• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

S&w /m&p-shield/40 cal.

richp

have my name in a few places for the new S&W-M&P Shield in the 40 cal. anyone who sees one in a store around pittsburgh, please give me a PM. i`ve been checking galley of guns every day, but they say they don`t know until it arrives. new to the forum, glad i found it.

09jisaac

Feel one yet? I think they feel too thin. That would make them perfect for concealment, but I don't think they feel "right".

KYGlockster

Activist Member
Are you wanting one because you are adding to your collection or because you want a gun to carry? I would go with the full size if you are looking for a carry gun. The full size m&p will produce higher velocities, meaning more energy down range. It is only a fraction of an inch thicker in the slide, and you will be able to control it better. With a comp-tac minatour IWB holster I can conceal my very large glock 20 under a t-shirt. I wouldn't sacrifice power and controllability for concealment, when with today's holster designs very large handguns can be concealed very easily. Just my opinion, thought I would throw it out there.

richp

thanks for your info/input. i`ve held a shield 9mm up at the range. the m&p shield. is only .950 wide. was also interested in the springfield xds, 45 cal., about 1 1/4 wide. also a single stack. but was told sunday springfield took the xds off the market because of other contracts. i wanted to add a compact weapon, i thought a single stack would fit the role. i`m not much for velocity, but energy. a 40 cal. at 21 ft., not sure what the energy would be in a 3" barrel or a 5" barrel, but i don`t think there is much difference in energy.

Last edited: