• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Who needs a gun in Norfolk - Call 911..... All circuits are busy!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Just so we know 100 people against 2 is "simple assault" even when a felony is involved - interesting concept. :uhoh:

45acpForMe

Just so we know 100 people against 2 is "simple assault" even when a felony is involved - interesting concept. :uhoh:

Also in the article, "charged with throwing a missile at a vehicle, a felony, as well as two counts of simple assault by mob, destruction of property and participation in a riot, all misdemeanors."

So I can get in a mob and beat two people, participate in a riot and destroy property only to be charged with a misdemeanor but throw a rock at a car and you lose your gun rights for life???? I would have though the first batch of crimes would have been worse than throwing a rock/projectile!

Also the article says Norfolk is "safe"???? That must have been one heck of a 16 year old to be causing all the problems Norfolk has had all these years!!!

Blk97F150

Also in the article, "charged with throwing a missile at a vehicle, a felony, as well as two counts of simple assault by mob, destruction of property and participation in a riot, all misdemeanors."

I like the 'simple assault by mob'..... yet only ONE person was charged. A mob of one, perhaps?? :confused:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Yeah, but you're one of a kind.... :cool:

Nah - there are at least two of us in every deck.

carnigemoving.gif

Repeater

They just had to toss in Trayvon Martin for good measure... It sucks that it happened and yeah if calling 911 is useless what are you suppose to to? Just accept you're going to get beat down?! I dont think so!

Fox News tried to FOIA the 911 tape, so we, the public, can all hear it. Last night Fox reported the Police officially denied the request, claiming "an ongoing investigation" -- seems like a cover-up.

TFred

O'Reilly spent the first 10 minutes of his show tonight covering the cover-up of this incident. He's still going after the first break.

Watch it on the re-run at 11 Eastern.

TFred

ETA: Also, they've asked McDonnell's office to look into the matter, after AG Cuccinelli declined to significantly comment.

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I don't read the Pilot, but I get the daily FOIA alerts and today this popped up. This should also be a reminder to be careful what you say online.

http://hamptonroads.com/2012/05/police-seek-twitter-data-beating-pilot-journalists
Police have issued search warrants for four Twitter accounts seeking information about an April assault of two Virginian-Pilot reporters.
The warrants request personal information, including all tweets, email addresses and locations of users, from Twitter, according to court records. Messages on the online accounts mention the assault.
In one tweet written about 90 minutes after the attack, a user wrote that she feels sorry "for the white man who got beat up at the light." Another user responded that he did not feel bad, writing "do it for trayvon martin."
Other comments posted on the accounts joked about the assault and mocked police for their response.
Two Pilot reporters, Dave Forster and Marjon Rostami, were assaulted on April 14. Their car was stopped at a light at Church Street and Brambleton Avenue when a pedestrian threw a rock at the vehicle's window, according to a police report. The driver, Forster, got out to confront the rock-thrower and was attacked by several people, the report says. He and Rostami suffered minor injuries.
Norfolk police arrested a 16-year-old last week and charged him with throwing a missile at a vehicle, a felony, two charges of assault by mob, destruction of property and participation in a riot. The juvenile's name is being withheld because of his age. Police said last week that they are still investigating and that a handful of people were likely involved.
In addition to the users' names, the warrants also request phone numbers, Web pages visited and private messages for the entire month of April.
Detectives monitored several social media networks after the incident, the warrant states. "Shortly after the mob assault occurred, the social media network 'Twitter' had several postings in reference to the incident," the report states. "These postings sparked a conversation between several 'Twitter' members."
The search warrants, issued last week, note that Twitter has complied with the request and will turn over the records.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I don't read the Pilot, but I get the daily FOIA alerts and today this popped up. This should also be a reminder to be careful what you say online.

Excellent advice Peter.

OCDO Forum Rules even address this issue indirectly.

See Rule #1
".....post only those comments that you have considered and are willing to take full responsibility for!"

You bear the weight of your words.

Repeater

David Forster and Marjon Rostami have filed complaint against Police

How many here were aware that Marjon Rostami is an Iranian-American? She has been silent on this incident, but no more. Now that both she and Forster have received death threats, they both have an armed security detail protecting them.

