Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: Dan Hawes...

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    1,182

    Dan Hawes...

    Since this involves another person (and one who does not visit this site), I am not going to post details.... but Dan Hawes is THE MAN when it comes to legal defense in Virginia! If you do not have his card in your wallet, you should. If you do not have his number saved in your phone.... do it today.

    Thanks Dan!

    (And to keep this OC related... I'm Open Carrying in my living room right now as I type this! )

  2. #2
    Herr Heckler Koch
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Blk97F150 View Post
    Since this involves another person (and one who does not visit this site)
    I do not believe that is true, but we need to ask user user.

  3. #3
    Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13,580
    Quote Originally Posted by Blk97F150 View Post
    Since this involves another person (and one who does not visit this site), I am not going to post details.... but Dan Hawes is THE MAN when it comes to legal defense in Virginia! If you do not have his card in your wallet, you should. If you do not have his number saved in your phone.... do it today.

    Thanks Dan!

    (And to keep this OC related... I'm Open Carrying in my living room right now as I type this! )
    Just the name makes it OC OK

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    1,182
    Quote Originally Posted by Blk97F150 View Post
    Since this involves another person (and one who does not visit this site)
    Quote Originally Posted by Herr Heckler Koch View Post
    I do not believe that is true, but we need to ask user user.
    At the risk of this coming across the wrong way... I don't care what you believe or don't believe. What I typed was 100% accurate, and you can 'ask' anyone you want. I suspect though, that other then perhaps confirming that what I said was the absolute truth.... User won't post much about it. Unlike some, he has this thing called 'integrity'.

  5. #5
    Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13,580
    Quote Originally Posted by Blk97F150 View Post
    At the risk of this coming across the wrong way... I don't care what you believe or don't believe.
    Be kind BLK...Radiation from that Submarine has swelled his IQ and made him an enemy of mankind! He can't help it.
    Last edited by peter nap; 05-03-2012 at 08:57 AM.

  6. #6
    Regular Member sawah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    437
    I'll have to avail myself of Dan's services if I ever have a problem. Oh, and to be OT, I'm OC-ing sitting on the john drinking my coffee. (the lid is down, I'm just using the bathroom to hide out from sleeping roommates, lol.
    A firearm is a tool of convenience, not effectiveness - Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

  7. #7
    Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13,580
    Quote Originally Posted by sawah View Post
    I'll have to avail myself of Dan's services if I ever have a problem. Oh, and to be OT, I'm OC-ing sitting on the john drinking my coffee. (the lid is down, I'm just using the bathroom to hide out from sleeping roommates, lol.
    If you haven't met him Sawah, why don't you come to dinner Tuesday? He'll be there.

    There is a very elite group of people that get things done without any chest beating or self promotion. Grapeshot, Skidmark and Dan are the first three that come to mind that will be at dinner, although there are others.

    These are the real power in this world and very few people ever realize it. Things just happen!

    If you get some time to talk to Dan you won't regret it.

  8. #8
    Campaign Veteran T Dubya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Richmond, Va, ,
    Posts
    892
    I have met Dan once, only to shake his hand and thank him. I contributed (wish I could have done more) when Dan defended Skid; another one that deserves our thanks.
    Reading Dan's advice on Vaguntrader.com about preparing for a defense has me thinking.

    Dan:
    I generally tell firearms owners who carry regularly and are prepared to defend themselves, their homes, and their families, that they need their own "legal defense fund" in case of emergencies.
    Snip
    I usually say that a person ought to have about six thousand dollars
    I don't have that kind of money and I know there are others in the same situation as me. What we do when someone is in a jam is outstanding, and I want to do more, but I'm not Ed, or Phillip and I don't have those kind of organization skills and connections to make it happen. I want to see a collective legal defense fund that we all create and we all contribute too. If we raised the fee for VCDL membership by $5.00 and used that money and put it in an account for the sole purpose of the legal defense fund then that would be a good start. The Executive members like ED, Dale, etcetera could control and decide if they want to help someone out that is in a jam.

    Think about it, in all likelihood most of us are not going to have to ever defend ourselves and won't need it. VCDL has the power, the juice and the motivation to take it to the next level.


    http://www.vaguntrader.com/forums/ub...rge#Post239900

    http://www.VirginiaLegalDefense.com/
    Last edited by T Dubya; 05-03-2012 at 10:01 AM. Reason: add links
    "These are the shock troops (opencarry.org) of the gun lobby. And, they are not going away."
    Ceasefire NJ Director Brian Miller, NJ.com, August 20, 2009

  9. #9
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,602
    Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    If you haven't met him Sawah, why don't you come to dinner Tuesday? He'll be there.

    --snip--
    Dinner link: http://tinyurl.com/7hl2995
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    1,182
    Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    Be kind BLK...Radiation from that Submarine has swelled his IQ and made him an enemy of mankind! He can't help it.
    That was my 'kind' voice.... you should have seen what I originally typed, and then self edited, before I hit Post!!

  11. #11
    Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13,580
    Quote Originally Posted by Blk97F150 View Post
    That was my 'kind' voice.... you should have seen what I originally typed, and then self edited, before I hit Post!!
    Been there, done that. Backspace is the Master's best friend!

  12. #12
    Campaign Veteran skidmark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    North Chesterfield VA
    Posts
    10,682
    Quote Originally Posted by T Dubya View Post
    ....
    I want to see a collective legal defense fund that we all create and we all contribute too.

    ....

    http://www.vaguntrader.com/forums/ub...rge#Post239900

    http://www.VirginiaLegalDefense.com/
    If you had kept up with User's infrequent random postings around here you would be aware that he is in the process of setting up a corporate entity that will be able to accept donations (tax status still in discussion) for just the collective legal defense fund you are envisioning.

    Nothing against VCDL as an organization, but there have been cases that "everyone else" believed to be worthy of support that, for various reasons, they chose not to support. Given that the reputation and good-will of VCDL rides on every action of the organization I will always defer to the decision of that organization - even when I don't agree with it, or worse when I disagree with the reason(ing) used to reach the decision.

    The fund and corporate entity that Dan is working towards will not have that impediment. But knowing him, there will be some sort of subjective process in place to decide who/what case is "worthy" of support. It will be his entity and if I agree with the ground rules and contribute to it I will have accepted his rules - one of which I'm pretty sure id that he gets to decide who is supported and who is not.

    stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

    Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

    "No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

  13. #13
    Accomplished Advocate user's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Northern Piedmont of Virginia
    Posts
    2,373
    I appreciate the accolades, but it helps to have a case in which the truth and the facts are on the side of the client. I like it when the client is actually not guilty of the crime charged.
    Daniel L. Hawes - 540 347 2430 - HTTP://www.VirginiaLegalDefense.com

    By the way, nothing I say on this website as "user" should be taken as either advertising for attorney services or legal advice, merely personal opinion. Everyone having a question regarding the application of law to the facts of their situation should seek the advice of an attorney competent in the subject matter of the issues presented and licensed to practice in the relevant state.

  14. #14
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,602
    Quote Originally Posted by user View Post
    I appreciate the accolades, but it helps to have a case in which the truth and the facts are on the side of the client. I like it when the client is actually not guilty of the crime charged.
    I have no doubt but that you sleep well at night.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Lynchburg
    Posts
    167

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by Blk97F150 View Post
    Since this involves another person (and one who does not visit this site), I am not going to post details.... but Dan Hawes is THE MAN when it comes to legal defense in Virginia! If you do not have his card in your wallet, you should. If you do not have his number saved in your phone.... do it today.

    Thanks Dan!

    (And to keep this OC related... I'm Open Carrying in my living room right now as I type this! )

    You couldnt be more right. My situation is somewhat unique and I was fortunate enough to speak with Dan on the phone one day. By the time I hung up I felt super confident in what he said. I spoke with "gun lawyers" like Mark Matthews that knew nothing about my situation and provided incorrect and poor advice. Dan is truley a blessing to 2nd amendment junkies such as myself.

  16. #16
    Accomplished Advocate user's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Northern Piedmont of Virginia
    Posts
    2,373
    I'm glad people think I'm pretty good at what I do. However, every attorney does things a little differently and has a different scope of practice. I know Mark Matthews pretty well; he's a friend of mine, and I think he's a good lawyer; I routinely refer people to him who want NFA trusts set up, because I don't do that kind of work. Similarly, I don't do corporate stuff, real estate closings, domestic relations, wills, and a million other things, because I'm not good at those things, and I don't like doing them. This is sort of a "right tool for the job" analysis, I reckon. (There are a lot of other people who call themselves "gun-friendly lawyers", however, whom I would not recommend for any kind of legal work, and some advertise that way simply hoping they can get some kind of work, any kind of work, because they're downright bad lawyers.)
    Last edited by user; 05-08-2012 at 08:24 AM.
    Daniel L. Hawes - 540 347 2430 - HTTP://www.VirginiaLegalDefense.com

    By the way, nothing I say on this website as "user" should be taken as either advertising for attorney services or legal advice, merely personal opinion. Everyone having a question regarding the application of law to the facts of their situation should seek the advice of an attorney competent in the subject matter of the issues presented and licensed to practice in the relevant state.

  17. #17
    Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13,580
    Quote Originally Posted by user View Post
    and some advertise that way simply hoping they can get some kind of work, any kind of work, because they're downright bad lawyers.)
    That's why they invented personal injury, collections and government. Otherwise these fellows would starve!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •