• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Exercising in a public park while armed = "Suspicious"

infected

I'd be great if we could get a large group of guys to legally open carry at the park as a group, just as an awareness thing. I'm right around the corner from that park, and have already sent a respectful but pointed email to the city council about the matter before I even saw this post (I found out about this on AJC.com).

Fallschirjmäger

Being in any way 'confrontational' or 'in your face' is possibly not the way to go at this time.
That is NOT to say that individuals shouldn't exercise their right to walk freely in public, or even undertake moderate exercise with friends.

carsontech

Activist Member
At least they didn't tell you to disarm when you were on your own property this time. :D

I hope you're able to get compensation for the violations of your rights. You smell that? It smells like victory. :monkey

Last edited:

sudden valley gunner

I recommend taking a pocket knife sheath, magazine carrier, or whatever your favorite method of carrying the recorder with you to the store and trying various models to see if they fit. I had a recorder once that fit perfectly in a magazine carrier... wish I knew where it was now.

Good suggestion, I bought an Olympus 8000 on the recommendation from a user in our state, and took string line (we use it all the time to make sure things are straight in construction) and made mine into a necklace I wear inside my shirt.

xd shooter

An interesting read from another thread,

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?94943-Recording-quot-public-officials-quot

Gives this link, http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=8408&d=1336088853

And I quote,

(“[T]he First Amendment protects a significant amount of verbal criticism and challenge directed at police officers.”); Norwell v. City of Cincinnati, Ohio, 414 U.S. 14, 16 (1973) (“Surely, one is not to be punished for nonprovocatively voicing his objection to what he obviously felt was a highly questionable detention by a police officer.”)

Given the "being Rude" to the nice officer, or even the mall cop comments made, I thought it may be relevant... :)

aadvark

Fallschirmjäger:

Additionally, The Governor of The State of Georgia, Nathan Deal, has Signed into Law Georgia Code 16-11-136.

Georgia Code 16-11-136, under Senate Bill 432, Preempts Knife Regulation to The State of Georgia.

Therefore, Gwinnett County, as of July. 1, 2012, will NO LONGER be able to Regulate Knives in Their Parks either.

Their Current Ordinance DOES Regulate Knives, BUT, Effective July. 1, 2012, This Regulation will be: Invalid, Null, and Void.

The Law is Viewable here: http://www.legis.ga.gov/Legislation/en-US/display/20112012/SB/432

aadvark

Dogbait

Has anyone downloaded the case documents from PACER and is able to post them? I figured I would ask, before downloading them myself, to save document access costs....

Last edited:

Fallschirjmäger

The civil suit has been filed and as a public document will be posted.
The statements of the three involved officers are available and will be posted in the next day or so.
The security guard's statement is subject to discovery as charges have not been preferred/dropped.

Medic1210

Good luck. Can't wait to see how this turns out. Also can't wait to hear the recording of events that may or may not have been taken with the recorder you may or may not have been carrying at the time.

Baked on Grease

Loved the "I'm not driving" response, can't wait to hear them backpedal when the recording shows them detaining without RAS in the first 5 seconds of the encounter.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk 2

Fallschirjmäger

Loved the "I'm not driving" response, can't wait to hear them backpedal when the recording shows them detaining without RAS in the first 5 seconds of the encounter.
Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk 2
Grease, I am shocked and disappointed that you would rush to judgement about the conduct of a fine officer such as Adam Bell like that.
It actually took a minute and twelve seconds to detain.