Sad:

Reporters file complaint against police
Formal complaints have been filed against a Norfolk Police officer by two Virginian-Pilot reporters, according to the City.

Forster claimed an officer told Rostami to “shut up” and both have said they were upset with the way police treated them at the scene.

O'Reilly continues to pursue this story -- he is the only one:

The bias crime cover up in Virginia grows
Last week "The Factor" reported on a bias assault in Norfolk that left two newspaper reporters injured. Shortly after 11 pm on April 14th, 26 year-old Marjon Rostami and 31-year-old David Forster were coming home from the theater when someone threw a rock at their vehicle. Mr. Forster got out to confront the assailant and was set upon by approximately five African-American young men who beat him.

The thugs then attacked Ms. Rostami as a crowd of about 30 surrounded the vehicle and witnessed the assault. Hysterical, Miss Rostami called 911 and the police arrived.

The initial police report described the assault as a bias crime and a 16-year-old has been arrested. But now, the Norfolk police say it was not a bias crime and are refusing to release the 911 tape saying that would hurt their investigation. How? How could that be possible?

In addition, both victims have filed complaints against the Norfolk Police Department alleging the investigation was mishandled and the cops didn't really want to arrest the assailants or even find them. At the same time the newspaper the reporters work for, "The Virginian Pilot", didn't cover the story for two weeks. Despite the fact the reporters had to take a week off from work to deal with their wounds.

Now, the story gets even more disturbing. The victims Miss Rostami and Mr. Forster have received death threats and had to leave the Norfolk area for a time. They now have security guards providing protection because the situation is so volatile.

In the face of all this Virginia's Attorney General Ken Cuccinelli says his office will not intervene or even provide oversight. Cuccinelli also says he will not ask that the 911 tape be released. Since the victims have filed formal charges against the Norfolk Police Department, we're obviously having trouble getting a handle on the case, we find the attorney general's apathy troubling to say the least.

So we called Virginia Governor Bob McDonald who late this afternoon said he would take a look at the case. The Governor has the power to order a state investigation which this situation badly needs.

So, Ken won't get involved? Really? Will Bob? Will anyone?

As for the typical rationale the cops use for not releasing 911 tapes, been there, done that:

911 tapes are public record, judge rules
The public has a right to hear the 911 call made by a mother accused of killing her son, a Virginia judge ruled.

"The press needs to know," retired Circuit Judge Robert Stump said. "The 911 tape is a public record."

"I’m looking at the bottom line here," the judge said. "The Freedom of Information Act is a sunshine law that says the public should know."

Obstinance can be expensive:

Bristol Herald Carrier wins fees in FOIA/911 tape case
The city of Bristol Virginia has a long history of refusing to release public records to the news media. On many occasions, the city has violated the spirit of the state’s Freedom of Information Act (FOIA), and occasionally the letter of that law.

Two years ago, the Bristol Herald Courier pushed back.

Nearly 26 months of legal wrangling between the city and this newspaper ended last week with a victory for public access. But the big losers were not city officials but you taxpayers: The city’s obstinance in refusing to comply with the law and then its unwillingness to go along with a judge’s decision and make things right will cost you $32,504.45.

THE NEWSPAPER’S victory undermines a routine objection used by prosecutors and police to withhold public records -- that the records have become part of an ongoing criminal investigation.

A final irony, from the Pilot:

When FOIA has to be invoked, taxpayers get burned twice
I don't expect local officials to make my life easy when I'm trying to collect information. It's my job to dig that stuff out.

I also don't expect them to twist the law to keep details about the public's business from the public.

The state's Freedom of Information Act gives authorities too many loopholes. Time after time, Virginians are deprived from learning about what's going on with their leaders and in their communities.

Here's an example:

Virginia Beach officials have refused to release the 911 tape involving the grisly death of a homeless man at the Oceanfront, after a city dump truck ran over him in June. They have cited an exemption in FOIA that allows - but doesn't require - government officials to keep private the items in a "criminal investigative file." The city's top prosecutor has said no criminal conduct occurred and that he won't charge the driver.

