• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hand on My Sidearm, All the Way to Denver! Strange Incident!

mahkagari

The Spanish speakers will appreciate this

Don't need to speak Spanish to appreciate the lesson of a femme fatale. A sweep's a good idea.

My atrocious Spanish isn't the reason I can't appreciate Norteño or its German oom pah pah polka ancestor. Unless the latter is used to make videos like this:

[video=youtube;zA2vPX-CWSE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zA2vPX-CWSE[/video].

Last edited:

ncwabbit

thanks skidmark, you articulated what i was thinking when i read M-Taliesin's post...i am still shaking my head in amazement over your lack of street smarts which leaves a bit to be desired...sorry, picking up a strange female in aurora late at night was bad enough but to let them into your vehicle and then drive them to the shelters located off of 21st and broadway area at that time of night is beyond unbelievable!!

Did you even contimplate what would you have done if they refused to get out ?

M-Taliesin...have you thought or even think you might have been or have been accused of sexual misconduct w/this female? especially, based on your line of work, could be retribution for your activities w/their lover/partner.

and the point of having your hand on your sidearm...who cares...the individual was right next to you...way too close IMO...

suggestion...next time roll your window partially down and then call for assistance from 911!!

glad your adventure ended safely, but truly hope you realize you were very very lucky it did

wabbit

ManInBlack

suggestion...next time roll your window partially down and then call for assistance from 911!!

Or, next time roll with your doors locked and when strange, sketchy street people approach, just drive away....

Seriously amazed....

HandyHamlet

Hmmm, black curly hair, kind of long.... Not black, not white. Upset. Blue outfit. Running in the street while frantically waving arms. Cops.

Mystery solved.

[video=youtube;Z4v1vwlZ0iQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4v1vwlZ0iQ[/video]

Last edited:

M-Taliesin

thanks skidmark, you articulated what i was thinking when i read M-Taliesin's post...i am still shaking my head in amazement over your lack of street smarts which leaves a bit to be desired...sorry, picking up a strange female in aurora late at night was bad enough but to let them into your vehicle and then drive them to the shelters located off of 21st and broadway area at that time of night is beyond unbelievable!!

wabbit

Howdy Rabbit!
Point taken on many of your arguments. Meanwhile, I saw a woman running the the street looking like she was in panic mode. I stopped as I always do when I see somebody in trouble. Other Coloradoans have helped me in times of trouble, and I do likewise. Kinda of an old school thing that you don't see much these days, especially in cities.

My immediate concern was that she didn't get hit by a car. Being as dark as it was, with the traffic on that stretch moving pretty quick, I'd have hated to let it go and hear later that some woman got hit by a motorist and maybe killed because I didn't do what I did. Or that a motorist was up for vehicular homicide because they had a beer before heading home that night and hit her. Or that her life was in peril from an assailant and because I did nothing, cops were hoping for information because they had no leads.

Yep. I could have handled it better, but didn't think through anything except the immediate observation. Getting her safely out of the immediate possibility of harm was my only thought at the first blush. Once she was in my car, I had better opportunity to evaluate the situation and decided to get her close to where she wanted to go and unload her as quickly as possible. As for firing a shot, you're right. Too close. But a handgun can be used in other defensive ways.

As for possible 'other' complications, that's why I contacted APD to make a report. Let them know what took place.

Given the scenario, and a bit of time to think through options, I'd likely have done some things differently. Give the situation as it unfolded, I did what I did to protect her along with other citizens who might have gotten hosed by accident.

Could I have handled the situation better? You betcha. But it unfolded pretty quick and I hadn't planned on anything unusual that evening.
Oddly enough, when detecting late a night, I am routinely unarmed. I spend much more energy being wary of my surroundings and anybody in the vicinity because it is pretty easy to get snuck up upon when wearing headphones and focused on trying to find gold or silver with a detector. I didn't have my partner with me, so I was able to drop my awareness level (so I figured) once I was back in the relative safety of my car.

I can understand, even appreciate, the criticism involved here. But I've lived a long time in Colorado, and it is still something folks do... stop to help others in trouble. Folks have done so for me, and I often do so for others.

On another note, had I done nothing and learned later that she'd been running for her life from an attacker, I'd have trouble accepting that I did nothing. Given the split second decisions I made, I made my choices, right or wrong and accept that I may have chosen unwisely. Things turned out alright, and she left my vehicle unharmed and relatively safe. I, myself, felt relatively safe. I can read the paper this morning confident that I won't see where the cops are investigating what happened to that woman they found stuffed in a dumpster or some other horrid outcome and feel it is to some extent because I did nothing. Or that some innocent driver was going to be jailed for hitting a woman he didn't see running on a busy thoroughfare in the dark.

So I understand and appreciate the criticism I'm getting here. It isn't undeserved, and I accept that.
After all, am I my brother's keeper?

