Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sb59??

Sb59??

Does anyone know what is going on with SB59? I am just curious if they are still working on it. Thank you all in advance!!!

copied from my email

Friends of Freedom,

I have been hearing from many of you recently: Phil, what's going on with SB 59? Sadly, the answer is: not much. Several weeks ago, in late March, there was word that the Senate Leadership (Randy Richardville) had promised to hold a vote on the Senate floor in Late March/Early April. It's important to note, one man (and one man alone) has the power to make a full Senate vote on SB 59 happen, that's Mr. Richardville. He also has the power to make sure SB 59 is never heard. If what's happened (or rather hasn't happened -- namely the promised vote) in the past month is any indicator, it appears that's his current plan: that SB 59 will die. I know this disappoints many of you. I can't tell you all how much it frustrates me to relay this news. I have put off passing the news on for far too long now, I was simply hoping it wasn't true. But now, I simply have to speak out.

What do we in Michigan Open Carry, Inc. do best? In the past, we've done well at activism and media circuses. That's exactly what we have in mind for the Monroe area (Mr. Richardville's home town) in the coming weeks, if immediate action isn't taken by Mr. Richardville. Please stay tuned for more details.

As for now, if you're itching for something to do, here's Mr. Richardville's phone number: (517) 373-3543. I'm sure you'll think of something to say if you're so inclined...
    Phillip Hofmeister
    President
    Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
    PHofmeister@miopencarry.org
    Last edited by fozzy71; 05-04-2012 at 01:02 AM.
    "I like users who quote smellslikemichigan in their signature lines." - fozzy71

Quote Originally Posted by bruiser 160 View Post
    Does anyone know what is going on with SB59? I am just curious if they are still working on it. Thank you all in advance!!!
    you should sign up for Phil's email list. He doesnt send many only important stuff like what you just read above. Dont have a link but if you ask him Iam sure he will give it to you.

Banned
    D.O.A. Forget it. We need to get the monarchy out of Lansing. Seems like there is one person making the decisions up there.

They arent going to touch PFZs especially when they hear the word school. Go after something like amending 231a and 227 so that you can OC in a car without a CPL, and we will have a better chance of getting something passes for gun rights this term.
    Last edited by stainless1911; 05-04-2012 at 09:46 AM.

This legislator isn't going to do any favors for people who open carry.

Open carry is far more controversial to them than anything having to do with concealed carry. It's sad, but it's true.

As for the list, you can sign up on our Facebook page as well.

http://miopencarry.us4.list-manage1....&id=663239acb4
    Call for a cop, call for an ambulance, and call for a pizza. See who shows up first.

I am not a lawyer (merely an omnipotent member of a continuum). The contents of this post are not a substitute for sound legal advice from a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction.

Comments and views stated in my post are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Michigan Open Carry, Inc. unless stated otherwise in the post.

Banned

Correct

Go after it from a private property standpoint, not an open carry standpoint then. Your car should be an extension of your home.

A member here brought up an outstanding point once. He said, that they need a warrant to search your home because i'ts private property, yet you can CC there. They need a warrant to search your car for the same reason, private property. Yet you cannot carry a gun in a car without a CPL.

If the word concealed were added or removed in 227 and 231a, then that private property right would be restored.

Let's leave OC entirely out of the argument.

I have to go to community service now, but tonight, I will draft the changes needed to those laws, then in eary June when Mrs. Kowall comes to the local coney island for her public meet, I will make the presentation to her.

Good luck with that...
    Call for a cop, call for an ambulance, and call for a pizza. See who shows up first.

I am not a lawyer (merely an omnipotent member of a continuum). The contents of this post are not a substitute for sound legal advice from a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction.

Comments and views stated in my post are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Michigan Open Carry, Inc. unless stated otherwise in the post.

Banned
    Thanks. besides going state by state on handgunlaw, how would one find out how many states already have the private property rights extended to ones personal vehicle?

That's pretty much it.

Stainless1911: One way to know is to use the link on handgunlaws.us that has a page with all of the cc in a car laws: As you read through this list you will find what you need.
    See http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/USRVCarCarry.pdf
    Last edited by DrTodd; 05-04-2012 at 07:32 PM.
    Giving up our liberties for safety is the one sure way to let the violent among us win.

"Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." -Saint Augustine

Disclaimer I am not a lawyer! Please do not consider anything you read from me to be legal advice.

