• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry in VA State Parks - Philip on the news

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2012/may/1/visitors-can-pack-heat-in-virginia-parks/

snip...
Philip Van Cleave, president of the Virginia Citizens Defense League, said changing the regulation carries more significance than a mere letter or directive because it will make it more difficult for future governors to undo.“We’re glad to see that formally done,” he said. “When McDonnell got in, we got some things fixed that should have gotten fixed a long time ago.”He pointed to a bill that allows concealed handgun permit holders to carry guns into restaurants that serve alcohol, as long as they don’t drink. The bill was signed into law by Mr. McDonnell in 2010 after measures were vetoed by Democrat Tim Kaine, Mr. McDonnell’s predecessor, the previous two years.

Skeptic

Founder's Club Member
I am disappointed with CBS6 for hyping this as if it is dangerous. Airing ignorant comments like "what are they going to use it for, shooting an eagle?". I mean if you want to talk animals, was there not just a case where some utility workers had to shoot a (rabid?) bear in Virginia?

I haven't seen what the other channels in Richmond have had to say about it. I guess generally WTVR only gets it close to right when Mark Holmberg covers it, and even then only about 90% of the time.

Like one commenter on FB put it though, it's not the guns you see that you should worry about.

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
Mr. Levine,

Thank you for your note. I didn’t do a very good job of explaining myself there on camera. If a person is in a park with a holstered sidearm picnicking or hiking, I’m sure no one would say anything to the patron. But if someone were carrying a weapon that looked out of place, whether that weapon be a firearm, a machete or an axe, one of our officers might stop by to ask the person how he was doing or if he needed any assistance.

You can also rest assured that our law enforcement officers have a much better understanding of the legalities of this issue than do I.

Again, thank you for your concern,

Gary Waugh
Public Relations Manager
Virginia Department of Conservation and Recreation
(804) 786-5045
(804) 371-2072 fax
Sent: Thursday, May 03, 2012 8:38 AM
To: Waugh, Gary (DCR)
Subject: "Why are you carrying a firearm?"

Mr. Waugh -

I saw the news report on WTVR (http://wtvr.com/2012/05/02/33917/) where you mentioned that "some of your folks might stop by and ask him, he or her, why he is carrying a firearm?" That may be permissible if the conversation was consensual, but without probable cause or reasonable articulable suspicion that a crime was about to be committed, the person carrying does not have to say a word. I just thought you may want to know.

Thanks,

Ed Levine

riverrat10k

I read the other thread on this subject.....

...and am pleased that this has finally become "official".

I think we still have some issues with State FORESTS, and possibly other "protected" areas such as historic and "wilderness" set-asides.

Will re-read the pertinent threads again, but having little enclaves of no-carry is just plain wrong and only hurts those attempting to be law-abiding.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
...and am pleased that this has finally become "official".

I think we still have some issues with State FORESTS, and possibly other "protected" areas such as historic and "wilderness" set-asides.

Will re-read the pertinent threads again, but having little enclaves of no-carry is just plain wrong and only hurts those attempting to be law-abiding.

You hit the nail on the head RR.
The simple fact is that the only one's that bother with all the research are thepeople who want to obey the law and are no threat to anyone.

They are also the one's that will be charged if they do miss something because they're not trying to hide anything.

Catch 22

stickslinger

I live near and frequent Leesylvania State Park often. For the fishing mostly. There is a pier that extends off one of the points in the park into the Potomac River about 75 yards out or so over the water. I guess the question is, if OC'ing and fishing on that pier am i still in Virgina State Park boundary or did I just stupidly walk into Maryland?

Last edited:

Blk97F150

I live near and frequent Leesylvania State Park often. For the fishing mostly. There is a pier that extends off one of the points in the park into the Potomac River about 75 yards out or so over the water. I guess the question is, if OC'ing and fishing on that pier am i still in Virgina State Park boundary or did I just stupidly walk into Maryland?

Not the Google Maps is the 'correct' answer, but it shows the dock extending into Maryland.

LINK

stickslinger

Not the Google Maps is the 'correct' answer, but it shows the dock extending into Maryland.

LINK

Yep. I knew the line hugs the Virginia side, but I didn't know the pier was 60% consumed by Maryland at that one point. Thanks for posting that. A mariners map may shed the truth, but since I don't own a boat any longer, the maps went with it :)

Game Wardens go out there checking the spoils of folks fishing out there all day long, may ask the opinion from one of those folks.

Blk97F150

Yep. I knew the line hugs the Virginia side, but I didn't know the pier was 60% consumed by Maryland at that one point. Thanks for posting that. A mariners map may shed the truth, but since I don't own a boat any longer, the maps went with it :)

Game Wardens go out there checking the spoils of folks fishing out there all day long, may ask the opinion from one of those folks.

Do you know the two happiest days of a boat owners life?? The day he bought it.... and the day he sold it!! :lol:

Is it the Virginia Game Warden? Ask him about enforcing Virginia fishing law.... in Merryland. :eek:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Do you know the two happiest days of a boat owners life?? The day he bought it.... and the day he sold it!! :lol:
. :eek:

Depends!
Paddle or sail propulsion are forever, but those #%&*( power boats are a hole in the water.

I have a Kayak, a Canoe and an O'day 21 footer, that I will go to my grave cherishing.

My son has a fancy power boat that looks very pretty sitting in his back yard waiting for parts:lol::lol::lol:

stickslinger

Is it the Virginia Game Warden? Ask him about enforcing Virginia fishing law.... in Merryland. :eek:

I think both states have a reciprocal agreement that fishing with a Virgina Fishing License or Maryland Fishing license is valid along the Potomac. But I believe OC'ing while walking/standing/hovering 8 feet above the water on the Maryland side isn't cover there. :)

But I will bring that question up too :)

stickslinger

Depends!
Paddle or sail propulsion are forever, but those #%&*( power boats are a hole in the water.

I have a Kayak, a Canoe and an O'day 21 footer, that I will go to my grave cherishing.

My son has a fancy power boat that looks very pretty sitting in his back yard waiting for parts:lol::lol::lol:

I had a 23 foot '84 Chris Craft Scorpion. Sux I had to part with it :)

Blk97F150

Depends!

My in-laws have a catamaran sailboat on the Chesapeake (Peoples Republik of Merryland side). Whenever we go out I always keep asking 'does it go any faster?'!! :banana:

That said, a co-worker has a $32,000 power boat that has been sitting in his front yard broken for 3 years now. He's still making payments on it. I told him he may as well fill the thing with dirt and turn it into a flower bed!! :lol:

TFred

I believe that if you can determine that the state line does actually run along the shore there, then yes, the Maryland laws would apply. That is how it works in Colonial Beach, where they have restaurants and bars out on the pier over the water for exactly that reason. Common local stories are that when fights break out, they have to call the cops from across the river, which take about 40 minutes to arrive since they have to go by road.

TFred