• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Vegetarian, Vega, Raw-Foodist OC'rs.

OC for ME

Don't eat bait.

Two, don't eat raw venison, rats with antlers.

C, 'square' fish is better for you due to all of the chemicals that get rid of the bad natural stuff.

Four, we do need to treat animals with respect, right up to the point where we kill them so that we may cook then eat their flesh.

....I'm getting hungry, where's my rifle?

PistolPackingMomma

dammit, I want some sushi now! For my husband's birthday last year, we took him to a local sushi joint and had barbecued eel, baby octopi, roe and various types of sushi and sashimi....so yummy...

Aknazer

I'm currently TDY to California and I found a local sushi place that reminds me of being back in Japan (though the prices do NOT remind me of Japan). I go there once a week and I think I'll be going there tonight for some more raw food!

Oh and I didn't mind the taste of the raw venison. It was fresh from the kill and was while we were preparing the meat to go to a place to be turned into summer sausage. Man that's some good summer sausage with a Ritz cracker and a bit of cheese...

Last edited:

gunns

I belong to PETA, people eating the animals. But I am up for meeting for a vegie meal, have to give me plenty of notice so's I can travel.

H

Herr Heckler Koch

I'm currently TDY to California and I found a local sushi place that reminds me of being back in Japan (though the prices do NOT remind me of Japan).
I Imagine.

Sashimi quality bluefin recently went for $US1200/pound in the round (whole fish) ¥200,000/Kg served at ¥10,000 or ~$US100 few ounces serving.

TechnoWeenie

It's proven that veggies/vegans have considerably higher chances of developing mental disorders. Most say it's because of the lack of protein and 'brain nutrients', I think it's because they were crazy to begin with..

Sig229

It's proven that veggies/vegans have considerably higher chances of developing mental disorders.
Care to back up that statement with a cite?

Most say it's because of the lack of protein and 'brain nutrients', I think it's because they were crazy to begin with..

There is an enormous array of other non-meat foods you can eat that often have a higher protein content and less fat.

Dont forget, humans weren't designed to eat meat. We adapted to eat meat.

Human teeth and digestive tract is the same as any mammal who eats a roughage based diet.

Im not against eating meat, but at least Im educated about the topic.

Last edited:

OC for ME

Considering that the dinosaurs likely died due to gastrointestinal emanations, because they were plant eaters, vegans and veggie-centric folks are a direct threat to the climate.

TechnoWeenie

Care to back up that statement with a cite?

There is an enormous array of other non-meat foods you can eat that often have a higher protein content and less fat.

Dont forget, humans weren't designed to eat meat. We adapted to eat meat.

Human teeth and digestive tract is the same as any mammal who eats a roughage based diet.

Im not against eating meat, but at least Im educated about the topic.

I don't wanna devote too much time to taking you to school...

But, a short anthropology lesson is due.

Basically, as primates, we needed more protein to fuel our rapidly developing brains (you know, we were evolving). In order to fuel that evolution, and the need for more protein, we needed to eat meat... In order to eat meat, we needed to get smarter to catch prey, so as we started catching small animals, our brains developed further, allowing us to start making tools, which in turn allowed us to catch larger animals, which have more fats and proteins, and more meat = more protein = more brain fuel = higher brain function = higher protein requirement = need more meat = higher brain function to hunt better = more meat = more protein = higher brain function .......and on and on...

Vegetarians likely to suffer from dementia, Alzheimer's--researchers

Vegetarians at risk of brain disorders

hjmoosejaw

To each his own. I happen to be a hard core carnivore, so by any of you eating your veggie burgers, that just leaves more meat for me. Thanks!

PistolPackingMomma

I don't wanna devote too much time to taking you to school...

But, a short anthropology lesson is due.

Basically, as primates, we needed more protein to fuel our rapidly developing brains (you know, we were evolving). In order to fuel that evolution, and the need for more protein, we needed to eat meat... In order to eat meat, we needed to get smarter to catch prey, so as we started catching small animals, our brains developed further, allowing us to start making tools, which in turn allowed us to catch larger animals, which have more fats and proteins, and more meat = more protein = more brain fuel = higher brain function = higher protein requirement = need more meat = higher brain function to hunt better = more meat = more protein = higher brain function .......and on and on...

Vegetarians likely to suffer from dementia, Alzheimer's--researchers

Vegetarians at risk of brain disorders

But don't insects and quinoa have a higher rate of protein then meat? They also require less effort to gather. It seems we are best served by a varied, balanced diet.

Either way, I'll still load a steak, sushi and veggies on my plate. It's all yummy. Except lima beans. Ick.

