Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: Buddies LEO interaction.

  1. #1
    Activist Member SigGuy23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Freeland, WA
    Posts
    323

    Buddies LEO interaction.

    So I have a friend who is stationed in Bremerton. He lives on the third floor of his apartment complex. He has multiple firearms. Today he was cleaning some of his guns. He got the shotgun out of his room and brought it into the living room. His blinds were open. The neighbors all the way across the complex in another building, saw him with the shotgun threw is patio door windows. They freaked out at the mere sight of the shotgun (that he had in his own residence) and called the police on him. The police showed up and talked to him for like 2 minutes and left.

    The ****** part is, after the police left. his apt managers contacted his command. They claimed it was "Policy". So My buddy goes to work and is ambushed and chewed out for 45 minutes straight by his chief. Instead of the chief hearing his side first like he should of. He just assumed and jumped to conclusions.

    He was braking no laws, and in his place of residence. Yet he gets the cops called on him and chewed out for no real reason. F@%in anti's.

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Arlington, Washington, USA
    Posts
    181
    That there is an E-7 not a Chief. I hope that your friend stood his ground (respectfullly of course).

  3. #3
    Activist Member SigGuy23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Freeland, WA
    Posts
    323
    yes he did. Once the chief got done yelling, he explained what happened and everything was fine.

  4. #4
    Regular Member Wolfebane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Bellingham, WA
    Posts
    113
    So what was his "Chief" under the assumption that he did? What did the manager tell his command?

  5. #5
    Regular Member fire suppressor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Kitsap County
    Posts
    872
    At least the police did not kick his door down and order him to the ground at gun point. I'm not a fancy city lawyer but I would try and get a copy of that "policy" don't know what law the land lord broke but there has to be one. I'm not too far away from your friend I am in Poulsbo if he wants to have a open carry gun cleaning party in front of his window let me know I'll show up with my collection
    "Fight like you train, train like you fight"

  6. #6
    Regular Member fire suppressor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Kitsap County
    Posts
    872
    Let your friend know he can go to CENCOM (the 911 center for kitsap county) in bremerton and request a copy of the 911 call made and the police radio traffic. Anything that goes over the radio is considered public information and he has a legal right to it. CENCOM will burn the entire event start to finish on a CD and give it to him
    "Fight like you train, train like you fight"

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    1,182
    Quote Originally Posted by fire suppressor View Post
    Let your friend know he can go to CENCOM (the 911 center for kitsap county) in bremerton and request a copy of the 911 call made and the police radio traffic. Anything that goes over the radio is considered public information and he has a legal right to it. CENCOM will burn the entire event start to finish on a CD and give it to him
    He should be able to create a FOIA (Freedom of Information Act) request for the police report too.

  8. #8
    Regular Member amlevin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    North of Seattle, Washington, USA
    Posts
    5,953
    Quote Originally Posted by SigGuy23 View Post
    yes he did. Once the chief got done yelling, he explained what happened and everything was fine.
    It's in their nature to get all pissed off regardless. All my NCO's went off on anyone that they got called on for even the slightest infraction both on and off post. Don't salute in a timely manner while walking, get chewed out by the First Sergeant. Take your cover off and scratch your head when outside, get chewed out. Get a traffic ticket, get chewed out. Don't pay a bill on time and have the command notified you owe money, get really chewed out.

    When I got out, my butt was so used to being chewed, for a while I thought it was made of bubble gum.
    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

    "If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Tacoma
    Posts
    189
    I'd also recommend that your buddy carefully read his lease agreement. My bet is there is no said policy he signed.
    What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.

    I believe in freedom, Mr. Lipwig. Not many people do, although they will, of course, protest otherwise. And no practical definition of freedom would be complete without the freedom to take the consequences. Indeed, it is the freedom upon which all the others are based.

    The freedom to succeed goes hand in hand with the freedom to fail. - Going Postal, Terry Pratchett

  10. #10
    Activist Member SigGuy23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Freeland, WA
    Posts
    323
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfebane View Post
    So what was his "Chief" under the assumption that he did? What did the manager tell his command?
    Not really sure. I think the chief just heard police and firearms and didn't hear anything else. You know how they get. They will pick at certain words when you talk to them to try and make it sound like it's worse than it really is.

