• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Seattle declares martial law, bans weapons

xxx.jakk.xxx

I honestly think that if you trot down a street in Seattle in the middle of a civil disturbance right now with an openly carried firearm, you just might be looking for a confrontation, and I honestly think you just might find one.

:)

Not that I'd be the one to go out there and risk the ass whooping form both the SPD and the Rioters, but shouldn't the intent not matter as long as you're lawful? I mean, whether I want confrontation or not, I shouldn't be bothered by any police for open carrying, even during "civil disturbance" seeing how the SMC that prohibits the carry of firearms goes directly against preemption. I guess expecting Seattle to follow the law is too much.

Also, if you meant confrontation with the rioters, well, looks like both groups that pose a threat to us in Seattle don't like following the laws. =\

Dave Workman

Not that I'd be the one to go out there and risk the ass whooping form both the SPD and the Rioters, but shouldn't the intent not matter as long as you're lawful? I mean, whether I want confrontation or not, I shouldn't be bothered by any police for open carrying, even during "civil disturbance" seeing how the SMC that prohibits the carry of firearms goes directly against preemption. I guess expecting Seattle to follow the law is too much.

Also, if you meant confrontation with the rioters, well, looks like both groups that pose a threat to us in Seattle don't like following the laws. =\

Well, this is why SAF forwarded the order to our attorney.
We'll see what he says.

Difdi

No, the right to bare arms relates to summer on the beach.
Nothing to do with government misconduct.

Depends on the government. If they can require us to buy health insurance, they can require us to wear long sleeves. Skin cancer costs money to treat, after all.

acmariner99

While yes the legality of this situation is pretty crazy and i don't see how it would not affect a LAC OCing in the affected area, the best thing to do is just avoid it or GTFO. Stating the obvious, but still.

Tawnos

While yes the legality of this situation is pretty crazy and i don't see how it would not affect a LAC OCing in the affected area, the best thing to do is just avoid it or GTFO. Stating the obvious, but still.

Honestly, until later in the day I had no idea this was all going on. If I had stuff I needed to do downtown, there's a chance I may have OC'd there not knowing about this stuff going on.

Of course, if the power exercised is considered "legitimate" by the courts, what's to stop him from conveniently forgetting to end the executive order?

Levi

Of course, if the power exercised is considered "legitimate" by the courts, what's to stop him from conveniently forgetting to end the executive order?

According to SMC, he has 48 hours to put it to the city council and they ratify or strike it down.

Flopsweat

I have more that once been handed a contract with an objectionable clause accompanied by a verbal promise that it would never be used against me. My response was the same in each case. I'd assume our fine mayor has had similar experiences. Surely he'll understand my skepticism, no? Of course, I'm pretty sure the contracts that I dealt with were not in violation of state and federal law...

amlevin

Unless anyone had actual business to conduct in downtown Seattle yesterday, why would they even consider going there. All that would be accomplished is to give the protesters what they want, a bigger crowd.

I'll watch on TV. If anything really important happens I'll get a better, and safer view. Also will be a lot warmer and drier.

I can think of a lot more things to do than go to an event like this, where trouble is/was anticipated and parade around Open Carrying. It just shouts "confrontation". Might be different if the event was a 2A related event rather than an Illegal Immigrant/OWS/Anarchist mish-mash.

sudden valley gunner

We're on it. Do NOT violate the mayor's order by openly carrying. You will be arrested, and the law enforcement officers will have qualified immunity despite Chan.

How about a suggestion that people do it at their own peril? You are in no position to command free people to do anything. Just saying.

ManInBlack

Unless anyone had actual business to conduct in downtown Seattle yesterday, why would they even consider going there. All that would be accomplished is to give the protesters what they want, a bigger crowd.

I'll watch on TV. If anything really important happens I'll get a better, and safer view. Also will be a lot warmer and drier.

I can think of a lot more things to do than go to an event like this, where trouble is/was anticipated and parade around Open Carrying. It just shouts "confrontation". Might be different if the event was a 2A related event rather than an Illegal Immigrant/OWS/Anarchist mish-mash.

So...again, what if someone lives down there, or has business to conduct, and does not have a CPL? Should he lose his right to armed self-defense simply because he happens to be within an arbitrarily-defined zone, even if he is streets away from actual problems?

You know, you sound just like the anti's with your ignorant, "parade around Open Carrying," "confrontation" BS. How about just going about one's daily life?

Last edited:

Gray Peterson

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
So...again, what if someone lives down there, or has business to conduct, and does not have a CPL? Should he lose his right to armed self-defense simply because he happens to be within an arbitrarily-defined zone, even if he is streets away from actual problems?

You know, you sound just like the anti's with your ignorant, "parade around Open Carrying," "confrontation" BS. How about just going about one's daily life?

A conviction for .270 will stick in this circumstance if one open carries in that zone.

Gray Peterson

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
How about a suggestion that people do it at their own peril? You are in no position to command free people to do anything. Just saying.

Considering postings here and on other forums suggesting the ability, paraphrasing that they can sue Seattle for monetary damages, that statement stands. Open carrying in that zone, especially in a form of "antagonizing" the occupy movement, will either potentially result in a charge under the SMC, or a .270 charge, more likely the latter. The conviction WILL stick.

ManInBlack

A conviction for .270 will stick in this circumstance if one open carries in that zone.

Well, that would be a constitutional violation, because it would leave someone without a CPL completely without the ability to legally bear arms.

I'm not advocating that anyone be a test case, but I would certainly contribute to the legal defense of someone kidnapped by McGinn's Militsiya for mere open carrying while conducting normal life.

ManInBlack

Considering postings here and on other forums suggesting the ability, paraphrasing that they can sue Seattle for monetary damages, that statement stands.

Not sure what you mean by this.

Open carrying in that zone, especially in a form of "antagonizing" the occupy movement,

Who said one word about carrying to antagonize anyone?

will either potentially result in a charge under the SMC,

You mean the preempted SMC, right?

or a .270 charge, more likely the latter. The conviction WILL stick.

We'll see. I doubt they can prove manifesting intent to cause alarm for simple open carry of a holstered handgun while engaged in normal business.

Tawnos

Which is, again, bullshiat and defeats the very wording of "The right of the individual citizen to bear arms in defense of himself ... shall not be impaired".

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
Many Cities through out Washington State have similar ordinances for Emergency Powers providing for restriction of firearms outside the homes to include sales during a declared emergency.

I was successful dealing with the city of Yakima Emergency Powers a few years ago, though they could seek the Governors direction and or action during this time.

One statement I made to them "why doing a time of real need for protection are you wanting to disarm the citizens of Yakima when they are trying to care for themselves and families? Besides the criminal and gangs are not going to abide by it anyways."

This would be a good time to take it to task and run it up the flag pole as the park issue in Seattle.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Arn't you the rebel. lol email...like they read 'em

I called the mayors office ..206-284-4000 and asked about firearms.

The lady said "anarchists" were roaming the streets with sticks. So I asked "do you need to declare martial law to deal with people with sticks and are you planning on trying to take away my guns?" she said no...had nothing to do with guns.

Such crap I have never heard.

people should post the mayor's home address and let those democrats, oh I mean "anarchists", to go over there..he's a 1%-er.