• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Non CPL OC in National Parks in Michigan

Yance

I plan to camp (for probably up to a week) on South Manitou Island this summer which is a part of Leelanau County and the Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore. I was wondering about the legalities of open carrying on a National Park with no CPL, I know that MCL 324.504 covers state parks or rather any property under the control for the DNR and it states:

(6) The department shall not promulgate or enforce a rule that prohibits an individual who is licensed or exempt from licensure under 1927 PA 372, MCL 28.421 to 28.435, from carrying a pistol in compliance with that act, whether concealed or otherwise, on property under the control of the department..

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(rf...eg.aspx?page=GetObject&objectname=mcl-324-504

I googled around and havent found anything that makes me 100% positive I can in a Federal park so I thought I would ask so I can be sure before I make the trip since someone on here I'm sure will know an answer or where I can find it.

Thanks in advance guys.

SpringerXDacp

http://worldexaminer.com/2010/02/27/nra-ila-right-to-carry-takes-effect-in-national-parks/

• Under the new law, every park is subject to all the firearms laws of the state (or states) where the park is located.
  • Park visitors must know and obey state laws, including knowing which state laws apply in parks (such as Yellowstone) that cross state boundaries. (For information on state laws, go to www.nraila.org/gunlaws.)
  • The new law affects firearms possession, not use. Laws regarding hunting, poaching, target shooting or any unlawful discharge remain unchanged.
  • It will remain unlawful to carry in certain locations, under a separate law that prohibits possession of any firearm in a "federal facility."

Read also:

http://www.nraila.org/legislation/f...ittee-on-energy-and-water-appropriations.aspx

TheQ

I once CC'd at the dunes -- until I took my outer shirt off, then I was "Virginia tuck".

Then again, I haz CPL

Last edited:

Bronson

(6) The department shall not promulgate or enforce a rule that prohibits an individual who is licensed or exempt from licensure under 1927 PA 372, MCL 28.421 to 28.435, from carrying a pistol in compliance with that act, whether concealed or otherwise, on property under the control of the department..

Since 28.422 is the law that spells out the License to Purchase/Possess/Transport and MI's registration scheme and it falls within the range of laws in the cite my personal opinion would be that you'd be legal. However, Venator has had several discussions with at least one DNR officer who disagreed. I know V was working on getting him to understand but I don't know if he succeeded.

Bronson

Yance

I was thinking about printing off a copy of 324.504 and 28.422 just in case I get hassled I could have the information right there with me.

PDinDetroit

Since 28.422 is the law that spells out the License to Purchase/Possess/Transport and MI's registration scheme and it falls within the range of laws in the cite my personal opinion would be that you'd be legal. However, Venator has had several discussions with at least one DNR officer who disagreed. I know V was working on getting him to understand but I don't know if he succeeded.

Bronson

IMO, it will take a Michigan Attorney General Opinion on MCL 28.422 as being the "Michigan Open Carry Law" before Lawyers, Police, Citizens, etc to refer to it as such. It SEEMS very Self-Explanatory to me...

Yooper

http://www.nps.gov/grca/parkmgmt/upload/Firearms-in-IMRparks2-2010.pdf

Don't pay much attention to the DNR regs. The DNR doesn't have control over federal land, thus MCL 324.504 doesn't apply there. MCL 324.504 was put in place to stop the DNR from restricting CPL holders where they (DNR) DOES have jurisdiction. Again, the DNR has no jurisdiction to control NPS property (the wildlife they might, such as fishing regs).

scot623

"• For national security reasons, guns cannot be carried into federal facilities within national parks. Notice of this rule will be clearly displayed outside all federal facilities. If you are unsure if a park building is a federal facility, look for a sign or ask a park ranger."

National Security reasons?? That's a stretch.

TheQ

"• For national security reasons, guns cannot be carried into federal facilities within national parks. Notice of this rule will be clearly displayed outside all federal facilities. If you are unsure if a park building is a federal facility, look for a sign or ask a park ranger."

National Security reasons?? That's a stretch.

I've heard such buildings could include restrooms...

stainless1911

Banned
I thought those were allowed due to the fact that .gov personnel dont occupy them.

The only threat to National security in the bathrooms is the explosions of toxic gasses in there, chemical warfare old school.

Last edited:

TheQ

That's a great citation. I'll use it myself.

"According to Stainless' memory -- there was a Forum posting on MGO where someone said"

HEARSAY!

griffin

I've heard such buildings could include restrooms...
Restrooms are not included in the federal restriction. I should find a cite but I am a million messages behind on catching up on the OC forums.

I will state that Stainless1911 was right. :banana: :p