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

M-Taliesin

M-Taliesin-

Did you do a complete clean and sweep on the passenger side, who knows what she might have dropped. It would be a real BUMMER if you were standing up for your rights at a traffic stop and they brought in the sniffer dog and found a crum of crack or meth under the floor mat or in the crack between the seat and back :uhoh:

Howdy Pard!
Oh, yeah!!! Because of Gator, we keep a towel on the passenger seat. Gonna have that washed real good. And I've searched the car carefully more than once. Somewhere along the line, I lost my Garrett Pro-pointer handheld probe and would really love to find it, so I've looked hard in the Jeep. It got misplaced when we traded in the Subaru for the Jeep. I know it made the trip from vehicle to vehicle, but just precisely where eludes me.

But if you think about it, this is a newly purchased vehicle. Any meth or crack that might be detected by a sniffer dog could have been there when I bought the car to start with. How many of us do that sort of sweep when buying a used car? I never have before. I don't think most others do either. We just sorta accept they detailed the thing and nothing untoward would be in the car we buy. For that matter, a new car may have been test-driven and the same situation could exist. How would any of us know?

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

M-Taliesin

She obviously took one look at your Expensive Stetson and leather jacket, and knew you were a Real Professional she could trust.

Howdy KBC!
Yeah... that's the answer!
What eyes too! Seeing all that beyond the glare of my headlights at a range of 100 yards on the approach!
Amazing visual acquity!

Oh, wait... I was wearing a ball cap, faded jeans and a tee shirt.
Maybe it was my avatar photo?

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

Last edited:

ManInBlack

Well I am NOT a mexekin and I DON'T appreciate crappy salsa music.

LOL!

"Yep, it's those gosh-darned illiterate "mexekin" foreigners comin' over here and stealin' my job! Pass me another beer, Cletus!"

This will probably better suit your tastes and intellect:
[video=youtube_share;1tqxzWdKKu8]http://youtu.be/1tqxzWdKKu8[/video]

mahkagari

Well I am NOT a mexekin and I DON'T appreciate crappy salsa music.

Since the posted video is Norteño and not salsa and the band Los Tigres del Norte is based out of San José, California and this song in particular is about a San Antonio, Texas native, I'm reading this to say you're a fan? How on the gods' green earth can you like Norteño and not salsa?? Next you'll tell me you like it over reggaetón or cumbia!

But then, I'm a big ol' American country western fan so many would say my tastes are skewed as it is. I'd call Norteño the country music the Spanish music world. It's even got the 2/4 beat but at least American country doesn't have friggin' accordions.

I've yet to find a good crossover artist out of Mexico that's not Norteño. Tejano doesn't count, IMO. Nelly Furtado is Portuguese whose parents are from Azores by way of Canada and Daddy Yankee is Puerto Rican. Gerardo is Ecuadorian. Okay, he's not good, but he was on the pop charts.

mahkagari

Any meth or crack that might be detected by a sniffer dog could have been there when I bought the car to start with. How many of us do that sort of sweep when buying a used car? I never have before. I don't think most others do either.

I heard of a friend of a friend who took a car in to have a taillight circuit worked on and the mechanics found a kilo brick of MJ in the body. The garage called the police, but it was obviously several years old from before the person had bought the car.

decklin

I really hate to jump on the bandwagon since so many people have already said this but this is exactly why I lock my doors.
When I get in my car the doors get locked, then I start the car and put it in gear/take off the e-brake, then I put on my seatbelt. This way I am ready to drive away if somebody tries something while I'm still sitting in the parking space. I watched my mother do this exact routine every day of my life and I guess it stuck.
It also helps to prevent someone from just hopping in my car.

That being said I think you made the right decision to stop and see what was going on.

M-Taliesin

I heard of a friend of a friend who took a car in to have a taillight circuit worked on and the mechanics found a kilo brick of MJ in the body. The garage called the police, but it was obviously several years old from before the person had bought the car.

Howdy Mahkagari!
I know I specified used cars as possibly having left-overs that might lead to trouble with a dope snortin' dog finding it in your vehicle, but I wouldn't think brand new cars would be immune either. Who knows who took the last test drive of that vehicle? They may have left surprises behind. Or folks at the factory might have left a little something extra during the build or afterward.

Point being, any car could have some sniffer dog issues that the owner would have no idea about... until a sniffer dog went on point.
How many folks have gotten into our car, strangers, people we don't actually know, and with our blessings?
Mechanics? People at the Oil Change spot? People to whom we've offered a ride? Dear Aun't Matilda? Car wash folks who got in to vaccuum? There may be a whole herd of other possibilities, any of whom may have left a pipe bomb of the bongular type.

But in a case such as mine, that's a step up to check extra special closely!

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

Logan 5

Since the posted video is Norteño and not salsa and the band Los Tigres del Norte is based out of San José, California and this song in particular is about a San Antonio, Texas native, I'm reading this to say you're a fan? How on the gods' green earth can you like Norteño and not salsa?? Next you'll tell me you like it over reggaetón or cumbia!

But then, I'm a big ol' American country western fan so many would say my tastes are skewed as it is. I'd call Norteño the country music the Spanish music world. It's even got the 2/4 beat but at least American country doesn't have friggin' accordions.

