Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Question

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Centre, Alabama
    Posts
    23

    Question

    I moved back to Alabama after living in KY for several years. Been a member of this site for a while. Because of this site I OC'd in KY while I lived there, and had no issues. Now I have a question. Many years ago when I was in the Army in Afghanistan, my wife at the time wrote several bad checks on OUR account. Ofcourse, I am the one paying for it. It is on my record as writing bad checks. It did not stop me from purchasing a handgun in KY (which I assume if I had a record that would prevent it, it would be US wide). Now, I am wondering if this would stop me from being able to get a CCW in Alabama? I read the earlier post about the gentleman that shoplifted the magazine and it prevented him from getting one. I don't think bad checks are considered a type of crime that would stop me, but I didn't think shoplifting would be either. Thanks in advance for the info!!

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    America
    Posts
    2,234
    Quote Originally Posted by Eagle-Six View Post
    I moved back to Alabama after living in KY for several years. Been a member of this site for a while. Because of this site I OC'd in KY while I lived there, and had no issues. Now I have a question. Many years ago when I was in the Army in Afghanistan, my wife at the time wrote several bad checks on OUR account. Ofcourse, I am the one paying for it. It is on my record as writing bad checks. It did not stop me from purchasing a handgun in KY (which I assume if I had a record that would prevent it, it would be US wide). Now, I am wondering if this would stop me from being able to get a CCW in Alabama? I read the earlier post about the gentleman that shoplifted the magazine and it prevented him from getting one. I don't think bad checks are considered a type of crime that would stop me, but I didn't think shoplifting would be either. Thanks in advance for the info!!
    If you didn't go to court or Jail then the sheriff won't know.
    Don't believe any facts that I say! This is the internet and it is filled with lies and untruth. I invite you to look up for yourself the basic facts that my arguments might be based upon. This way we can have a discussion where logic and hints on where to find information are what is brought to the forum and people look up and verify facts for themselves.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Centre, Alabama
    Posts
    23
    I did get charged, went to jail and court when I got back from Afghanistan.

  4. #4
    Campaign Veteran skidmark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Richmond VA, ,
    Posts
    8,350
    Quote Originally Posted by Eagle-Six View Post
    I did get charged, went to jail and court when I got back from Afghanistan.
    What's important is the outcome (verdict) of the court proceeding.

    I'll just not say anything about why I'm skeptical about you being charged, jailed and tried for something your wife did while you were out of the country. As for "Ofcourse, I am the one paying for it. It is on my record as writing bad checks" - are you meaning your credit report? That can be fixed with a letter to the three reporting agencies.

    stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

    Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

    "No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Centre, Alabama
    Posts
    23
    I was charged with a misdemeanor and required to pay restitution. She was as well.

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    America
    Posts
    2,234
    Quote Originally Posted by Eagle-Six View Post
    I did get charged, went to jail and court when I got back from Afghanistan.
    You'll need to see a lawyer and your sheriff about it then. I don't think that makes you a disqualified person under federal or AL law, but as we have semi-may issue its kinda up to the sheriff unless you get a lawyer and are willing to go to court about it.
    Don't believe any facts that I say! This is the internet and it is filled with lies and untruth. I invite you to look up for yourself the basic facts that my arguments might be based upon. This way we can have a discussion where logic and hints on where to find information are what is brought to the forum and people look up and verify facts for themselves.

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Urban Skeet City, Alabama
    Posts
    874
    What I would do, in your shoes, would be to apply for the license and wait to see if there is a denial. And then address that denial.

    Charges in another state don't always carry over and don't always show up immediately. If the sheriff isn't aware of them, there is no reason to bring them up.

    Some sheriffs set arbitrary limits because this state is "may issue"; there is no requirement under law to issue a license to a person fit or unfit to be licensed, nor no penalty for failure to issue a license to a perfectly qualified individual.

    Alabama has pistol licenses, they are "CPLs". CCW is a crime: carrying concealed weapons (13A-11-50). We don't have concealed weapons permits; the section of law that defines the only form of license to carry a concealed weapon is 13A-11-73: pistol license.
    Last edited by Kirbinator; 05-02-2012 at 02:17 AM.
    It takes a village to raise an idiot.

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    America
    Posts
    2,234
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirbinator View Post
    ...
    Some sheriffs set arbitrary limits because this state is "may issue"; there is no requirement under law to issue a license to a person fit or unfit to be licensed, nor no penalty for failure to issue a license to a perfectly qualified individual....
    Other than common law, though I would need help remembering the name of the court case.
    Don't believe any facts that I say! This is the internet and it is filled with lies and untruth. I invite you to look up for yourself the basic facts that my arguments might be based upon. This way we can have a discussion where logic and hints on where to find information are what is brought to the forum and people look up and verify facts for themselves.

  9. #9
    Regular Member Treborfoot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Pelham, Alabama
    Posts
    33
    A misdemeanor is a misdemeanor...A Sheriff in Alabama can deny you a permit for any reason or no reason.
    There is no legal definition for Suitable person. Do as Kirby said...Try...Sheriffs are allowed to violate the Alabama Constitution at this time ...Hopefully this will soon change.

    Treborfoot here and on Alabama Open Carry

    Robert W. Kennedy Jr on Facebook

    The Goat Tender @ my Goat Hill on Twitter https://twitter.com/#!/MyGoatHill
    The Twitter site is new and I am still figuring Twitter out

    Check out Alabama Declaration of Rights on Facebook...Also new.

    More coming soon...

  10. #10
    Regular Member Treborfoot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Pelham, Alabama
    Posts
    33
    SB337 died yesterday....Actually it died last week we just didn't know it.(line stolen from PD)

    They lied to us for votes...The NRA wasn't behind this bill...The blame for the Alabama version of The Uniform Fires Arms Act.. Acts 1936, Ex. Sess., No. 82, p. 51, is the NRA.

    This is the second year this bill died...I will not wait on next year...I plan on going to Plan B with or without help...

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    America
    Posts
    2,234
    Quote Originally Posted by Treborfoot View Post
    SB337 died yesterday....Actually it died last week we just didn't know it.(line stolen from PD)

    They lied to us for votes...The NRA wasn't behind this bill...The blame for the Alabama version of The Uniform Fires Arms Act.. Acts 1936, Ex. Sess., No. 82, p. 51, is the NRA.

    This is the second year this bill died...I will not wait on next year...I plan on going to Plan B with or without help...
    Are you a member? Have you tried to contact or spoken with the local ILA people? Have you contacted the national ILA?
    Don't believe any facts that I say! This is the internet and it is filled with lies and untruth. I invite you to look up for yourself the basic facts that my arguments might be based upon. This way we can have a discussion where logic and hints on where to find information are what is brought to the forum and people look up and verify facts for themselves.

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Mobile, AL
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by Treborfoot View Post
    SB337 died yesterday....Actually it died last week we just didn't know it.(line stolen from PD)

    They lied to us for votes...The NRA wasn't behind this bill...The blame for the Alabama version of The Uniform Fires Arms Act.. Acts 1936, Ex. Sess., No. 82, p. 51, is the NRA.

    This is the second year this bill died...I will not wait on next year...I plan on going to Plan B with or without help...
    What is plan B?

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Urban Skeet City, Alabama
    Posts
    874
    Well, it's something you talk to your gynecologist about. If you don't, then you'll be talking to an OB-GYN soon.
    It takes a village to raise an idiot.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •