• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Exercising in a public park while armed = "Suspicious"

Fallschirjmäger

While one person in a park may be "suspicious" it was apparent that close to a dozen openly armed citizens having a good lunch at Quizno's was just "another bunch of guys getting lunch." Booger King lost a hundred dollars or so and Quizno's retains the 'Best Lunch' crown.
20120515_120127.jpg

Burger King discriminated against people based on nothing more than the way they were dressed.

20120515_125755.jpg

Quiznos....mmmmm TOASTY!! - Didn't discriminate, had better food, and made money.

Last edited:

Medic1210

What did BK do? Did they ask you to leave when you arrived or did they have a sign posted? If they asked you to leave, had anybody placed their order prior to being asked to leave?

Fallschirjmäger

The guard at BK stopped the first person of the group that entered, and everyone politely waited while the manager was invited. He said that his rules (that BK is a franchise) were only concealed weapons could be allowed 'because of the clientele'. As no one wished to change their mode of dress, we went to Quizno's where an even better lunch was to be had.
Never a more politely behaved bunch of desperadoes.

Medic1210

The guard at BK stopped the first person of the group that entered, and everyone politely waited while the manager was invited. He said that his rules (that BK is a franchise) were only concealed weapons could be allowed 'because of the clientele'. As no one wished to change their mode of dress, we went to Quizno's where an even better lunch was to be had.
Never a more politely behaved bunch of desperadoes.

Your BK has a guard?!? Is he armed?

Fallschirjmäger

Well, mine doesn't, but apparently the clientele at the Five Points MARTA station is a bit.... aww hell, then need security there, I guess.

I was on the left, so I don't know if he was armed or not, but I think he was. He also looked like they paid in cheeseburgers..and I'm hardly one to talk that way about others.

Last edited:

MKEgal

Fallschirmjäger said:
The guard at BK ...
... only concealed weapons could be allowed 'because of the clientele'.
So lemmie get this straight:
they're worried about their customers being generally stupid & lawless,
so they've hired a guard,
& they're worried about their customers being stupid & lawless enough to attack someone openly carrying,
so they only allow concealed carry?
Not a place I'd want to be, armed or not.

Never a more politely behaved bunch of desperados.
LOL! :lol:

AAriondo

Well I guess I wont be walking in that park anytime soon.
But maybe I will see you around town sometime Falls

badey

Your Story Made it on Armed American Radio!

Just wanted to let you know that this incident made it onto the 3rd hour of Armed American Radio this past week. It is on Itunes in the form of a podcast. The host, Mark Walters, completely supported you, and talked some smack about the mayor (who made some dumb comments about the case).

Here is a link to the audio on the AAR page.

http://armedamericanradio.org/aar-post-board/

Fallschirjmäger

I'm not even going to complain that they got the name mispronounced, no one ever gets it right the first time unless their Germanic.
The family pronounces it Prōsh'er (as in "pro+sure" with a long O)

Last edited:

Fallschirjmäger

Chris,

The criminal case has been “nol prossed,” meaning the case against you has been dropped. It’s off the calendar and you do not have to go to court Thursday or next week (or ever).

John Monroe

The civil suit naming Hanna, Bell and Dantzler is still going forward of course.

Fallschirjmäger

A monetary offer was made on behalf of Plaza Security and its employee Reid Hanna to drop Mr. Hanna from the civil suit. Said offer was accepted with a conventionality agreement of a small penalty to be paid should the details be released to third-parties without permission.

The civil suit against Officers Adam G. Bell and Rodney Dantzler is still proceeding.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Congrats on the case being dropped!

I dunno, I always argue against a nol of a case. It does not dispose of the case, it just removes it from the docket. The DA can re-file anytime.

Every-time I had objected to a nol, the case was dismissed voluntarily with prejudice ...

A nol is a favorable outcome but not a permanent outcome until the SOL runs out. Have trouble again and it will be re-filed.

Fallschirjmäger

The County Solicitor's opinion was that there was "insufficient evidence to prove guilt beyond a reasonable doubt" and unless additional evidence surfaces (unlikely) that shouldn't change.
Subsequent to that opinion and in light of the recent depositions of Reid Hanna, Adam Bell, and Rodney Dantzler, the only evidence is that my conduct was strictly in accordance with the law and Gary Pirkle Park rules.
Nolle Proequi document available HERE I'm particularly pleased to note the Solicitor's hand-written notation. I believe it's indicative of the Solicitor recognizing WHY the incident occurred in the first place.

Last edited:

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
The County Solicitor's opinion was that there was "insufficient evidence to prove guilt beyond a reasonable doubt" and unless additional evidence surfaces (unlikely) that shouldn't change.
Subsequent to that opinion and in light of the recent depositions of Reid Hanna, Adam Bell, and Rodney Dantzler, the only evidence is that my conduct was strictly in accordance with the law and Gary Pirkle Park rules.
Nolle Proequi document available HERE I'm particularly pleased to note the Solicitor's hand-written notation. I believe it's indicative of the Solicitor recognizing WHY the incident occurred in the first place.
Did they confiscate your weapon? If they did, did you get it back?

Fallschirjmäger

Did they confiscate your weapon? If they did, did you get it back?
It was seized immediately upon being detained by Officer Adam Bell, and then searched without my permission by Officer Rodney Dantzler. Confiscation officially occurred during the course of the arrest for "safe keeping".

I had to make two separate trips to retrieve my pistol and ammunition; apparently the Gwinett County police department is under the impression that people intent on nefarious deeds aren't capable of thinking ahead and bringing ammunition with them when they go to pick up firearms held for safe-keeping. One good thing came of it though, since I didn't immediately see the magazines included with the pistol and thinking they were with the ammunition, I went ahead and got two new magazines (something I had been planning on, but putting off.)

The settlement check arrived yesterday, I'll be putting a few dollars into getting the car repaired, some plumbing done, a new pair of shoes, and that new FN SCAR I've had my eye on is now easily affordable.

Last edited:

Fallschirjmäger

An offer to remove Plaza Security's employee Reid Hanna from the civil suit has been made and accepted. As part of the agreement, the exact nature of the payment must remain confidential upon a $100.oo penalty.

Now that it is part of discovery and the Gwinnett County defense attorney's are in possession, I can't see any reason not to release the audio of the incident.
(Note that the audio file is too large for Google Drive to check it for viruses, but it should offer the ability to download. File size should be just over 48k.)

AUDIO- Gary Pirkle Park 20APR12 (excluding first 20 minutes of heavy breathing).MP3

Last edited: