• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry a Knife in WV?

JeffTL

Hello to all,

This is my first post on OCDO. I have been checking out the threads and have found answers to various questions and even clarification on things I had not yet considered. Thank you all for that. I have a question pertaining to OC of a knife. I OC my SIG in and around Huntington, and a few dirty looks aside, I have not had any problems. However, I am curious to know if open carrying my infantry knife would be ok? It is definitely too large to be considered a" pocket knife" or an "ordinary Knife". Anybody know for sure if it is permissible as long as it remains commonly observable?

Dreamer

There is no "blade length" restriction of OC of fixed-blade knives in WV State law. There is no ban on carrying daggers, bowie knives, or any other specific blade type for fixed-blade knives.

http://thefiringline.com/library/blades/knifelaws.html

Technically, you should be withing the law as long as your knife is OC. Concealing a big folder or a fixed-blade knife is restricted/banned however.

Local ordinances may vary though, so check your local municipal codes...

eamelhorn

During deer season I always have my hunting knief on and never thought of it legal or not, I even wore it to school, but that was in late 70's into early 80's, but they used to let kids smoke at school to. I have wore my hunting knief into almost every store and gas station in town, never got a look till I open carried my side arm.

JeffTL

thanks

thanks for the input folks. also im not sure where that hyperlink came from in my post. i did not put that there intentionally.