• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Vegetarian, Vega, Raw-Foodist OC'rs.

Beretta92FSLady

I'm sure that depends on the game, and the hunter's personal fitness. I personally can't see Oprah chasing a gazelle :lol: But Michael Phelps could probably catch whatever the hell he wants!

Oprah would be hard-pressed to chase much down LOL.

I concur. Sitting by a giant winged ant mound in Africa (for example) and smoking them out of the ground, then gathering them in a bowl is a lot less work then stalking a deer, and less boring then sitting in a deer stand waiting for something to wander by. And you usually do have to wait. Hunting in real life is not nearly like hunting in the Oregon Trail game, LOL!

Hunting is a tiring thing, by my experience. My step-dad always had us hiking into the mountains...no vehicles.

Then you also have to consider that not everyone lives in communities where there are an abundance of hunter/gatherers. Some may be sick, elderly or otherwise limited. Foraging for wild edibles is an invaluable skill that too many neglect. Such an individual would not find it too laborious to make a salad from marigolds and dandelions.

City Hunter/Gatherers will be knocking at your door either with a mob or firearms, demanding your canned goods. That's what the Scatter-gun is for!

I've been researching that topic, as well as how to use local vegetation for homeopathic medicine. It's really fascinating. You just have to beware of pesticide poisoned plants :uhoh:

Many medicines are derived from plants--with a little change here, and there. Vegetation must always be washed prior to eating.

PistolPackingMomma

Many medicines are derived from plants--with a little change here, and there.

Yes, like aspirin is derived from willow bark, and valium from valerian root. There is also medicine made from animal components, such as anti-venom. The issue I have with most "modern" medicine today is the synthetics introduced for cost and quality control. Not necessarily because those things are bad; I just question the safety and effectiveness of anything created in a lab. It's just a personal concern, and YMMV.

Vegetation must always be washed prior to eating.

yes it should; however I'm referring to plants that have soaked up pesticides into their structure that cannot be washed off. Just better to be safe then sorry.

Sig229

I don't wanna devote too much time to taking you to school...

But, a short anthropology lesson is due.

Basically, as primates, we needed more protein to fuel our rapidly developing brains (you know, we were evolving).

Id hardly call that "taking me to school". Especially since I was clear when I said in my post that we adapted/evolved to eat meat.

Again, the human mouth, jaw and teeth are that of a vegetarian based mammal. The GI and digestive tract is that of an Omnivore.

TechnoWeenie

Don't get me wrong, I love eating meat from time to time.

4mceko5.gif

Daylen

raw foodist? I'll eat a steak sliced sprayed with lime juice with no heating, does that count?

PistolPackingMomma

I've always wanted to try foods like raccoon, snake, alligator, ostrich, and yes, even horse. The most "bizarre" thing I ever ate was kangaroo stew, and I'm not 100% sure it actually was kangaroo.

Daylen

Skip the raccoon unless there is nothing else....greezy....nasty....critter. Everything else other than horse tastes like chicken anyway.

Sounds like the words of someone who either has no access to even a mediocre cook or has never tried wild game.

Raccoon is very tasty when prepared well and has a flavor and texture reminiscent of beef roast. Alligator, I've not had prepared well so all I can say about it is Florida lacks a bit in Alligator preparation. Opossum has a stringy texture and its difficult to get all the gamey taste out. After some experimentation I decided Opossum is too much work to make pallet able and is better as buzzard food.

Last edited:

Sig229

I've always wanted to try foods like raccoon, snake, alligator, ostrich, and yes, even horse. The most "bizarre" thing I ever ate was kangaroo stew, and I'm not 100% sure it actually was kangaroo.

Ive eaten alligator, horse and snake.

Alligator was okay. It was a lot like extra chewy chicken. And horse wasnt bad at all. I ate that when I was in north eastern china.

Mas49.56

I am a weekend carnivore. The wife and I eat whole foods and vegan restaurant meals during the week. This and exercise has really helped me to maintain my normal BMI and keeps my lab work normal. Most of my genetic relatives are high BMI, heart disease, low HDL, High triglycerides, etc... The American diet and all the high fructose corn syrup in everything is killing us. I saw high fructose corn syrup in a can of tomatoes the other day!!!! It's crazy! The government does not have your best interests in mind with the food regulators being in bed with the processed food industry.

When I went into health care 20 years ago, an obese patient was around 250-350lbs. Now it's common that we turn away almost everyday a 450lb+ patient! We have to because our procedure table will snap off at this weight. It's getting worse each day.

I do believe I'm the only one carrying a gun in the vegan places though.:dude:

PistolPackingMomma

I am a weekend carnivore. The wife and I eat whole foods and vegan restaurant meals during the week. This and exercise has really helped me to maintain my normal BMI and keeps my lab work normal. Most of my genetic relatives are high BMI, heart disease, low HDL, High triglycerides, etc... The American diet and all the high fructose corn syrup in everything is killing us. I saw high fructose corn syrup in a can of tomatoes the other day!!!! It's crazy! The government does not have your best interests in mind with the food regulators being in bed with the processed food industry.

When I went into health care 20 years ago, an obese patient was around 250-350lbs. Now it's common that we turn away almost everyday a 450lb+ patient! We have to because our procedure table will snap off at this weight. It's getting worse each day.

I do believe I'm the only one carrying a gun in the vegan places though.:dude:

Speaking of high fructose corn syrup...that was part of the evil plot last night in a show called Supernatural :) It gave me chills that it our government = leviathans.

hjmoosejaw

Various types of fish, various cuts of beef or pork, chicken, turkey, doves, quail, pheasant, ducks, geese, squirrels, rabbits, deer, racoon, and groundhog. Liked some more than others (naturally) but ate them all.

What time is dinner?

Michigander

I like eating meat, but I mostly don't on account of the way farms raise meat animals in the USA. I will not eat an animal that didn't eat it's natural diet. We are what we eat, and so are animals. I don't want to be corn, stale candy, antibiotics and other junk that a cow ate. So most days I end up eating no meat, even though 2 or 3 times daily would be fine with me.

I am however very into raw fruit and vegetables.

j4l

I like my veggies, mind you- but they are SIDES, not entire meals..
No thnx, I'll stick to grilling my Gator with a nice side of steamed or grilled veggies ..:monkey

Daylen

All this talk of raw food made me hungry. Dinner tonight is uncooked chuck roast with lime juice.