    From what he told me. He said the manager is required by policy to inform the command of military residents if the police are called out for any reason. I don't know much more. I just thought it was stupid and had to share it with everyone.

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    SW Idaho
    Posts
    1,552

    Question

    Quote Originally Posted by SigGuy23 View Post
    From what he told me. He said the manager is required by policy to inform the command of military residents if the police are called out for any reason. I don't know much more. I just thought it was stupid and had to share it with everyone.
    Is this on-base housing or something? I have never heard of such a policy, and have never signed a lease which included a provision that military members would have their commands notified for violating policies.

    Are they really going to notify if they catch someone with an unauthorized pet? Prohibited decorations on their porch?
    Total ignorance: an Obama supporter's stock in trade
    Quote Originally Posted by Beretta92FSLady View Post
    All the talk about Overthrowing Big Government, Revolution, etc., it's just another one of those nostalgic ideas that individuals have idealized.
    O RLY?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...and_rebellions
    Quote Originally Posted by Beretta92FSLady View Post
    Books are overrated; and so is history.

  12. #12
    Regular Member amlevin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    North of Seattle, Washington, USA
    Posts
    5,953
    Quote Originally Posted by ManInBlack View Post
    Is this on-base housing or something? I have never heard of such a policy, and have never signed a lease which included a provision that military members would have their commands notified for violating policies.
    You've never lived in Bremerton or the surrounding area. I grew up near there and started out my adult life in Bremerton. Damn near all the rental housing there has some form of military tenant. It's a NAVY town.

    Of course being from Idaho, not too many ships make their home ports near you.
    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

    "If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    SW Idaho
    Posts
    1,552

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by amlevin View Post
    You've never lived in Bremerton or the surrounding area. I grew up near there and started out my adult life in Bremerton. Damn near all the rental housing there has some form of military tenant. It's a NAVY town.

    Of course being from Idaho, not too many ships make their home ports near you.
    I don't doubt that most rental housing in Bremerton has military tenants. That's really quite irrelevant to the question of why a private business would add a stipulation to their policies which results in additional work, no additional revenue, and the possible loss of a paying tenant (a guy could get kicked out of the military with enough bad reports, and lose the means to pay for housing). Unless you are chasing down a military member for bad debt, there is really no good reason to get the military involved in your private dealings.

    Just FYI, I was born and raised in Alaska, went to high school in the Seattle area, lived in New Orleans for several years, and moved to Idaho two years ago. All are areas with a significant military presence - we even have a real live Air Force Base here in rinky-dink Idaho (Mountain Home)!!! I've taken classes out at Gowen Field, the Reserve base just south of town.

    I am very, very familiar with Bremerton.

    I'm sure you know by now what ASSuming does.
    Total ignorance: an Obama supporter's stock in trade
    Quote Originally Posted by Beretta92FSLady View Post
    All the talk about Overthrowing Big Government, Revolution, etc., it's just another one of those nostalgic ideas that individuals have idealized.
    O RLY?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...and_rebellions
    Quote Originally Posted by Beretta92FSLady View Post
    Books are overrated; and so is history.

  14. #14
    Activist Member SigGuy23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Freeland, WA
    Posts
    323
    Quote Originally Posted by ManInBlack View Post
    Is this on-base housing or something? I have never heard of such a policy, and have never signed a lease which included a provision that military members would have their commands notified for violating policies.

    Are they really going to notify if they catch someone with an unauthorized pet? Prohibited decorations on their porch?
    No it's not base housing. Just a regular apartment complex. I thought it was strange too.

  15. #15
    Regular Member hermannr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Okanogan Highland
    Posts
    2,332
    Quote Originally Posted by amlevin View Post
    It's in their nature to get all pissed off regardless. All my NCO's went off on anyone that they got called on for even the slightest infraction both on and off post. Don't salute in a timely manner while walking, get chewed out by the First Sergeant. Take your cover off and scratch your head when outside, get chewed out. Get a traffic ticket, get chewed out. Don't pay a bill on time and have the command notified you owe money, get really chewed out.