30m:00s Arrival of GCPD, elapsed time: 9m:37s
CAP: Okay. Damn that guy’s got legs. (Referring to the arrival of an officer driving a police pickup truck with a bicycle on the back.
Bell: I worked really hard for that.
Bell: How’s everything
Hanna: Pretty good, how are you doing?
Cap: ‘Morning.
(Voice on phone) “This is Sam.”
Cap: Hey Sam, this is Chris. Is there a prohibition against legally carried firearms, um uh, in parks?
Sam: We don’t, we don’t, Allow firearms in parks.
Bell: (to Hanna) What’s going on?
Hanna: (to Bell) He’s on the phone with parks staff…
Cap: Is there a prohibition? Yes, in light of the court decision about two years ago, where all the parks lost that? Note: OCGA 16-11-173
Sam (unintelligible, but mentions an “Andy”)
Cap: Okay, What’s Andy’s last name, is it something weird?
Sam: M(________)
Cap: That’d be the weird name, yeah.
Bell: Hey, sir, I need you to get off the phone, you can call them back.
Cap: (to Sam) I’ve got to go, I’m being detained by Officer Bell.
CAP: (To Bell) Am I being detained?
Bell: Do you have any I.D. on you?
CAP: Am I being detained?
31m:12s … 1m:12s after contact by Ofc Bell
Bell: What’s that? Yeah, you’re being detained. Do you have any ID on you?
Cap: um, no. (A truthful and unequivocal answer. My driving license stays in the visor of my car where it’s always there since I have several times left home, late, without finding my wallet.)
Bell: Come on over here. (Leads across the bridge to his vehicle) Wait by my patrol car.
CAP: Certainly.
CAP: Am I required to have identification on me, Officer Bell?
32m:33s
Bell: If you’re going to be carrying a gun in the open, yeah.

... At least that's my recollection of events, to the best of my recollection, that I recall, ... errrr.....

Last edited:

Deanimator

Good suggestion, I bought an Olympus 8000 on the recommendation from a user in our state, and took string line (we use it all the time to make sure things are straight in construction) and made mine into a necklace I wear inside my shirt.
Prior to getting an Android phone and downloading Cop Recorder II, I used a Sansa C250 MP3 player which is also an excellent voice recorder. One of its added benefits is that it's quite small. I hang it from a belt loop using a lanyard and a miniature carabiner. It looks just like a miniature MP3 player. I doubt most people would give any thought to it being a recorder.

F350

MKEgal

Bobarino said:
The attitudes are telling, troubling and disgusting. I used to buy the "few bad apples" theory.
Now I assume they are the bad ones right off the bat.
I used to believe in the FBA theory myself.
Then I met someone who has been LEO of various flavors for many years, from working on the street through being chief of police & now working for HS. He told me that at least half of all the cops he knew fit the description of "bullied in grade school & never got over it".
Those are the ones who abuse the powers they are lent to do their jobs. Add to them the ones who are afraid (for whatever reason) to stop those bullies, & instead of a few bad apples we now have a few good apples.
It's sad. :uhoh:

From comments on the policeone.com article:
"take the person aside and school them on proper etiquette towards an LE"
Talk about attitude!

"LE's are trained to "persuade" contacts into ID and search consents"
Finally, an admission.

"Why does it seem that everyone who open carries has to be an a**hole? If they were just calm, didn't film the whole thing, answer some simple identifying questions about who they are, they would be free to go."
Why is it so many cops have to be jerks toward citizens? If they just followed the law, didn't infringe our rights, they wouldn't get sued.

"You can not tell if someone has a permit just by looking at him. That gives cause for the contact"
Another one of those that hasn't read or understood the Constitution. Insert "going to church" for "carrying a pistol" & see how ludicrous it sounds.

"people like this that think because they have a permit, they are now above the law when it comes to cooperation with an investigation."
People like this that think because they have a badge, they are now above the law.

"always treat an officer with the respect he deserves"
Problem is, some officers who are jerks get upset when they get the respect they deserve.

There are a surprising number of commenters (who have to all be LEO) backing the citizen & others who carry, even OC: buzzard60, t11spanner, polfstsgt, 3102, grumpyolbuzzard.

"Law enforcement needs to ignore these people if your state has an open carry law. Don't even ask them for the time of day."

"Whether or not you agree with the individual's actions, he wasn't doing anything illegal. People are supposed to be able to go about their business, and the burden of proof is on law enforcement."

"The growing attitude among Badge toters is that the "peasants" need to kowtow before them or they "fail the attitude test" is why so many citizens do not like or trust police."
(Where's the "applauding" smiley?)

Last edited: