Thread: Coming to your state!!

Coming to your state!!

Hey all. Gonna be heading to Minnesota this weekend for some business. Am looking forward to seeing your state. Just a couple questions:

1) Open Carry Legal?

2) Iowa Permit legal for Minnesota Carry?

3) If the answer to #2 is yes, am I required to carry my permit while open carrying?
    Eye95......
    I am not with you. If the particular way in which you choose to break the laws is to take up arms against the government, know that I will, at the moment, choose to stand on the government's side and take up arms against you."
    In reference to the March on DC.

The statements made in this post do not necessarily reflect the views of OCDO or its members.

Quote Originally Posted by Tucker6900 View Post
    Hey all. Gonna be heading to Minnesota this weekend for some business. Am looking forward to seeing your state. Just a couple questions:

1) Open Carry Legal?

2) Iowa Permit legal for Minnesota Carry?

3) If the answer to #2 is yes, am I required to carry my permit while open carrying?
    Open carry legal with permit to carry, It does look that Iowa permit is honored, yes you have to have your permit with you while you have your firearm on your person

Quote Originally Posted by tjkruck View Post
    Open carry legal with permit to carry, It does look that Iowa permit is honored, yes you have to have your permit with you while you have your firearm on your person
    You beat me to it. I couldnt find the statute. Will you quote it?

Quote Originally Posted by Irish.40 View Post
    I didn't use my computer battery is dead so I don't have the link. I used the CCW app for my phone

You could use handgunlaw.us

Handgunlaw.us states MN is a not required to inform, which it is. So im not sure of that sites validity. Also be cautious when siting a phone app about state law. Personal research is the only way to be sure. I'll post more when I have time to look it up.

State Researcher
    Minnesota law, Minn. Stat. 624.714, requires a permit to "carr[y], hold[], or possess[] a pistol in a motor vehicle, snowmobile, or boat, or on or about the person's clothes or the person, or otherwise in possession or control in a public place," without regard to whether it is carried openly or concealed. See Minn. Stat. 624.712 for definitions. The list of states whose permits are valid in Minnesota under Minn. Stat. 624.714 subd. 16 is available here. Currently, only 15 states are on the recognition list, and Iowa is not one of them. Minnesota issues nonresident permits (however, you must take a Minnesota-specific class and apply in person); I also suggest a Utah nonresident permit (requires a Utah-specific class but the application can be sent by mail). Minnesota does not require you to immediately disclose to a LEO that you are carrying but does require that "[u]pon the request of a peace officer, a permit holder shall disclose to the officer whether or not the permit holder is currently carrying a firearm."
    Last edited by JimMullinsWVCDL; 05-01-2012 at 10:14 PM.
    James M. "Jim" Mullins, Jr., Esq.
    Admitted to practice in West Virginia and Florida.

Founder, Past President, Treasurer, and General Counsel, West Virginia Citizens Defense League, Inc.
    Life Member, NRA

Handgunlaw.us states MN is a not required to inform, which it is. So im not sure of that sites validity. Also be cautious when siting a phone app about state law. Personal research is the only way to be sure. I'll post more when I have time to look it up.
    Surprisingly when there is a change in a law in any state there has been an update, I do use other sources as well I do have multiple states downloaded from handgunlaw.us saved on my phone just to have multiple sources

Quote Originally Posted by JimMullinsWVCDL View Post
    Currently, only 15 states are on the recognition list, and Iowa is not one of them.
    Bummer. Thanks for the info.
    Eye95......
    I am not with you. If the particular way in which you choose to break the laws is to take up arms against the government, know that I will, at the moment, choose to stand on the government's side and take up arms against you."
    In reference to the March on DC.

The statements made in this post do not necessarily reflect the views of OCDO or its members.

My bad I looked at states Iowa recognises not states that honor Iowa permit . Sorry
    Last edited by tjkruck; 05-02-2012 at 10:43 AM.

You're only required to inform if asked, you are not required to inform otherwise.

Cite: 624.714 Subd. 1b. (d) Upon the request of a peace officer, a permit holder shall disclose to the officer whether or not the permit holder is currently carrying a firearm.

Sent from my EVO 4G
    Last edited by tletourneau; 05-05-2012 at 01:04 PM.
    Thanks,

Tom

----------------------------------
    Springfield XD-40 Service
    Taurus PT-111 Pro (3rd Gen)
    Desert Eagle .50AE Mark VII

You are correct sir. I wonder if other states require notification without being asked?? Seems that would be odd..." Hello officer, I'm packing"!

You are correct sir. I wonder if other states require notification without being asked?? Seems that would be odd..." Hello officer, I'm packing"!
    Alaska is a state where you must inform

Quote Originally Posted by tjkruck View Post
    Alaska is a state where you must inform
    And Ohio

Ok, so if one must inform in those states, how does that work. Does one have to approach every officer that he sees and inform him? I only ask because, as stated previously, MN is a required to inform when asked state. That makes sense. But if not asked...what? Forgive me if I'm being dense.

I think

I think what the law is referring to is that if approached/stopped legally you must notify the officer if you are carrying. Kinda like presenting the officer with your P2C along with your License and Insurance.

Ok, that makes sense.

Irish

Irish what part of MN are you from?

Bloomington, southern suburb of Minnesota. I am a city dweller that desperately wants to move to the country. Why?

Just curious

Just Curious. I'm new to the forums and I'mjust getting a feel for it and the people within it. I'm from Champlin and I feel your pain my friend. I work at the Ziebart off of 90th in Bloomington!

No problem. I have found that the people on this forum are very understanding of newbies. Also, there is a wealth of information. Having said that, I always try verify the information I find on here. I'm not willing to risk my freedoms on unintentional misinformation. Carry on.