I've yet to find a good crossover artist out of Mexico that's not Norteño. Tejano doesn't count, IMO. Nelly Furtado is Portuguese whose parents are from Azores by way of Canada and Daddy Yankee is Puerto Rican. Gerardo is Ecuadorian. Okay, he's not good, but he was on the pop charts.

Amazing some of the people that can actually get their names on the charts. Can't be based on skill, sometimes. Lord knows what.
I dunno about the "mexekin" comment, but the music was good. I wish I knew what they were saying. Por favor, mi poceto espanoil.
Taaaaco....
Buuuurrreeetto....
JOSE' CUERVO! WOO HOO! :banana:

mahkagari

Amazing some of the people that can actually get their names on the charts. Can't be based on skill, sometimes. Lord knows what.

I always think about Huey Lewis' father's comment. Huey told his Dad that he was so proud of getting a top ten release. His Dad said, "It must not be very good if everyone likes it."

I dunno about the "mexekin" comment, but the music was good. I wish I knew what they were saying.

I'm sticking by my anti-Norteño comments but:

Typed "contrabando" into a Google search box and "contrabando y traicion lyrics" autofilled.
First link was: http://www.lyriczz.com/lyrics/los-tigres-del-norte/21412-contrabando-y-traicion/

Salierón de San Isidro,
procedentes de Tijuana
traían las llantas del carro
repletas de hierba mala
eran Emilio Varela,
y Camelia, la Texana

Pasaron por San Clemente
los paró la emigración
les pidió sus documentos
les dijó: "¿De donde son?"
ella era de San Antonio,
un hembra de corazón

Un hembra si quiere un hombre
por el puede dar la vida
pero hay que tener cuidado
si esa hembra se siente herida,
la traición y el contrabando
son cosas incompartidas.

A Los Angeles llegarón
en un callejón oscuro
las cuatro llantas cambiarón
ahí entregarón la hierba,
y ahí también les pagarón

Emilio dice a Camelia
"Hoy te das por despedida,
con la parte que te toca,
tu puedes rezar tu vida
yo me voy para San Francisco
con la dueña de mi vida"

Sonarón siete balazos,
Camelia a Emilio mataba
en un callejón oscuro
sin que se supiera nada

Del dinero y de Camelia
Nunca más se supo nada.

Pasting into translate.google.com gives you:

They left San Isidro,
from Tijuana
brought the car tires
full of weeds
were Emilio Varela,
and Camelia the Texan

They passed San Clemente
the migration stopped
asked for their documents
said to them: "Where are they?"
she was from San Antonio,
a female heart

A female if you want a man
for life can
but beware
if the female is hurt,
treason and smuggling
are things incompartidas.

A Los Angeles arrived
in a dark alley
changed all four tires
delivered there the grass,
and there also were paid

Emilio tells Camelia
"Today you give farewell
with the part that touches you,
you can pray your life
I'm going to San Francisco
with the owner of my life "

Seven bullets rang out,
Camelia killed Emilio
in a dark alley
no one knew anything

Money and Camelia
Never heard anything.

JOSE' CUERVO! WOO HOO! :banana:

Bah, philistine. A la chingada with José Cuervo. Get some Herradura. And SIP it!

Last edited:

ManInBlack

Here is another translation:
They left San Isidro, coming
from Tijuana,
They had their car tires full of
"bad grass," (marijuana)
They were Emilio Varela and
Camelia the Texan.

Passing through San Clemente,
they were stopped by
Immigration.
He asked for their documents,
he said, "Where are you from?"
She was from San Antonio,
a woman with a lot of heart.

A woman so loves a man that
she can give her life for him.
But watch out if that woman
feels wounded,
Betrayal and smuggling do not
mix.

They arrived in Los Angeles,
they went to Hollywood.
In a dark alley they changed
the tires.
There they delivered the grass,
and there also they were paid.

Emilio says to Camelia, "Today
is your farewell,
With your share you can make a
new life.
I am going to San Francisco
with the mistress of my life."

Seven shots rang out, Camelia
killed Emilio.
All the police found was the
discarded pistol
Of Camelia and the money
nothing more was ever known.

http://www.arlindo-correia.com/080604.html

I agree; comments like "mexekin" and some of the others we read on this forum are unhelpful. We can't always blame the antis for stereotyping us as dumb, racist, rednecks when we shoot ourselves in the foot like that.

M-Taliesin

Don't get money around women.

Howdy Logan!
It ain't just women either.
I just got my emissions test on the recently purchased Jeep Liberty, then paid for license plates after it passed.
About $200 bucks on the morning.
I felt robbed... and I was armed no less and still got waylaid!

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

F350

Howdy Logan!
It ain't just women either.
I just got my emissions test on the recently purchased Jeep Liberty, then paid for license plates after it passed.
About $200 bucks on the morning.
I felt robbed... and I was armed no less and still got waylaid!

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

Another good reason to live on the western slope..... I doubt the F350 would pass Denver standards.