    When I got out, my butt was so used to being chewed, for a while I thought it was made of bubble gum.
    I would not paint all NCOs and Senior NCOs with that brush. I was one once, and I never yelled at anyone, and I alway got my guys to do what needed to get done. I also worked for a MSG and First Sgt that never did anything like that. My best military friend is a retired First Sgt,

    If you want people to really work (break a**) for you, you treat them as if they are intelligent, rational humans, and with respect, and they will do anything you ask them to.

  16. #16
    Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Whatcom County
    Posts
    17,338
    Quote Originally Posted by hermannr View Post
    I would not paint all NCOs and Senior NCOs with that brush. I was one once, and I never yelled at anyone, and I alway got my guys to do what needed to get done. I also worked for a MSG and First Sgt that never did anything like that. My best military friend is a retired First Sgt,

    If you want people to really work (break a**) for you, you treat them as if they are intelligent, rational humans, and with respect, and they will do anything you ask them to.
    I find this usually works fairly well in the private sector too, I have had employees ask me if I ever yell. I figure by the the time we reach that point there is no use working with each other.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

    U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Long gone
    Posts
    2,575
    Quote Originally Posted by hermannr View Post
    I would not paint all NCOs and Senior NCOs with that brush. I was one once, and I never yelled at anyone, and I alway got my guys to do what needed to get done. I also worked for a MSG and First Sgt that never did anything like that. My best military friend is a retired First Sgt,

    If you want people to really work (break a**) for you, you treat them as if they are intelligent, rational humans, and with respect, and they will do anything you ask them to.
    My son is a USMC NCO/Operations Chief and very seldom raises his voice to his people, his battery receives very high performance reviews and he has been awarded the Navy & Marine Commendation Medal two times in the last year. So you do not have to yell to get things done correctly. Currently he is deployed in Afghanistan.

  18. #18
    Regular Member amlevin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    North of Seattle, Washington, USA
    Posts
    5,953
    Quote Originally Posted by hermannr View Post
    I would not paint all NCOs and Senior NCOs with that brush.
    You're right. I'm sure some actually had parents that were married
    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

    "If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"

  19. #19
    Regular Member decklin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Pacific, WA
    Posts
    764
    Quote Originally Posted by Orphan View Post
    My son is a USMC NCO/Operations Chief and very seldom raises his voice to his people, his battery receives very high performance reviews and he has been awarded the Navy & Marine Commendation Medal two times in the last year. So you do not have to yell to get things done correctly. Currently he is deployed in Afghanistan.
    When I was a Private I was fortunate to have leadership that constantly yelled at my platoon and smoked us (made us do physical training until muscle failure, vomiting, passing out, etc) for the smallest infractions. As an example, one of the guys in my platoon missed a couple hairs on the corners of his mouth while shaving. The Platoon Leader dusted off the entire platoon for not policing up our battle buddy. This was during my first tour in Iraq. We spent nearly a year getting smoked and messed with every day and frequently multiple times a day.
    During this time we were split off from our Company. When we finally linked back up with the Company in the last few months of that tour the other Platoon Sergeants pulled our Platoon Sergeant and PL off to the side and told them to cool it. They reminded them we were armed and they were lucky that they hadn't had an "accident" with a confiscated AK47.
    The reason I told this long and drawn out story is to agree with you. I say I was fortunate this happened because it taught me exaclty the kind of NCO I didn't want to be. I promised myself I wouldn't be like that. As far as I know I kept that promise.
    I found most soldiers will respond with just talking. Most soldiers only need to be fixed with a word. Occasionally though you get that one soldier you just have to dust off because he just doesn't seemt to listen.
    "Loyalty above all else except honor. " -John Mahoney

    "A Government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have." -Gerald R. Ford

  20. #20
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Long gone
    Posts
    2,575
    [QUOTE=decklin;1749590]
    The reason I told this long and drawn out story is to agree with you. I say I was fortunate this happened because it taught me exaclty the kind of NCO I didn't want to be. I promised myself I wouldn't be like that. As far as I know I kept that promise.

    That is almost a verbatim quote from my son almost word for word.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •