• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Sheriff Clarke says DA 'refuses' to charge man with threatening Vicki McKenna.

• Thread starter Herr Heckler Koch
  • Start date
H

Herr Heckler Koch

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/news/149868425.html
B. Vielmetti said:
According to Sheriff David A. Clarke, Jr., the remarks were anything but romantic. They in fact were death threats, some very offensive and detailed threats, Clarke says. One ending remark that can be printed in this blog, was "I love this country and hate its citizens."

In an unusual court filing, Clarke asked a judge to permit him to directly charge Demeuse with a crime, saying District Attorney John Chisholm "refuses to issue a criminal complaint" against the man.
It will be interesting to hear the rest of this story.

Wisc. Stats. said:
§ 968.02(3) If a district attorney refuses or is unavailable to issue a complaint, a circuit judge may permit the filing of a complaint, if the judge finds there is probable cause to believe that the person to be charged has committed an offense after conducting a hearing. If the district attorney has refused to issue a complaint, he or she shall be informed of the hearing and may attend. The hearing shall be ex parte without the right of cross-examination.
The Annotations are intresting.

Viki McKenna has been a stalwart friend of the RKABA.

H

Herr Heckler Koch

http://www.wicourts.gov/sc/opinion/DisplayDocument.html?content=html&seqNo=17531
¶1 JON P. WILCOX, J. This is a review of a court of appeals decision, In the Interest of Douglas D.: State v. Douglas D., No. 99-1767-FT, unpublished slip op. (Wis. Ct. App. Dec. 14, 1999), which affirmed a judgment by the Circuit Court for Oconto County, Judge Richard D. Delforge. The circuit court found that the content of an eighth-grade creative writing assignment authored by the petitioner, Douglas D. (Douglas), a minor, constituted a threat against Douglas's English teacher. Based on this finding, the court adjudicated Douglas delinquent for violating the disorderly conduct statute, Wis. Stat. § 947.01 (1997-98).

Last edited:

Captain Nemo

No. 99-1767

STATE OF WISCONSIN : IN SUPREME COURT

FILED

MAY 16, 2001

Cornelia G. Clark

Clerk of Supreme Court

Madison, WI

In the Interest of Douglas D.,

a person Under the Age of 17:

State of Wisconsin,

Petitioner-Respondent,

v.

Douglas D.,

Respondent-Appellant-Petitioner.

REVIEW of a decision of the Court of Appeals. Reversed.

¶1 JON P. WILCOX, J. This is a review of a court of appeals decision, In the Interest of Douglas D.: State v. Douglas D., No. 99-1767-FT, unpublished slip op. (Wis. Ct. App. Dec. 14, 1999), which affirmed a judgment by the Circuit Court for Oconto County, Judge Richard D. Delforge. The circuit court found that the content of an eighth-grade creative writing assignment authored by the petitioner, Douglas D. (Douglas), a minor, constituted a threat against Douglas's English teacher. Based on this finding, the court adjudicated Douglas delinquent for violating the disorderly conduct statute, Wis. Stat. § 947.01 (1997-98).[1]

¶2 Douglas now petitions this court to reverse the court of appeals decision, which affirmed his delinquency adjudication. In doing so, he presents two issues for review: (1) Can the disorderly conduct statute be construed to criminalize purely written speech, even if the speech does not cause a disturbance? (2) If so, is his speech protected by the First Amendment,[2] thus barring the State from prosecuting him for disorderly conduct?

¶3 We conclude that purely written speech, even written speech that fails to cause an actual disturbance, can constitute disorderly conduct as defined by § 947.01; however, because Douglas's speech falls within the protection of the First Amendment, the State nonetheless is barred from prosecuting Douglas for disorderly conduct. Accordingly, we reverse the decision of the court of appeals.

Law abider

I am guessing the line of reasoning is the same as those judges who have blocked voter ID law. Vikki is a constitutionalist originalist, I presume, like me and the DA allowed his political views to trumph justice. Let me see.. he must be a liberal Democrat (generally speaking) who hates the likes of us and Vikki.

Last edited: