• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Vegetarian, Vega, Raw-Foodist OC'rs.

Beretta92FSLady

A number of years ago I first became a vegetarian. And then at some point I went totally Vegan, until the age of twenty-five. I have been eating animal foods for the past eight years, but am going back to my Vegan roots, likely back to raw foods.

I am curious if there are any OC'r that are Vegetarian, Vegan, or Raw-Foodist.

I am looking for some people that might want to have a OC Vegetarian/Vegan/Raw-Foodist meet. I know this might be a bit of a challenge LOL.

I get a lot of crap from individuals who are Vegen/Raw-Foodist for carrying a firearm; that is, until I take them shooting haa haa haa!

DrakeZ07

I dunno if it actually counts, but for me, the only meat's I eat, is lean chicken from the health food store on occasion, and every once in a while, I'll have some wild Catfish. But for the most part, unless I attend a local M&G and want to fit in, I'll eat mostly veggies, and plenty of fruit~ ^-^ Like, 6 days of the week is fruits and veggies, and one day I'll eat a small piece of meat for the protein.

Come to Kentucky, I have a small garden in my back yard, pick some beets, radishes, lettuce, and some green tomatoes to munch on :D

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
"Vegetarian" - American Indian word for "can't hunt worth spit".:D

"Vagan" - "person who refuses to wash dirt off vegetables for fear of drowning the germs/microbes".:D

OK, now that we got those out of the way - why you gonna hate on us meat-eaters? Our tummies get the flippity-flops and our heads go spinning when we see folks purposely not eating animal parts. We have the same emotional issues as your side claims.

Isn't "going back" to being a vegetarian sort of like claiming to be a virgin again? I always thought that like going home again, you can't do it.

How about we set up a special table for you vegetarian folks at the next meet&eat - right next to the Alcoholics Anonymous table?

Having gotten all that out of my system - if you can overcome the liberal-leaning thoughts that seem so often to accompany American Vegetarianism by introducing them to the goodness of shooting then by all means do so. But since the number of vegetarian (and thus at the moment are non-shooters) folks will outnumber you, it might be wise to consider asking some other shooters to help you out. Maybe tell them that they get to eat after the shooting is over - you know, use the meat in a stick-and-carrot sort of way.

If I can manage to be serious for just one sentence -- is the get-together going to be about shooting or about which foods you won't eat?

stay safe.

Kirbinator

I look at vegetarian and vegan as alternatives in a sufficiently large town. The options in smaller towns aren't that large for vegans or vegetarians, and in the event of a large-scale disaster, almost non-existent.

I don't see vegetarian or vegan being sustainable in a subsistence lifestyle without a long planning and lead-in period of waiting for crops to mature, then harvest and process them.

OC for ME

Edible native plants, not just 'produce' that is likely available at your local grocery store. Survival may very well depend on how good you are at identifying the local flora.

The military used to, may be still do, issue playing cards that had the edible flora in the op area if you had to SERE.

Racer X

I've been Vegan for about 12 years now and I live in a small town. It's not all that difficult, just takes a little more research and finding the right stores. It has gotten easier in the last decade or so since a lot of the food industry has started catering to "healthier" diets. There is no substitute for a good Whole Foods store, but I can put a few good meals together from Walmart without much trouble.

OC for ME

It is/may be a myth that a meat free diet is more healthy than a diet that contains meat. A meat free diet may be as healthy or slightly less healthy than a diet that contains meat.

I don't know if the 'science' is conclusive one way or the other. I have a doctor friend who says that meat free is healthier and another doctor friend that says a diet without meat is not as healthy. Plan the meal properly and the portions properly and I guess either diet is just as healthy as the other.

What I do know is that a triple bacon cheese burger sure does taste pretty darn good every now and then.

Racer X

It is/may be a myth that a meat free diet is more healthy than a diet that contains meat. A meat free diet may be as healthy or slightly less healthy than a diet that contains meat.

I don't know if the 'science' is conclusive one way or the other. I have a doctor friend who says that meat free is healthier and another doctor friend that says a diet without meat is not as healthy. Plan the meal properly and the portions properly and I guess either diet is just as healthy as the other.

What I do know is that a triple bacon cheese burger sure does taste pretty darn good every now and then.

There are ways to screw up either way. It is just as hard to eat a healthy meat free diet as it is to eat a healthy meat diet. That is why we see so many problems with weight in America. Even a simple meat eating diet causes problems for most folks just has a non-meat diet causes problems for those who don't research what they are doing. It is pretty easy to screw up no matter what diet one chooses given the easy availability of so many unhealthy choices in today's society.

What I found most interesting about my diet is my complete hatred of cheese now. I used to love cheese when I was younger. I would eat chunks of cheddar right out of the fridge and destroy any macaroni and cheese within arms reach. After a few years of not eating cheese I can't stand it. I hate cheese. I can't stand the smell of it. It's weird how your body does that. I have zero cravings for all the things I used to love and in some cases can't stand to be around it just from the smell. The only exception to that is Ice Cream Snickers bars. Man I miss those. :lol:

Beretta92FSLady

There are ways to screw up either way. It is just as hard to eat a healthy meat free diet as it is to eat a healthy meat diet. That is why we see so many problems with weight in America. Even a simple meat eating diet causes problems for most folks just has a non-meat diet causes problems for those who don't research what they are doing. It is pretty easy to screw up no matter what diet one chooses given the easy availability of so many unhealthy choices in today's society.

What I found most interesting about my diet is my complete hatred of cheese now. I used to love cheese when I was younger. I would eat chunks of cheddar right out of the fridge and destroy any macaroni and cheese within arms reach. After a few years of not eating cheese I can't stand it. I hate cheese. I can't stand the smell of it. It's weird how your body does that. I have zero cravings for all the things I used to love and in some cases can't stand to be around it just from the smell. The only exception to that is Ice Cream Snickers bars. Man I miss those. :lol:

Personally, I enjoyed being Vegan because I enjoyed the eating; much more than when I ate meat. A meat diet is not good for everyone; that being stated, a Vegan diet is not good for everyone. I suppose what this boils down to is what's right for your body, and a Vegan way of eating always felt right to be.

I became the same way about cheese, and about meat, after being Vegan for a number of years. And then I began eating those things again, and I just have felt terrible all of these years, physically, psychologically.

What I missed most when I was Vegan was bloody steaks. I have always loved the bloodiest steak that I could have cooked--almost moo'ing. That was a struggle for me the first little while that I was Vegan years ago. And I know it is, and will be a struggle this time around, but worth it for me, IMO.

People get worked up over eating meat. When the discussion of eating meat, and veganism comes up, there are people that get defensive, I seen when I lived as a vegan. Food is very personal to all of us. We need it to live, it is a everyday reality of our lives.

I just thought I would post and see if there are others out here than may be Vegan, Vegetarian or a raw-foodist. Just your run-of-the-mill laid back thread.

Beretta92FSLady

Trust me, there is plenty of vegan junk-food. Just as much as if you were a meat eater!:lol:

OC for ME

I gots me a friend who is one of those veggie only nuts. He grows 'free range' veggies.....his words, not mine.

His organic veggie garden is not organic anymore because, now stay with me for minute, just repeating what my nutty loony-lib-sock-puppet-birkenstock-wearing-no-bathing best buddy is telling me, that his dog took a leak on some of his veggies and since the dog eats processed dog food the ground is now contaminated, for this growing season. Therefore the veggies can not be considered 'organic'.

I asked him if he shot that dang dog. He said he thought about it, briefly.

He owns a Beretta 687 Ultralight Deluxe 12 Ga. Nice gun. He hunts dove and quail because his wife is a meat eater. In fact she does not care for many veggies other than corn or peas, black-eyed peas every now and then.

Beretta92FSLady

[snippers] my nutty loony-lib-sock-puppet-birkenstock-wearing-no-bathing best buddy is telling me,[snippers].

Fraternizing with the enemy I see:p You're making a habit of this. Fraternizing with me on here. Fraternizing with your best buddy in your non-forum life. Be careful, it's contagious!

Last edited:

Sig229

I was a vegetarian for about six years.

I know a lot of gun guys think that being a vegetarian is a liberal animal activist type of thing, but I was actually in the best health of my life when I was a vegetarian.

And by the looks of a lot of the obese gun owners I see at gun shows who think when the SHTF they are going to be some type of Navy Seal commando, it would do them some good.

Like I said, Im no longer a vegetarian, but I rarely eat red meat. I do eat chicken or fish once in a while.
And when I cook chicken at home, I only eat organic non caged chicken or eggs.
Believe it or not, it tastes a whole lot better than chemical filled caged chickens.

Last edited:

singhcr

Personally, I enjoyed being Vegan because I enjoyed the eating; much more than when I ate meat. A meat diet is not good for everyone; that being stated, a Vegan diet is not good for everyone. I suppose what this boils down to is what's right for your body, and a Vegan way of eating always felt right to be.

I became the same way about cheese, and about meat, after being Vegan for a number of years. And then I began eating those things again, and I just have felt terrible all of these years, physically, psychologically.

What I missed most when I was Vegan was bloody steaks. I have always loved the bloodiest steak that I could have cooked--almost moo'ing. That was a struggle for me the first little while that I was Vegan years ago. And I know it is, and will be a struggle this time around, but worth it for me, IMO.

People get worked up over eating meat. When the discussion of eating meat, and veganism comes up, there are people that get defensive, I seen when I lived as a vegan. Food is very personal to all of us. We need it to live, it is a everyday reality of our lives.

I just thought I would post and see if there are others out here than may be Vegan, Vegetarian or a raw-foodist. Just your run-of-the-mill laid back thread.

I don't know of any vegan OC'ers, but my sister is vegan and I have a lot of respect for her because she's doing what she believes in and it's also hard to have such a restrictive diet. I don't plan on giving up meat, but it did make me think critically about how we treat animals for food and while humans are ultimately more valuable than animals, we still need to treat them with respect. I commend you for what you are doing, even if I don't personally agree with it. To me it is like being an OC'er because many people will not understand you and since you are not toting the status quo (be it meat or being disarmed) many will ridicule you because you are challenging their belief system and they can't cope with that because they've probably never seriously thought about it.

Last edited:

Aknazer

I love raw foods. Nothing like a good slab of sashimi (that's specifically prepared raw fish for those that don't know). I've also had raw venison after a hunt and that was good too. Even raw or super rare steak isn't bad!

DrakeZ07

I love raw foods. Nothing like a good slab of sashimi (that's specifically prepared raw fish for those that don't know). I've also had raw venison after a hunt and that was good too. Even raw or super rare steak isn't bad!

Isn't Sashimi a form, or cousin of Sushi? I love the latter, but the Japanese place I eat at doesn't have, or atleast I haven't noticed/seen Sashimi on their menu :eek:

H

Herr Heckler Koch

The essential element of sushi is the rice. Sushi is finger food. The essential element of sashimi is sliced uncooked meat eaten with chopsticks.

Unreservedly recommended - Sushi Koiso, Kihei, Maui. Seats 16, one day minimum advance reservations mandatory, in a strip mall, ~$US100 per person for sushi, sashimi, saki dinner. Papa-Chef-san is very proud of having recently served the Japanese Prime Minister and his entourage.

sudden valley gunner

The best Sashimi is before the meat darkens right after a catch.....yummmmm...

You should try poke (poh-kay), Raw ahi soaked in shoyu, with limu, hawaiian salt , green onion, sesame oil, and a few other ingredients to taste. I think I am going to go buy some Ahi today. There is a reason why Polynesians were large healthy people before being "discovered" by Europeans.