Thread: BDN: Silencers gaining popularity among Maine gun users

Thumbs up BDN: Silencers gaining popularity among Maine gun users

"TURNER, Maine — Chris Jordan rotated his safety switch to semiautomatic, aimed, and squeezed the trigger.

In his hands, the German-made submachine gun twitched as it fired a 9-mm bullet at a speed of more than 1,000 feet per second. The round had sunk safely into the sand of a nearby gravel pit wall when its sound arrived.

It resembled a sneeze."

BDN ; By Daniel Hartill, Sun Journal Posted April 29, 2012

Posted in Comments @ end of Article..=.

"I'm waiting for the comment from the gun-head that explains to me how a silencer is critical for defending against home invasion."

"Simple. When the second intruder says 'Bless you' you know exactly where they are!"

"Plus you won't wake the sleeping kids"

LINK 4 Article;http://bangordailynews.com/2012/04/2...ine-gun-users/

PEACE & RKBA FOREVER !!!
    Last edited by scott58dh; 05-07-2012 at 10:29 PM.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    "Silencers" are not silent - at best they suppress the sound - consider that they effectively lengthen the barrel too + they aren't cheap and require a $200.00 fee on top of all else.

Long guns are off topic for OCDO per the Forum Rules.

OCing a handgun with a suppressor attached is hardly practical normal, everyday carry. I've heard of a few people with lots of discretionary cash using them for target shooting - personally I find a good set of muffs cheaper.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

I would love to have a suppressor for practice out of consideration for neighbors. It cuts down on the overall noise pollution and if they were readily available and accessible it would take away a huge argument that anti-gunners have about range noise.

I think it's stupid that they require a $200 stamp. Some European countries have entirely deregulated suppressors because it cuts the noise pollution of a range significantly. Those countries have not seen a huge rise of crime from criminals obtaining and using suppressors.

Regular Member Ballistic Otters's Avatar

Silencers!

Suppressors aren't critical to defending your home, but they should really be considered. If you can afford the $200 tax and however much the suppressor costs you, go for it. If you need to fire on an intruder, do it, but I'd say the investment is worth not going deaf. Inside, a gunshot can cause permanent hearing loss. And they're not quiet enough to be reasonably used in any ridiculously convoluted crime plot. Too many action movies led to people hating suppressors.

Banned
    Problem is .. most people never practice w/o hearing protection. But you don't want hearing protection on when someone is in your home...

Some practice w/o hearing protection should be done.

While not necessary for any reason, don't tell me you wouldn't want one after watching this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YegnDS4bBIo

I can't wait until I can afford one of these for my Walthers. My .22 pellet gun is louder than this!
    Once more into the fray.
    Into the last good fight I'll ever know.
    Live and die on this day.
    Live and die on this day.

"I knew one thing: as soon as anyone said you didn't need a gun, you'd better take one along that worked."
    Raymond Chandler

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    Problem is .. most people never practice w/o hearing protection. But you don't want hearing protection on when someone is in your home...

Some practice w/o hearing protection should be done.
    Practicing w/o "ears" at an outdoor range will not prepare you for the SPL's you'll encounter if you discharge a weapon of any significant caliber in your bedroom or a narrow hallway.
    A good suppressor on a home defense weapon will not only help prevent temporary concussion deafness / permanent hearing damage, it will also reduce / eliminate muzzle flash that can impact your ability to see potential threats during night time HD scenarios.

For those who don't wish to plunk down hundreds of dollars to purchase & "stamp" a home defense suppressor I strongly suggest *active* hearing protection. Howard Leight "Impact" electronic headsets can be had for under $50 and give the ability to not only hear normally, but to increase the gain for improved hearing sensitivity, while still protecting you from the Sound Pressure Levels associated with the squeeze of a trigger. I know many people who have a pair for the range and keep a pair beside their beds.

Quote Originally Posted by whoppo View Post
    --snip--

For those who don't wish to plunk down hundreds of dollars to purchase & "stamp" a home defense suppressor I strongly suggest *active* hearing protection. Howard Leight "Impact" electronic headsets can be had for under $50 and give the ability to not only hear normally, but to increase the gain for improved hearing sensitivity, while still protecting you from the Sound Pressure Levels associated with the squeeze of a trigger. I know many people who have a pair for the range and keep a pair beside their beds.
    Interesting that you recommend that particular brand as BATFE has stated that they are inadequate. Do I agree? -no. Is their reasoning likely politically motivated? - yes.
    http://www.volokh.com/author/davek/
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Interesting that you recommend that particular brand as BATFE has stated that they are inadequate. Do I agree? -no. Is their reasoning likely politically motivated? - yes.
    http://www.volokh.com/author/davek/
    Odd, when i read the article, it refers to OSHA and not BATF, did i miss something?

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by kcgunfan View Post
    Odd, when i read the article, it refers to OSHA and not BATF, did i miss something?

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2
    You are correct - it should have read OSHA. Fingers typing beat brain engagement to the finish line - my bad.