Citizens must clamor for greater openness, and lawmakers must strengthen FOIA to further benefit all Virginians. Then the government won't treat residents like such an annoyance.

Last edited:

Goingdef

I live in norfolk about 10min from where this incident took place(oceanview) and I feel plenty safe!....... mainly because the Beretta 92fs Inox w/20rd mec-gar mags I carry and the nickel 84fs cheetah my wife carry's along with spare mags loaded +p PDX-1's or +p golden sabers, "yea" norfolk sucks and that's why I will be moving soon!

Repeater

The media ignore racially motivated black-on-white crime

Thomas Sowell has it right:

A Censored Race War
When two white newspaper reporters for the Virginian-Pilot were driving through Norfolk, and were set upon and beaten by a mob of young blacks — beaten so badly that they had to take a week off from work — that might sound like news that should have been reported, at least by their own newspaper. But it wasn’t.

The O’Reilly Factor on Fox News Channel was the first major television program to report this incident. Yet this story is not just a Norfolk story, either in what happened or in how the media and the authorities have tried to sweep it under the rug.

Those who automatically say that the social pathology of the ghetto is due to poverty, discrimination, and the like cannot explain why such pathology was far less prevalent in the 1950s, when poverty and discrimination were worse. But there were not nearly as many grievance mongers and race hustlers then.

Far less "gun violence" in the 1950s as well. So much for Progress.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Thomas Sowell has it right:

A Censored Race War

Far less "gun violence" in the 1950s as well. So much for Progress.

You mean back when certain people were not allowed to legally have guns, and certain other people only used guns to control folks, but preferred lynching as the means of killing? There was little need for "gun violence" when "rope violence" was both available and often condoned (by at least one side).

The "good old days" were never as good as we want to remember them being.

stay safe.

67GT390FB

You mean back when certain people were not allowed to legally have guns, and certain other people only used guns to control folks, but preferred lynching as the means of killing? There was little need for "gun violence" when "rope violence" was both available and often condoned (by at least one side).

The "good old days" were never as good as we want to remember them being.

stay safe.

it's going to get even harder for the folks on here clamoring for someone to do something and release the tapes and lets hang cuccinelli for not doing his job even though he is doing his job we just don;t like how he's doing it cuz it don't suit us.

i'll find the links but there have been 4 arrests made so far in this incident but they all be minors(also known as sweet innocent baby angels) so don't be looking for mugshots or names or anything else.

can't find the link to the richmond times dispatch article i read in last nights print edition but here is what i've found online.

http://www.wnd.com/2012/05/more-blacks-arrested-in-mob-attack-on-whites/

http://nation.foxnews.com/virginia-mob-attack/2012/05/14/2-more-arrests-mob-attack-white-reporters

http://www.wavy.com/dpp/news/local_news/norfolk/suspects-speak-out-on-norfolk-attack

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
it's going to get even harder for the folks on here clamoring for someone to do something and release the tapes and lets hang cuccinelli for not doing his job even though he is doing his job we just don;t like how he's doing it cuz it don't suit us.

i'll find the links but there have been 4 arrests made so far in this incident but they all be minors(also known as sweet innocent baby angels) so don't be looking for mugshots or names or anything else.

can't find the link to the richmond times dispatch article i read in last nights print edition but here is what i've found online.

http://www.wnd.com/2012/05/more-blacks-arrested-in-mob-attack-on-whites/

http://nation.foxnews.com/virginia-mob-attack/2012/05/14/2-more-arrests-mob-attack-white-reporters

http://www.wavy.com/dpp/news/local_news/norfolk/suspects-speak-out-on-norfolk-attack

What do I hear?
The voice of reason....tell me it ain't so,not on OCDO. :lol:

Said the little lamb to the shepard boy
Do you hear what I hear
Ringing through the sky shepard boy
Do you hear what I hear
A song, a song
High above the tree
With a voice as big as the sea
With a voice as big as the sea

Last edited:

Repeater

Well ...

3 more teens charged in beating of Pilot journalists

Charged teen says he wasn't at attack on Pilot reporters