• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Home depot issues - AGAIN

TechnoWeenie

So, I've had issues at Home Depot, but got that straightened out like 3 years ago...

Today, I walk in to get some pipe insulation for my AR pistol lower.... I brought my stripped lower with me, to make sure I got the right size....

So I pick it up, head to checkout, and hand over my cash... She's polite, if not cheery..... hands me my change and recpt..

Then she notices the lower I had set down (to grab my wallet).......

She asks 'oh, what's that?'..

I promptly reply... 'A lower'

She , inquisitively inquires, 'a lower what'?

So I respond, ' A lower receiver for an AR15'..

She gets this disapproving look on her face and says something along the lines of 'you'd be wise not to bring that in here again'

So I asked her why....

She says 'because'

I tell her 'It's not illegal, and it's corporate policy to follow state law'..

She says 'It doesn't matter, do you want me to get my manager?' with an obvious 'how dare you challenge me, I'll get someone to set you straight' intonation...

I say 'as a matter of fact, absolutely, I'd rather this get cleared up so you understand'....

Then full panic mode sets in... She dials the number.. and when she doesn't get an answer in 10 seconds she seems visibly upset... another worker comes up and asks what wrong, a military guy comes up and says 'I don't think it's an open carry state', I inform him that it is, the OTHER home depot says it is, and asks what's going on.. The lady apparently hadn't even SEEN my holstered handgun, and went into panic mode #2 when she saw it......after mil guy mentions it. I tell him I don't know, I just wanted to clear up any confusion... HE says there's nothing wrong, nothing illegal, and not to worry about... I try to talk to the old lady that started the whole thing, and it looks like she's about to cry.. So I tell her I have all the laws in a nice little brochure, and ask her if she'd feel better if she knew it was legal (very politely), and she says 'no, I'm the one that's upset', so I try to console her a bit.. tell her it's legal, that there's nothing wrong with it, etc etc.. and the other home depot guy says not to worry about it.... Meanwhile, she's shaking, saying 'what's the number for the police'.... and starts walking away.... Home Depot associate #2 tells her that it's OK.. then tells ME it's ok, and that I don't need to stay....

I go out to my car, grab a bundle of brochures, and head back in....

The manager had made his way to the front, surrounded by about 5 employees... I walk up, shake his hand and introduce myself... I explain what happened, and he said he knew it was the law, and corporate policy, and he even said, kind of laughingly, 'Yeah, when she described you, I said 'we know this guy, he comes in here all the time, he comes in and gets his stuff and leaves, there's never a problem''... I kinda joked around and said 'Well, I've had words with tom (the General Manager)before', and laughed, another associate piped up and said 'Well, it's policy, Tom doesn't have anything to say in the matter'... A few of us chuckled... Lucky apologized, said it wasn't an issue, not to worry about it. I gave him a bundle of pamphlets, and suggested that he let his associates know, to which the 6 or so associates around all said 'we know' in one way or another... Lucky reiterated that indeed all the associates were aware of the law, and that it was HER that had the problem, not 'home depot'.... I still left him with a couple of pamphlets.. We shook hands, and I left.....

As I'm leaving, I hear a call go out for a public service detail, a woman matching the description of the lady that had the 'issue' would apparently be 'waiting outside for your (police) arrival' . So Apparently she called the police... I didn't care enough to follow up... I tried to calm her down, tried to educate her, tried to talk to her, if she wants to flip out, that's on her...

ManInBlack

Great story.

Some people just can't be reasoned with...and those people deserve to live in the fear-prisons they build for themselves.

sawah

You should have said 'Oh, did you see the guy in plumbing who was carrying a shotgun under his trench-coat? Maybe you should go over there and confront him? I'll wait here to protect you'. Distract and confuse, when in doubt, I always say.

Levi

Maybe you should have called 911 to report an emotionally unstable person that may be a threat to public safety.

Metalhead47

Wow. Just wow.

Ditto that. Y'know, we throw the word "hopolophobe" around alot on this forum, but to actually encounter someone like that who's genuinely afraid of your gun, not merely angered/insulted by it... and a non-functional, incomplete, only-a-gun-in-the-eyes-of-the-ATF part to boot... Wow. Just wow. I won't throw any insults at the poor lady. Like MIB said, the fear-prison she chooses to live in is beyond any interwebz forum flame. Kinda sad really.

Techno: SO.... what did you need the insulation for in the first place?

fire suppressor

Good story I was amazed and delighted the manager backed you after making a employee cry. As sad as that female was she is a sheep. Nothing against her sheep just are not capable of being reasoned with they live their entire life's in a fantasy world because they have no other way to survive. If you herd the call go out I am assuming you have a scanner. I keep one in my car but don't always carry it on me

TechnoWeenie

Good story I was amazed and delighted the manager backed you after making a employee cry. As sad as that female was she is a sheep. Nothing against her sheep just are not capable of being reasoned with they live their entire life's in a fantasy world because they have no other way to survive. If you herd the call go out I am assuming you have a scanner. I keep one in my car but don't always carry it on me

Not from a scanner.... :cool:

int2.jpg

int3.jpg

int1.jpg

PistolPackingMomma

You should have said 'Oh, did you see the guy in plumbing who was carrying a shotgun under his trench-coat? Maybe you should go over there and confront him? I'll wait here to protect you'. Distract and confuse, when in doubt, I always say.

Yeah, that'll solve her fear of guns alright. :rolleyes:

Well done OP! You handled the encounter perfectly!

Last edited:

amlevin

I believe you just survived "a battle of wits with an unarmed person".

As for the one who spouted "it's policy", it's obvious that he fits the IQ profile of most HD employees. Can't tell the difference between an Employee Policy and a Customer Service Policy.

I wonder how much more intelligent the average staff at HD would become if they just raised their starting pay by $1.00. If my local HD is any indication, all the truly qualified employees go to work at McD's and BK.

decklin

I believe you just survived "a battle of wits with an unarmed person".

As for the one who spouted "it's policy", it's obvious that he fits the IQ profile of most HD employees. Can't tell the difference between an Employee Policy and a Customer Service Policy.

I wonder how much more intelligent the average staff at HD would become if they just raised their starting pay by $1.00. If my local HD is any indication, all the truly qualified employees go to work at McD's and BK.

I think you misread the story. The service member said it was not an OC state.

The 2nd HD employee corrected him. He never said anything about policy.

I work at Home Depot.

jbone

As I'm leaving, I hear a call go out for a public service detail, a woman matching the description of the lady that had the 'issue' would apparently be 'waiting outside for your (police) arrival' . So Apparently she called the police...

That must be in the top 10 I'd for great encounters.

I wonder did she wait until you were done smiling, shaking hands and joking with the Manager before she went outside to warn the Officers of the scary MWAG. I wonder did the Manager greet the Officers with head down, embarrassed of his rouge store associate.

You must go through her line again soon!