TechnoWeenie

But don't insects and quinoa have a higher rate of protein then meat? They also require less effort to gather. It seems we are best served by a varied, balanced diet.

I believe that you're correct, however I would question the amount of insects needed in order to get the daily caloric and nutrient values needed for an average human.

Based on a quick google...

100 grams of cricket contains: 121 calories, 12.9 grams of protein, 5.5 g. of fat

The avg cricket weighs about 4g.

That would mean.... about 25 crickets (!) to get 13 grams of protein.....

That doesn't sound very efficient to me...

Either way, I'll still load a steak, sushi and veggies on my plate. It's all yummy. Except lima beans. Ick.

Oh yeah.. gimme a steak.. :D

PistolPackingMomma

I believe that you're correct, however I would question the amount of insects needed in order to get the daily caloric and nutrient values needed for an average human.

Based on a quick google...

100 grams of cricket contains: 121 calories, 12.9 grams of protein, 5.5 g. of fat

The avg cricket weighs about 4g.

That would mean.... about 25 crickets (!) to get 13 grams of protein.....

That doesn't sound very efficient to me...

Oh yeah.. gimme a steak.. :D

Interesting and valid point. I suppose by 'efficient' I meant that gathering bugs and grain meant less work then hunting, but I've never gathered crickets/grasshoppers/beetles/etc for consumption before, so I can't really make that claim, lol!

I have seen people on the travel channel who raise "bug farms", which looks relatively simple. You just have to get over the idea of popping them in your mouth, which a lot of people are reluctant to do. But we watch a lot of "Bizarre Foods", and there was this awesome recipe for roasted june bugs that looked pretty dang mouth watering...

Beretta92FSLady

Interesting and valid point. I suppose by 'efficient' I meant that gathering bugs and grain meant less work then hunting, but I've never gathered crickets/grasshoppers/beetles/etc for consumption before, so I can't really make that claim, lol!
[snippers]

There are some scientists that believe human chased their game down by running them to death. The human body is built to run long distances.

Now, I have been hunting before, and I will tell you, picking vegetation is not as physically intensive. Humans are natural foragers, IMO, of course. People have this idea that they would just kill an animal if they were hungry, but forget that they may not always have ammunition, then what?...a bow? Getting all of that together is harder than eating vegetation--the latter, you can live off, and get protein from. If I wanted more protein, I would raise some goats or cows, and drink the milk, maybe fish every now and then, but my primary intake would be things that grow from the ground.

BTW, for the survivalist-minded individual, I would recommend you pick yourself up a book that outlines local vegetation that humans can consume. If all else fails you can eat much of the things that grow in your yard, and about fields. Also, there is another book...can't remember the name, but it has recipes for road-kill, and other little varmints such as squirrels (which I hear is tasty).

Last edited:

PistolPackingMomma

There are some scientists that believe human chased their game down by running them to death. The human body is built to run long distances.

I'm sure that depends on the game, and the hunter's personal fitness. I personally can't see Oprah chasing a gazelle :lol: But Michael Phelps could probably catch whatever the hell he wants!

Now, I have been hunting before, and I will tell you, picking vegetation is not as physically intensive. Humans are natural foragers, IMO, of course. People have this idea that they would just kill an animal if they were hungry, but forget that they may not always have ammunition, then what?...a bow? Getting all of that together is harder than eating vegetation--the latter, you can live off, and get protein from. If I wanted more protein, I would raise some goats or cows, and drink the milk, maybe fish every now and then, but my primary intake would be things that grow from the ground.

I concur. Sitting by a giant winged ant mound in Africa (for example) and smoking them out of the ground, then gathering them in a bowl is a lot less work then stalking a deer, and less boring then sitting in a deer stand waiting for something to wander by. And you usually do have to wait. Hunting in real life is not nearly like hunting in the Oregon Trail game, LOL!

Then you also have to consider that not everyone lives in communities where there are an abundance of hunter/gatherers. Some may be sick, elderly or otherwise limited. Foraging for wild edibles is an invaluable skill that too many neglect. Such an individual would not find it too laborious to make a salad from marigolds and dandelions.

BTW, for the survivalist-minded individual, I would recommend you pick yourself up a book that outlines local vegetation that humans can consume. If all else fails you can eat much of the things that grow in your yard, and about fields. Also, there is another book...can't remember the name, but it has recipes for road-kill, and other little varmints such as squirrels (which I hear is tasty).

I've been researching that topic, as well as how to use local vegetation for homeopathic medicine. It's really fascinating. You just have to beware of pesticide poisoned plants :uhoh: