• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Who needs a gun in Norfolk - Call 911..... All circuits are busy!

Bowesmobile

They just had to toss in Trayvon Martin for good measure... It sucks that it happened and yeah if calling 911 is useless what are you suppose to to? Just accept you're going to get beat down?! I dont think so!

T Dubya

Campaign Veteran
The "Drudgereport.com" headline says 100 people. How is a mob of 100 people beating a couple not making national headlines? The only way we would have even known is that it happened to newspaper employees. This happened in the United States of America and the media doesn't care. Did you read the part about the reaction by Norfolk PD? Sickening, just sickening. What happened to my country?

USNA69

They just had to toss in Trayvon Martin for good measure... It sucks that it happened and yeah if calling 911 is useless what are you suppose to to? Just accept you're going to get beat down?! I dont think so!

I read the article this morning. It occurred to me that, once the violent mob invoked Trayvon Martin's name, their purpose became political.

Random violence in futherance of a political goal is one definition of terrorism.

Where is Homeland Security? Where was the SWAT Team?

In the face of a violent terrorist mob attack resulting in serious injuries to two innocent individuals, should the LEO's response be to suggest that everybody just go home and cool off? Should the LEO's response be to shoosh away eye witnesses to the attack. Should a LEO rationalize the attack as just "business as usual" around public housing?

I pass through that intersection frequently. You can bet that I will keep my eyes much wider open from now on.

Last edited:

Skeptic

Founder's Club Member
Leaving aside any potential motivations for the attack, one thing is clear, if the story is to be believed. The PD there considers such attacks so commonplace as to not merit investigation.

The Police department there not only won't protect you, they won't even care when you are attacked. One wonders if they would investigate if there was a killing involved. I mean what are they going to do, tell their parents? (a quote of the responding policeman from the story)

Even if that is a stretch, to is absolutely no stretch to say that most likely we would never have even heard of this story if the victims had not been employees of the newspaper. That is troublesome to me. The PD basically has declared it will do nothing when people are attacked by a mob, open season on potential victims

Skeptic

Founder's Club Member
I read the article this morning. It occurred to me that, once the violent mob invoked Trayvon Martin's name, their purpose became political.

Random violence in futherance of a political goal is one definition of terrorism.

Where is Homeland Security? Where was the SWAT Team?

In the face of a violent terrorist mob attack resulting in serious injuries to two innocent individuals, should the LEO's response be to suggest that everybody just go home and cool off? Should the LEO's response be to shoosh away eye witnesses to the attack. Should a LEO rationalize the attack as just "business as usual" around public housing?

I pass through that intersection frequently. You can bet that I will keep my eyes much wider open from now on.
Yeah I mean that is practically right downtown, its not far from the downtown tunnel from Portsmouth and very close to both US 58 and I264. Makes me want to reconsider traveling that part of the state , if this is so commonplace that it is ignored by the police and almost buried by the local media.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
--snip--

No one in the group made such an utterance that night - no one.

The reference is taken from the media article pointing out that one person, repeat one person, made a single such post on Twitter. We need to be the voice of reason, the purveyors of fact and neither be guilty of distortion nor exaggeration.

Last edited:

Repeater

Other voices are out there

The reference is taken from the media article pointing out that one person, repeat one person, made a single such post on Twitter. We need to be the voice of reason, the purveyors of fact and neither be guilty of distortion nor exaggeration.

Did the Media and Police Ignore Mob Beating of Two White Reporters?

And here:

Local paper only reports suspects’ race when one of their own is attacked

What needs examining is the police attitude.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate

I agree completely!
There have been instances across the country where the Florida case seemed to be used as an excuse as an attack....or so go the media reports.

I dislike discussing race for anything other than the obvious, we're all different in one way or another. It seems sometimes like the media wants a racial situation just to cover up the real issues. Hopefully this is the one subject decent gun owners will tread lightly on.

