• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

My first time to carry and open carry today!

Minnesota

Hey everyone,

I am new to the site, got my permit to carry last saturday from Anoka county. I just wanted to talk to some poeple that also carry.

Today was my first big day...

I go down town Minneapolis a lot to walk around with my girlfriend where the new 35W bridge is. Today was my first time ever to carry and on top of that open carry! I wore my s&w bodygaurd 380 auto in a side holster.

I read A LOT of open carry post before I did this so I knew what everyone else went through.

My heart was racing for awhile tell I watched people through my dark sunglasses and noticed no one cared or noticed. I dress "sporty" as well as my girl friend so I look rather "clean" when I dress. I am 22 years old and most people pin me around 27 years old.

So anyways I walked from the 35w bridge all the way down nicholet mall strip which is about a mile or two. I pased about 4 cops and we all said high to one another, dont know if they saw my 380 or not.

The girlfriend then wanted somthing cold to drink since it was hot today so I got on my cell phones gps going. I stood in a corner by where the club/bars are by the light rail. While I was looking on the gps a man came from behind me and asked if I need directions. I looked around and it was a guy on a segway with a bright green shirt on that said "street ambassador" I was nice and asked where starbucks or caribou was. He pointed me in the direction and off we went with no questions! The girlfriend said he came up from behind, looked at my gun for a sec or two then started to talk.

On the way home I went to subway on university and egret ave. in blaine. The place was packed with parents and little kids and some teenagers. I ordered my grub and little kids pointed out my gun. The parents behind me were great and they said I was a cop or security gaurd to easy there minds but never talked to me so I left it alone to make it easy for everyone there.

I must say I am so glad to have the right to carry my pistoles with me now. I cant wait to do it more and more. I just wanted to share all of this with anyone from MN who is willing to read it. If there are any PM list for group meetings or trash pickup days please include me on the pm list. I look forward to talking to everyone here in MN!

Thank you,
Nick Eischens
Blaine, MN

Irish.40

Congrats on your first day OC! I hope mine is just as uneventful when my permit arrives.

robdoar

Gatta love kids. Right at eye level for them.

Good job losing your OC virginity. ;-) Glad it went well for you.

Minnesota

Hope it goes well for you to Irish.40, I would suggest you just read up on other peoples open carry first times to get a feel of what you will be feeling and seeing for you first time. Thanks robdoar, it was a great first time for me. I just cant wait to go out with groups now!

gunns

Nice. Glad it went ok. Do you have a recorder? I ask only because I intend to get one before I open carry again. I don't want to get into a he said she said situation.

Irish.40

Hope it goes well for you to Irish.40, I would suggest you just read up on other peoples open carry first times to get a feel of what you will be feeling and seeing for you first time. Thanks robdoar, it was a great first time for me. I just cant wait to go out with groups now!

I have been doing a lot of that. Already have the recording piece set with my phone, video and audio.

Minnesota

gunns- i installed the app evernote on my phone for free. It has a voice recorder that stores local and server backed up copy. Its also great for everyday use for mental notes that you want to type. Should try it out for free before spending money on a nice recorder.

gunns

gunns- i installed the app evernote on my phone for free. It has a voice recorder that stores local and server backed up copy. Its also great for everyday use for mental notes that you want to type. Should try it out for free before spending money on a nice recorder.

I will give it a try.

Minnesota

well I have been open carrying for the past week or so and havent had one problem yet! I go to a lot of stores during the week as well. I will start posting in friend or non-friend co's here to keep every one up to date!

dasbunker

dasbunker

Hi Nick
I am also new to this site.
I just posted about my experience and it is much like yours.
Not much to say, but it doesn’t seem to be a big deal to open carry.
I was like you when I started, looking around to see if the cops were sneaking up behind me.
Hope I meet you on the street some day. We can go have a Coke and talk about or “war stories”

"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
Robert A. Heinlein

BOOMcat12B

Congrats on your first week OCing... Glad everything is going well for you... Most of the time folks do not even realize you are carrying (It is sad how little situational awareness folks have). The only comment I have is to maybe pay alittle more attention to what is going on around you...Having someone coming up from behind you without you knowing is not a good thing... But it comes with practice...Regardless keep up the good work!!!!!:D

Vnuk1

I've had my Permit for 5 years now and have never open carried, I'm looking at buying something new so maybe I'll get a nice holster this time. Currently have a Kel-Tec P11 9mm with the belt clip holster mounted on it, thinking about the Springfield XD. Btw, I'm in Champlin not too far from you. Yeah I know, holy old thread resurrection but I'm just joining today.

Minnesota

I've had my Permit for 5 years now and have never open carried, I'm looking at buying something new so maybe I'll get a nice holster this time. Currently have a Kel-Tec P11 9mm with the belt clip holster mounted on it, thinking about the Springfield XD. Btw, I'm in Champlin not too far from you. Yeah I know, holy old thread resurrection but I'm just joining today.

Hey wellcome to the forums! Glad we have a new member from Minnesota! Nice choice looking into the XD's I like them but I need to drink that glock Kool aid first lol Here is another Minnesota carry forum thats very active: http://www.carryforum.com/forum/ I have the same user name over there as well as some of the guys in the Minnesota chapter on this forum! I like blackhawk, fobus, DiSanti holsters myself and can get them all local.

I hope us Kentuckians are allowed to post here.

Great to see that your experience went great!

Thanks! Its been 8 months since I have had my PTC. I love it and my family and friends like me around whenever we are out and about. I now have collect a few more handguns and always feel like a women picking out shoes for the day when I chose which one I'll carry for the day but is a very good problem to have lol

Vnuk1

I'm just waiting on the damn background check for the Taurus 380 for the wife and I was delayed both times purchasing my wife's Christmas present and my XD Sub Compact. Hopefully have them by this weekend, I don't understand the bs getting delayed I have my permit so they know I'm not a felon or criminal.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
--snip--I now have collect a few more handguns and always feel like a women picking out shoes for the day when I chose which one I'll carry for the day but is a very good problem to have lol

In order to obtain that lofty state of being, you'll have to carry a pair of guns - after all women never wear just one shoe. :lol:

Minnesota

In order to obtain that lofty state of being, you'll have to carry a pair of guns - after all women never wear just one shoe. :lol:

haha thanks for the laugh! Now I can tell my girlfriend that I'm not crazy to have two guns on me, since she has two shoes on and....and...and Grapeshot said so!

I'll report back with a picture of her face when I drop that line :banana: