• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New Here-got some questions.

bearclaw1293

Hey guys, as you can see I'm a new member here. I've basically got some questions about open carry/transporting firearms.

I am 18 years old and a freshman in college. For my high school graduation "I" got a handgun as a gift. Basically my first question is, what is the legal age to open carry in Kansas? I've read alot about it on this site but must have missed the age requirement. I know in some states it is 21 to concealed carry (with permit) and only 18 to open carry. Is this true for KS as well? If so, then it must be legal to carry a firearm that is not technically owned by me, since it was bought by my father, correct?

I grew up/live in Osage county and frequently go to Topeka. In some places I am at I would feel much safer having a sidearm with me. I also am interested in exercising my rights as I'm sure everybody here is.

My secondary question(s) deal with transporting firearms. In my particular case, 18 years old, Kansas citizen, no CCW obviously, how am I legally allowed to carry a handgun and/or rifle/shotgun in my vehicle? Do I have to have it in plain view or must it be in a sealed container and hidden? Must it be unloaded or can it be loaded with 1 in the chamber? If unloaded, am I allowed to have it right next to a loaded magazine, or must both the firearm and magazine be unloaded? Or even if unloaded, can I have a loaded magazine in it but not 1 in the chamber?

These are just a few of the questions I can come up with as of now, I'm sure I will have more as time progresses. Thanks for any answers, advice, tips, etc!

Echo4PapaBravo

As far as I know, you are able to OC in Kansas at 18, the only age restrictions on adults are on purchase of a firearm and obtaining CCW. Without CCW you can't have the firearm on your person in vehicle if you are the driver, or within reach of the driver (though you can have it in a gun rack which leaves it in reach of the driver, so go figure), but can conceal it in the glove box or leave it in the open. You are a student so the biggest thing for you is that you cannot have a weapon on any school property within the state of Kansas without a CCW, and even then you must remain in the parking lot within a vehicle and be a parent or guardian of a student that attends said school...or a 21 year old student with a CCW. Also you can't carry anywhere it is lawfully posted or on government grounds, which there are a lot of in Topeka (Governor's mansion and office, DMV, etc.).

I'm sure someone will correct anything I misstated, but no one had responded so far.

Last edited:

Buckwheat

Hey guys, as you can see I'm a new member here. I've basically got some questions about open carry/transporting firearms.

I am 18 years old and a freshman in college. For my high school graduation "I" got a handgun as a gift. Basically my first question is, what is the legal age to open carry in Kansas? I've read alot about it on this site but must have missed the age requirement. I know in some states it is 21 to concealed carry (with permit) and only 18 to open carry. Is this true for KS as well? If so, then it must be legal to carry a firearm that is not technically owned by me, since it was bought by my father, correct?

I grew up/live in Osage county and frequently go to Topeka. In some places I am at I would feel much safer having a sidearm with me. I also am interested in exercising my rights as I'm sure everybody here is.

My secondary question(s) deal with transporting firearms. In my particular case, 18 years old, Kansas citizen, no CCW obviously, how am I legally allowed to carry a handgun and/or rifle/shotgun in my vehicle? Do I have to have it in plain view or must it be in a sealed container and hidden? Must it be unloaded or can it be loaded with 1 in the chamber? If unloaded, am I allowed to have it right next to a loaded magazine, or must both the firearm and magazine be unloaded? Or even if unloaded, can I have a loaded magazine in it but not 1 in the chamber?

These are just a few of the questions I can come up with as of now, I'm sure I will have more as time progresses. Thanks for any answers, advice, tips, etc!

Go to the kansas laws on line and you will see that without a ccw you must transport your firearm in a enclosed container and unloaded,,,,that means a gun case or gun rug.