• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

forfit the right to OC if I have a CPL?

fozzy71

I, at least, gave him the link to the actual law, ...

Not until after you first called him lazy.

:banghead:

Have you ever tried looking at the actual laws and seeing if there is an actual prohibition, or are you just going to take the word of random people for every important legal question in your life?

So then he called you a Dip **** and the thread really started to get good. :banana:

Try reading the post better D.S. She is a highly trained gun person. I guess I should have said the gun store owner. Make it simple for you. Not a random person. :idea:

stainless1911

Banned
He dindt know that he didnt know. All part of being a new-b. Thats different from being lazy.

If you put as much effort into helping as you do whatever it is that you do here, maybe the nature of the discussions would change a bit.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Is there something in the water, that's causing simple information exchanges to be peppered with insults and name calling? Whatever the cause, it needs to stop.

Post responsibly - discuss facts.

As to the OP, you have been shown the law, been given an accurate interpretation of it - the rest of it is up to you.

The lady/instructor in question is in this case wrong. I would go so far as to report what you claim is being taught to the certifying authority if she does not acknowledge the error and change the way she is instructing.

NHCGRPR45

I was at a local gun store in Muskegon and the lady told me that I forfit my right to OC because I have a CPL. What? Thats not true, right? Legal update 86 states that a valid CPL holder can OC (note: OC) in PFZ's. If I can OC in pistol free zones (she said thats not true either, if you dont believe me look up legal update 86) how do I forfit my right to OC. She is a highly trained gun person. How is it that she (and her husband) dont know any of this. Any info, comments?

Maybe not so much? Its is or at least was a common miss-conception, it happens I have been told this same thing from many people when I started OC'ing, cops CPL instructors. I suppose it comes from the name of the license itself "Concealed Pistol License" or "Concealed Carry Weapon" as its more commonly known. Its goes to assuming that "concealed" is the operable word I guess.

Bronson

I suppose it comes from the name of the license itself "Concealed Pistol License" or "Concealed Carry Weapon" as its more commonly known. Its goes to assuming that "concealed" is the operable word I guess.

I think it comes from this:

28.425c

(2) Subject to section 5o and except as otherwise provided by law, a license to carry a concealed pistol issued by the county concealed weapon licensing board authorizes the licensee to do all of the following:
(a) Carry a pistol concealed on or about his or her person anywhere in this state.

(b) Carry a pistol in a vehicle, whether concealed or not concealed, anywhere in this state.

I think people read that, don't internalize the meaning of the word "authorizes," and then go disseminate false information based on what they "read."

Bronson

backenj

To clarify

A few things. I am only a newbie to this discussion board, not to guns. I have only had my CPL for a few weeks. It is easier to transport and purchase new guns with it. The only reason I asked the question on here is because I knew that a CPL does not take away your right to OC. I was in there to look at a holster for a new gun I purchased. I wanted one the I can use for OC or CC. That's when she said the stuff about no OC with a CPL. I wasn't asking what the law was, just asking for confirmation. I thought maybe I misunderstood the law when she said that. MIB, you should relax a little bit and stop assuming I don't know anything, or didn't look myself what the law says. My words "that's not true, right".

Last edited:

PDinDetroit

Welcome to OCDO. Do not let this first thread bother you too much, things like this happen from time to time.

You are correct, she is incorrect, if you go back there you can simply print out MSP Legal Update #86 and hand it to her stating "thought you should know about this". Erasers make me learn, so maybe she will take a similar attitude.

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/msp/MSP_Legal_Update_No._86_2_336854_7.pdf\

Carry on!

Yooper

I think if the shop owner actually stopped, and thought about what she said, she'd realize that it doesn't make sense.
Is there any permit/license a person can get that RESTRICTS what they can do, beyond what they could do without such license? I can't think of any.

But then again.....it IS the government we're talking about....

Tucker6900

I understand what you were looking for.

But in the future, realize one thing. The shop owner may be a gun expert, but that doesnt mean she is an expert on gun laws. Just like a 2A lawyer may not be an expert on guns.

As already stated, there are alot of misconceptions about the firearm laws of Michigan when it comes to carrying. Generally, the place where you will get the most ignorance is, sadly, from law enforcement. Police officers have their own takes on what the law means, and it leads to unlawful harassment and detainment of legal open carriers. Its happened quite a few times in Michigan.

Please, please, please take the time to read Michigans firearm law in full. There is alot of information in there that will help you down the road. Then you will be armed with more than the ability to defend yourself physically, but lawfully as well.

Good luck. And be safe.

Last edited:

WilDChilD

I'd rather have him scared off, than have him sitting in jail because none of you told him to read the law or provided him a link to such.

8 minutes. Becuase none us gave him a link? Sorry I dont sit by the computer waiting to give advise. By the time I saw the post I didnt think answering his question would help because he wasnt coming back. If people shouldnt ask questions we should just post links to the laws and get rid of the forum. I dont know who ****** in your coffee but everybody should get a nice answer especially new people. I dont know if we have enough support to chase off new people.

Last edited by a moderator:

wrightme

I'd rather have him scared off, than have him sitting in jail because none of you told him to read the law or provided him a link to such.
You made the mistake of falsely assuming that he hadn't already read the law.
MiB said:
But hey, the good thing about the internet is that everyone is free to read or ignore, take or leave, anything and everything they see.
ETA: If he's scared off by that, what will happen when he has his first LEO encounter, with zero knowledge of the laws???

Once again....

Low post count means nothing as to whether he is aware of the laws or not.

stainless1911

Banned
A few things. I am only a newbie to this discussion board, not to guns. I have only had my CPL for a few weeks. It is easier to transport and purchase new guns with it. The only reason I asked the question on here is because I knew that a CPL does not take away your right to OC. I was in there to look at a holster for a new gun I purchased. I wanted one the I can use for OC or CC. That's when she said the stuff about no OC with a CPL. I wasn't asking what the law was, just asking for confirmation. I thought maybe I misunderstood the law when she said that. MIB, you should relax a little bit and stop assuming I don't know anything, or didn't look myself what the law says. My words "that's not true, right".

Im glad you came back. Many don't after such a rude greeting.

Zamis

I was at a local gun store in Muskegon and the lady told me that I forfit my right to OC because I have a CPL. What? Thats not true, right? Legal update 86 states that a valid CPL holder can OC (note: OC) in PFZ's. If I can OC in pistol free zones (she said thats not true either, if you dont believe me look up legal update 86) how do I forfit my right to OC. She is a highly trained gun person. How is it that she (and her husband) dont know any of this. Any info, comments?

Gary's Guns right?

She is always proclaiming that open carry is completely illegal as well. Ignore her. She is an idiot. So is Gary for that matter.

ManInBlack

You made the mistake of falsely assuming that he hadn't already read the law.

Once again....

Low post count means nothing as to whether he is aware of the laws or not.

A person who had read the laws wouldn't be wondering if he forfeits his right to OC by having a CPL, as there is clearly no prohibition. If he had read the laws, he most certainly wouldn't be coming here, asking a bunch of random people whether or not a gun store floozie's word supercedes state law.

Last edited:

WilDChilD

A person who had read the laws wouldn't be wondering if he forfeits his right to OC by having a CPL, as there is clearly no prohibition. If he had read the laws, he most certainly wouldn't be coming here, asking a bunch of random people whether or not a gun store floozie's word supercedes state law.

Did somebody hear something? Oh well.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Bottom line = it is a "permit" to carry concealed, not a mandate/requirement.

OC is an option that has not been removed.