Don't be a Poindexter seems like a catchy phrase for a lot of things.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I don't understand.

As far as gun owners an internet search shows that gun forums are the people talking about this story the most.

Sure they're talking about it and should, but leave the race card out of it. To start with, I have my doubts about the band of over a hundred blacks that was roaming the streets.

Second, I doubt everyone in that group took a shot at the victims. They were in too good a shape afterward.

Third, I don't want to start generalizing about the blood thirsty black gangs out for revenge any more than I want to be associated with a white cracker walking around in a white hood.

Decent gun owners should be zeroing in on the fact that even though the police try to take our rights on the pretext that they will protect us....they can't and won't.

Last edited:

mk4

Sure they're talking about it and should, but leave the race card out of it. To start with, I have my doubts about the band of over a hundred blacks that was roaming the streets.

Second, I doubt everyone in that group took a shot at the victims. They were in too good a shape afterward.

Third, I don't want to start generalizing about the blood thirsty black gangs out for revenge any more than I want to be associated with a white cracker walking around in a white hood.

Decent gun owners should be zeroing in on the fact that even though the police try to take our rights on the pretext that they will protect us....they can't and won't.

this +1000!

paramedic

Very well said

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Grapeshot

All well and good, Repeater, but the later characterization/references by the media were not addressed in the OP - to which I was responding. That also does not lay such radical expression at the feet of the attackers. When such does occur, I submit that mob psychology knows no ethnic bounds.

Repeater

Felony Arrest

All well and good, Repeater, but the later characterization/references by the media were not addressed in the OP - to which I was responding. That also does not lay such radical expression at the feet of the attackers. When such does occur, I submit that mob psychology knows no ethnic bounds.

Well, an update:

16-year-old charged in assault on two Pilot reporters
Police this morning arrested a 16-year-old in connection with an attack on two Virginian-Pilot reporters April 14.

The teen, whose name is not being released due to his age, has been charged with throwing a missile at a vehicle, a felony, as well as two counts of simple assault by mob, destruction of property and participation in a riot, all misdemeanors. He is in custody.

The attack happened at the intersection of Brambleton and Church streets shortly after 11 p.m. after reporters Dave Forster and Marjon Rostami left the Attucks Theatre following a show. A police report says that somebody threw a rock at their car as a large group was passing, and that when Forster got out to confront the person he was attacked by several people. Rostami was also assaulted. Their injuries were minor, police said.

Rostami estimated the crowd to be around 100, and said 30 or so were in close vicinity to their car. Forster said he could not say how many people hit him.

At a news conference today, interim Norfolk Police Chief Sharon Chamberlin maintained the department’s stance that the case is not being investigated as a hate crime. Forster and Rostami are white and said the assailants were black.

“At no time in our investigation or in statements taken from the victims did it appear this assault was racially motivated,” the chief said. “The streets of Norfolk are safe.”

The Chief claims the streets are safe. No comment from Romney.

The Editor comments:

Pilot stands by handling of attack on staff members
On Wednesday, Norfolk police spokesman Chris Amos strongly defended the police's handling of the incident. Police are not investigating this as a hate crime, Amos added, and there is no proof of racial bias. Even Forster says he heard nothing to indicate the attack was racially motivated.

An updated police report indicates that it is being investigated as a hate crime, but Amos said that was a mistake due to a computer glitch.

Some have assumed the worst and accused The Pilot of everything from liberal hand-wringing to outright lying about the incident.

We did not cover up anything. What would we gain by protecting some thugs who beat up two of our reporters? The accusation is ludicrous.

We bend over backward to treat ourselves the same way we would treat any other member of the community. In fact, we go overboard at times to make sure there is no perception that we have treated ourselves favorably. Based on the facts, this story did not cross the bar to be published because as a general rule, The Pilot doesn't publish stories about simple assaults.

Wow, that's hilarious. He should try that [strike]explanation[/strike] spin with O'Reilly, but he won't go on the Factor.