• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Don't leave your little friend at home

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
I'm not yet convinced that there is enough information in the article to support a condemnation of all of the participants as racists. Mob mentality is a powerful thing and can overwhelm even those who believe themselves "too intelligent" or "too civilized". Further, the comment you seem to be latching on to was reportedly uttered by one person, not a mantra repeated by even any subgroup of the whole mob.

And just in case anybody is not picking up on what I'm getting at:
§ 18.2-38. "Mob" defined.
Any collection of people, assembled for the purpose and with the intention of committing an assault or a battery upon any person or an act of violence as defined in § 19.2-297.1, without authority of law, shall be deemed a "mob."
(Code 1950, § 18.1-27; 1960, c. 358; 1975, cc. 14, 15; 1999, c. 623.)

stay safe.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
I beg to differ. That crowd was indeed racist. Their intent was payback for the incident in Florida as they even stated.

From the newspaper article you linked to:
The next day, Forster searched Twitter for mention of the attack.
One post chilled him.
"I feel for the white man who got beat up at the light," wrote one person.
"I don't," wrote another, indicating laughter. "(do it for trayvon martin)"
Trayvon Martin, an unarmed black teen, died after being shot by a community watch captain with white and Hispanic parents, George Zimmerman, in Florida.
Forster and Rostami, both white, suffered a beating at the hands of a crowd of black teenagers.
Was either case racially motivated? Were Forster and Rostami beaten in some kind of warped, vigilante retribution for a killing 750 miles away, a person none of them knew? Was it just bombast? Is a beating funny, ever?

Maybe my eyes are getting old and feeble, but that's the only reference to Trayvon Martin I could see in the article. And the reference is to a comment made on TWITTER, not something uttered at the scene of the incident. One person. On Twitter.

In lieu of an abject apology you may make a contribution to the VCDL legal defense costs discussed here http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...-on-VCDL-fails-but-at-a-cost-Donation-request .

stay safe.

Skeptic

Founder's Club Member
Leaving aside any potential motivations for the attack, one thing is clear, if the story is to be believed. The PD there considers such attacks so commonplace as to not merit investigation.

The Police department there not only won't protect you, they won't even care when you are attacked. One wonders if they would investigate if there was a killing involved. I mean what are they going to do, tell their parents? (a quote of the responding policeman from the story)

Even if that is a stretch, to is absolutely no stretch to say that most likely we would never have even heard of this story if the victims had not been employees of the newspaper. That is troublesome to me. The PD basically has declared it will do nothing when people are attacked by a mob, open season on potential victims.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
"Moderator deleted/edited--
Personal generalizations not supported by this article and deemed inappropriate under rule #6"

I beg to differ. That crowd was indeed racist. Their intent was payback for the incident in Florida as they even stated.

You assume entirely too much - nothing in the article supports that contention. One twitter reference from one person does not define "their intent."

A crowd/group having predominately similar features does not make them racists. What they say, the message that they deliver might, but no such conduct was evident. How we (users/posters on OCDO) respond may well brand us negatively and that cannot and will not be permitted. We must take the high road.

May I suggest that we throw water on bonfires, not gasoline. At the very least if the fire is small and not a danger, let it burn out quietly. There is no reason for us to become part of the problem.

Last edited: