative : ------------------------------------------
Position : ------------------------------------------
Address : ------------------------------------------
Tel: : ------------------------------------------
Fax : ------------------------------------------
Tax code : ------------------------------------------

After deliberating the Parties are unanimous as follows:
ARTICLE 1. PURPOSE AND TERM OF CONTRACT
1.1 Party A agrees to hire Party B and Party B agrees to provide Party A the security services set forth in this Contract limited to Party A's property at: -------------------------------
Add: ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Herein after called "the Site")
1.2 The duration of the Contract shall be 12 months from today ________________ to ________________.
ARTICLE 2: REQUESTING ABOUT QUALITY OF SERVICE
2.1 To help guarantee safety for Party A:
Add: -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2.2 Party A requests that Party B be trained to
The following specifications:
Concerning of Laws.
Concealed Pistol License
Self Defense Training
First Aid. (Optional)

2.3 The scope of security service and duties of each security position mentioned above shall be:
Maintain personal security for the site and Party A.

ARTICLE 3 : SERVICE FEE
3.1 Service fee:
Party A has responsibility to pay Party B yearly service fee: $.01 ( one cent USD only !) per year.

3.2 Payment :
• Party A shall make payment to Party B one time per year.

ARTICLE 4. SCOPE OF AUTHORITY OF SECURITY
Party B shall provide security for Party B and Party A
4.1 Authority to temporally detain/defend in the site those whom Party B witnesses an offenses of dishonesty, disorderly behavior, assault, or other criminal activity on the Site occupied by Party A, and to notify immediately to the police or other relevant authorities of such activity.

ARTICLE 5. RESPONSIBILITY OF PARTY B
Party B will maintain the following responsibilities in addition to those set forth in Articles 2 and 3.
5.1 Party B shall treat all personnel to the Site with courtesy, and any security action taken will involve only those levels of force reasonably required under the circumstances. Party B shall use its best efforts to maintain good relationships with the local community surrounding the Site. In all circumstances, professionalism shall be expected of Party B.
5.2 Party B shall be responsible for all income and personal income tax under the laws and regulations of Michigan.'
5.3 Party B supplies any necessary equipments in order to protect Party A’s properties. The supplying of equipments including but not limited to fireamrs is free.
ARTICLE 7. RESPONSIBILITY OF PARTY A
Party A acknowledges that this agreement is a Contract for the performance of only the services stated in the Contract, and is not an insurance contract or guarantee against any losses.
7.1 Party B requires of Party A that all persons authorized to be on the Site shall be allowed to bring and optionally conceal any firearms and equipment necessary for performance of said duties.
ARTICLE 8. LIMITATION OF PARTY B'S RESPONSIBILITY
Party A acknowledges that this agreement is a Contract for the performance of only the services started in the Contract, and is not an insurance contract or guarantee against any losses.
Party B is not responsible for damages or injury which is caused by following factors:
8.1 All types of natural disasters or accidents include lightning, flood, fire, typhoon or other harmful weather, electric shock, electrocution or any accidents which beyond control of the security of Party B.
8.2 Destruction, theft, attempted theft, or damages caused by the action of Party A (representative, invitees in the Site with the authorization of Party A) which beyond control of the security guards of Party B.
8.3 Damages,losses, or injuries caused by the fraud, intentionally harmful acts, gross negligence, or other willful or reckless conducts of Party A or its employees, agents, or invitees which are beyond the control or reasonable intervention of the guards of Party B;
8.4 Political or labor disturbances, including acts of war, riots or strikes which impact upon the Site of Party A's workers on the Site; however Party B shall use their best efforts to support Party A.
8.5 Events which occur outside of the Site
8.6 Industrial accidents or chemical reactions which can only control by personnel who have specialized training and equipment
8.7 Damage occasioned directly or indirectly by or through or inconsequence of acts of terrorism, committed by a person or persons acting on behalf of or in connection with any organization.
ARTICLE 9. CONTRACT TERMINATION:
This contract can be terminate under the following conditions:
9.1 Both parties come to an agreement to terminate this contract in writing without penalty to either party.
9.2 The time of contract expied.
ARTICLE 10. GOVERNING LAW
-The Contract shall be governed and interpreted under the laws of the Michigan-In the case that dispute of contract happens, the contract in US will be used for basis of the solution.
-This contract shall be made in two (02) originals One (01) copy of contract shall be held by each Party.
Representative of Party A Representative of Party B

Well word kinda mangled the formatting while copying/pasting but you get the idea.

I would appreciate any constructive criticism on it. I know we have a few armchair if not actual lawyers here :)

If this idea passes the legal standard (or actual lawyers on here agree?) would it not be a good "workaround" to conceal for any CFZ whose owner is amicable to it? Knowing several bars (used to be on an APA pool league) that would never allow OC in their bar (legal or not) but would have no problems letting certain customers conceal carry.

I realize CC is not the best option (nor a popular one on a OC forum hehe) but in a situation where you are trying to respect a property owners wishes in some place you have or want to be and also maintain the ability to be LEGALLY armed any form of carry is better then a sharp stick.

Hevymetal

If I were a bar owner I would never put my signature on something like that.

Bronson

Yeah the first version was a whole lot simpler but i don't believe it would meet the legal criteria for a contract viable enough to use as a legal defense in case they attempted to charge anyone with a violation of the CFZ

There has to be a simple way of doing it utilizing the correct legalese to meet all of the requirements for a valid "Temp" employment/contractor status therefore exempting you from the restriction. I just don't quite know it.

What I am aiming for is
1. Simple (yeah right)
2. A valid legal exemption under the letter of the law which would allow CC carry in a CFZ so one would have a good legal defense

specifically subsection (d)
28.425o Premises on which carrying concealed weapon prohibited; “premises” defined; exceptions to subsection (1); violation; penalties.
Sec. 5o. (1) Subject to subsection (4), an individual licensed under this act to carry a concealed pistol, or who is exempt from licensure under section 12a(1)(f), shall not carry a concealed pistol on the premises of any of the following:
(d) A bar or tavern licensed under the Michigan liquor control code of 1998, 1998 PA 58, MCL 436.1101 to 436.2303, where the primary source of income of the business is the sale of alcoholic liquor by the glass and consumed on the premises. This subdivision does not apply to an owner or employee of the business.

although if the language was correct i suppose it could work for other places that are CFZ (schools who don't want parents to OC for example, not that it would ever happen, just an example)

3. No implied liability to either party

I agree is should be as simple as the owner signing a note saying "Mr. John Dillinger is a citizen of good standing and I allow him to carry a firearm in any manner he chooses while in my establishment." but sadly it's not :(

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
If I were a bar owner I would never put my signature on something like that.

Bronson

These are people that he calls friends, as long as it is clear the bar owner is not liable for heavy's actions, I do not see them having anything to fear. I know legal jibberish is confusing, but look at it this way, how many people ever read the fine print on the back of a amusement park ticket? It basically waives them from any liabilty. Yet they let their kids go screaming off a catapault driven roller coaster at 100 mph without ever batting an eye..... just saying ...

Sent from my Polaroid PMID701i using Tapatalk 2