• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

forfit the right to OC if I have a CPL?

wrightme

A person who had read the laws wouldn't be wondering if he forfeits his right to OC by having a CPL, as there is clearly no prohibition. If he had read the laws, he most certainly wouldn't be coming here, asking a bunch of random people whether or not a gun store floozie's word supercedes state law.

HE wasn't wondering. HE was asking if anyone else knew why the idiots at the gun store thought so.

I was at a local gun store in Muskegon and the lady told me that I forfit my right to OC because I have a CPL. What? Thats not true, right? Legal update 86 states that a valid CPL holder can OC (note: OC) in PFZ's. If I can OC in pistol free zones (she said thats not true either, if you dont believe me look up legal update 86) how do I forfit my right to OC. She is a highly trained gun person. How is it that she (and her husband) dont know any of this. Any info, comments?

HE wasn't unclear about the law, he wondered how SHE could be so uninformed or misinformed about the law.

Last edited:

backenj

Stainless. I deliver to businesses for work, so I deal with people like MIB all the time. It takes a lot more then an attitude like his to scare me off.
MIB. This is a discussion board right? A discussion board is full of random people talking and asking questions. That's what a discussion board is for, FYI.
It is very possible I was referring to Gary's. ; )

eamelhorn

My son and I were told this at our local sporting goods store, which happens to have an ex-LEO and a current LEO working there. We had just started OCing this year and we were talking about getting our CC with a worker at the store and he said, you forfiet your right to OC when you get your CC permit. I spoke up and said, NOT SO, I have been reading the laws and browsing opencarry.org and have not read that, he said lets ask him, the ex-LEO, and he walked off and would not get in on the conversation. If your gonna work in a gun store and dont know the laws, dont talk as if you do, you may be made to look real stupid. I wish it were not the only local sporting goods store close by, less than a mile away.

griffin

Ah sh!t. They gonna have Stainless on their a$$ now.
biggrin5.gif

NHCGRPR45

I think it comes from this:

28.425c

I think people read that, don't internalize the meaning of the word "authorizes," and then go disseminate false information based on what they "read."

Bronson

Agreed, its easy to make that common mistake. Even supposed "learned" LE's and lawyers have a hard time with it sometimes but usually, when explained in a calm factual way most come around to the truth, if only all things could be so simple?

A few things. I am only a newbie to this discussion board, not to guns. I have only had my CPL for a few weeks. It is easier to transport and purchase new guns with it. The only reason I asked the question on here is because I knew that a CPL does not take away your right to OC. I was in there to look at a holster for a new gun I purchased. I wanted one the I can use for OC or CC. That's when she said the stuff about no OC with a CPL. I wasn't asking what the law was, just asking for confirmation. I thought maybe I misunderstood the law when she said that. MIB, you should relax a little bit and stop assuming I don't know anything, or didn't look myself what the law says. My words "that's not true, right".

Welcome backenj, to OCDO and Open carry in general. MIB can be cantakerous, and rude. It is what it is, he assumes to much about people and that leads him to post the way he does. I unfortunately can be rude as well, however I can see it and apologise for it, and don't do try to be rude. Again welcome to OC in Michigan and hopefully we and I will see you at an event here in Michigan!

Also although everyone should do there own research when it comes to firearm law and law in general, sometimes the best way is to simply ask the opinion of the group. Its not lazy, nor is it a bad way to go and it can at least point you in the right direction to what you want to know and or find out. The resource of the OCDO community in MI ca not be understated our members have a pool of knowledge that can be of great help to those of us who have questions, are new or old to guns and gun laws and want to expand or confirm ideas.

Again feel welcome, and by all means ask questions!

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
A person who had read the laws wouldn't be wondering if he forfeits his right to OC by having a CPL, as there is clearly no prohibition. If he had read the laws, he most certainly wouldn't be coming here, asking a bunch of random people whether or not a gun store floozie's word supercedes state law.
Pardon me for sticking my nose in here, but I think you may have misunderstood the original post.

Based on the wording, I think the OP does understand the law. What he doesn't understand is how a licensed gun dealer can be so stupid about the law. At least, that's how I read his message. The key, to me is the last sentence in his post.

How is it that she (and her husband) dont know any of this. Any info, comments?