Quote Originally Posted by stainless1911 View Post
    Thanks. besides going state by state on handgunlaw, how would one find out how many states already have the private property rights extended to ones personal vehicle?
    Hey, got a list of those states for you if you still need it. and I counted 26 states currently allow you to possess or carry in some fashion in your vehicle.
    The worst weapon is the human mind, its created and done things far worse than a gun can, has, or ever will. Its the human mind that tells the gun what to do and animates the inanimate object.

With all these gun control laws in place I have yet to find a single one that has saved someones life, but I can find hundreds of stories where a gun has.

Giving up our liberties for safety is the one sure way to let the violent among us win.

"Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." -Saint Augustine

Disclaimer I am not a lawyer! Please do not consider anything you read from me to be legal advice.

Banned
    Thanks guys, I want to make an intelligent presentation.

Every time something bad happens in a PFZ be sure to send Richardville and the other non 2A friendly legislators a note thanking them for allowing more crime to happen because they were to spineless to change a law.

Banned
    +1

I'm in monroe, I email him frequently and last time he replied to me he promised some positive 2A bills in 2012. Let me know if I can help
    If guns cause crime, all mine are defective- Ted Nugent

There is an activist plan that will be revealed soon.

Quote Originally Posted by detroit_fan View Post
    I'm in monroe, I email him frequently and last time he replied to me he promised some positive 2A bills in 2012. Let me know if I can help
    Have you tried recently? I have left a voice mail for his helper and sent 3 e-mail to him in the last month and have not received a response to any.
    Last edited by Super Trucker; 05-05-2012 at 07:50 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by TheQ View Post

Good to hear. I know you and others have worked hard, and had high hopes for this, don't get discouraged, keep it up.

Good, I look forward to it

Quote Originally Posted by Super Trucker View Post
    Have you tried recently? I have left a voice mail for his helper and sent 3 e-mail to him in the last month and have not received a response to any.

I just looked through my mail to see the last email he sent me. It was on 3-6-12, wrote him to ask for some positive 2A before the Nov elections since the dems will probably make big gains. Here is his reply to me -

"I have always supported the right to bear arms and as an adamant Second Amendment supporter, I’ve long championed efforts to uphold (and restore) gun owners’ rights. I am still working with my colleagues on changing the laws in regards to concealed weapons. We are making this issue a priority for 2012. It is a very important issue for myself and many others in my caucus. I appreciate your continued interest in this matter."

Best,
    Senator Richardville

Now I know for a fact that he really has tried in the past to move some pro2A legislation, including attempting to get a campus carry bill passed a couple years ago for classroom and dorm carry, that's why I'm so surprised to hear this.

I did call his office and speak to his secretary a few weeks ago to express my support for an unmodified SB59, but I did not speak to him that day.
    Last edited by detroit_fan; 05-05-2012 at 08:59 PM.
    If guns cause crime, all mine are defective- Ted Nugent

If you get a chance see if he or his handlers will give you any input.

You and these cliff hangers...now I'm anxious to find out what it is.
    The worst weapon is the human mind, its created and done things far worse than a gun can, has, or ever will. Its the human mind that tells the gun what to do and animates the inanimate object.

With all these gun control laws in place I have yet to find a single one that has saved someones life, but I can find hundreds of stories where a gun has.

Quote Originally Posted by stainless1911 View Post
    Thanks guys, I want to make an intelligent presentation.
    And I'm pretty outspoken about vehicle carrying being changed so if you want to have any discussions about it let me know, I'd be glad to give you my piece of mind about it and throw some ideas your way.

Quote Originally Posted by Yance View Post
    And I'm pretty outspoken about vehicle carrying being changed so if you want to have any discussions about it let me know, I'd be glad to give you my piece of mind about it and throw some ideas your way.
    The issue of "car carry" being allowed as an extension of one's home has USUALLY been a result of a decision by a court in the particular state.

Not to play "grammar police" here but if Senator Richardville's ability to support legislation that expands the way in which people are able to exercise their Second Amendment right is related to his approach to grammar, there is little hope. I know I'm being a bit snarky but I think it would be wise for Senator Richardville to proofread his email before he hits "send". His statement is, in my opinion, an official communication sent to a constituent and should be free of glaring errors.
    Last edited by DrTodd; 05-08-2012 at 09:49 PM.

He didn't write it. A staffer/college intern did -- but you know that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast