Thread: Gov. Scott Rejects request for ban during RNC convention

Gov. Scott Rejects request for ban during RNC convention

Florida: Gov. rejects request from Tampa mayor to ban guns during RNC convention

Florida Gov. Rick Scott has rejected a request from the Tampa mayor to prohibit the carrying of guns in downtown during the Republican National Convention this summer because it would infringe upon "sacred constitutional traditions," according to a letter released Wednesday

Source: http://www.heraldnet.com/article/201...WS02/705039890
    Last edited by seminoles1999; 05-03-2012 at 11:07 AM.

Banned
    This should clue you in. Democrats are now communists and republicans are now democrats .... I belong to neither

Quote Originally Posted by seminoles1999 View Post
    Florida: Gov. rejects request from Tampa mayor to ban guns during RNC convention

Florida Gov. Rick Scott has rejected a request from the Tampa mayor to prohibit the carrying of guns in downtown during the Republican National Convention this summer because it would infringe upon "sacred constitutional traditions," according to a letter released Wednesday

Source: http://www.heraldnet.com/article/201...WS02/705039890
    A pro-freedom Governor tells a gutless, pos democrap to shove it ** *** ***. You gotta love it.
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 05-03-2012 at 04:31 PM. Reason: Choice of words on public forum
    "For any man who sheds his blood with me this day shall be my brother...And gentlemen now abed shall think themselves accursed, they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whilst any speaks who fought with us on Crispin's day." Henry V

Quote Originally Posted by Gunslinger View Post
    A pro-freedom Governor tells a gutless, pos democrap to shove it ** *** ***. You gotta love it.
    Or, a typical politician claims credit for not doing something he had no legal authority to do anyway...
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 05-03-2012 at 04:32 PM. Reason: Edited quote
    Total ignorance: an Obama supporter's stock in trade
    Quote Originally Posted by Beretta92FSLady View Post
    All the talk about Overthrowing Big Government, Revolution, etc., it's just another one of those nostalgic ideas that individuals have idealized.
    O RLY?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...and_rebellions
    Books are overrated; and so is history.

Quote Originally Posted by ManInBlack View Post
    Or, a typical politician claims credit for not doing something he had no legal authority to do anyway...

Either way, the definitive anti-rights politician was told "No."
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 05-03-2012 at 04:33 PM.

Come on, now. The governor upheld a sacred right and I don't believe politics was involved. Merely the difference between those who support our freedoms and those who would suspend them when 'they' think it's convenient.
    "For any man who sheds his blood with me this day shall be my brother...And gentlemen now abed shall think themselves accursed, they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whilst any speaks who fought with us on Crispin's day." Henry V

Come on, now. The governor upheld a sacred right and I don't believe politics was involved. Merely the difference between those who support our freedoms and those who would suspend them when 'they' think it's convenient.
    The point is that under state preemption, the governor had no authority in the first place to ban guns. The correct thing to do would have been to say loudly and proudly that, "Under the Florida Constitution and law, neither I, nor any other public official, has the authority to prohibit the free exercise of the people's right to keep and bear arms."

Instead, he engaged in the the typical politician credit-claiming game. I mean, obviously, I would rather have pro-gun politicians than anti-gun, but the governor deserves no special accolades here. He refused to do what he was prohibited from doing anyway and then claimed credit for refusing, all in the name of scoring cheap political points with people like us.

Hopefully most of us can see through the smoke and mirrors.
    All the talk about Overthrowing Big Government, Revolution, etc., it's just another one of those nostalgic ideas that individuals have idealized.
    O RLY?

The point is that under state preemption, the governor had no authority in the first place to ban guns. The correct thing to do would have been to say loudly and proudly that, "Under the Florida Constitution and law, neither I, nor any other public official, has the authority to prohibit the free exercise of the people's right to keep and bear arms."

Instead, he engaged in the the typical politician credit-claiming game. I mean, obviously, I would rather have pro-gun politicians than anti-gun, but the governor deserves no special accolades here. He refused to do what he was prohibited from doing anyway and then claimed credit for refusing, all in the name of scoring cheap political points with people like us.

Hopefully most of us can see through the smoke and mirrors.
    The pos democrap is the one who tried to ban a right. The governor was the one who affirmed the right. Irrespective of claiming credit, he did the right thing constitutionally and showed an anti-gun nut for what he was. The net sum: favorable. If he got a few credits, I can live with that.

Unhappy

The pos democrap is the one who tried to ban a right. The governor was the one who affirmed the right. Irrespective of claiming credit, he did the right thing constitutionally and showed an anti-gun nut for what he was. The net sum: favorable. If he got a few credits, I can live with that.
    He did not affirm the right! Floridians have the right to keep and bear arms without interference from any government entity other than the Legislature. That is the whole point of preemption! Instead of acknowledging that fact, the governor was quite happy to pretend as though he was king for the day, and actually had any kind of authority to ban guns.

It is disappointing to see such an intelligent poster blinded by the two-party false dichotomy.
    O RLY?

He did not affirm the right! Floridians have the right to keep and bear arms without interference from any government entity other than the Legislature. That is the whole point of preemption! Instead of acknowledging that fact, the governor was quite happy to pretend as though he was king for the day, and actually had any kind of authority to ban guns.

It is disappointing to see such an intelligent poster blinded by the two-party false dichotomy.
    You and I disagree so rarely, I'm surprised we are here. I understand your point, but consider that the governor could have simply ignored the anti-gun, anti-freedom mayor, and let the law control, res ipsa loquitur. Instead he spoke up and did, prima facie, affirm a right as a right. Forget the party labels. I would give the same kudo to a democrat, if there is one out there, who did the same thing against an anti Republican. I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one.