Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Article about me in The Northern Light

Article about me in The Northern Light

So a little back story first, I have been a member of this site for over two years now even though I don't post much and haven't posted in quite some time since open carry is nothng new to me.

I am a 23 year old transgender woman and being in a high risk catagory for violence I carry a gun most of the time. I carry concealed in my purse or in my waistband depending on my outfit. Some times at night though when I walk my dog I open carry.

On April 22nd at around 9:00 pm just before it got dark I was walking my dog at semiahmoo park when I noticed what looked like two parents exchanging custody of a young child. The guy who picked up the little boy pulled off to the side of the road and was looking at me I automatically assumed it was because of my full size two tone Taurus 24/7. So I keep walking thinking nothing of it, an hour later as I'm heading back to my car I see two Blaine PD cars parked in the same parking lot as me I get my dog in her crate and two officers approach from the other side of the beach. They greet me and say they got a call from someone saying they got a report of someone carrying a gun while walking a dog. Long story short they basically chatted with me about my dog and how sweet she was and told me to have a nice walk.

There was a report about me in the police reports section of the news paper http://www.thenorthernlight.com/poli...april_25__2012 and then today some crazy liberal woman wrote a letter to the editor about it http://www.thenorthernlight.com/lett...___may_9__2012

I'm not exactly sure what to do or how to react to this, what do y'all think?

Winston Salem, North Carolina, United States
    As far as I know the police are required to respond to a "man with a gun" call. The only problems would arise if they asked you for your ID. Otherwise, it sounds like a consensual encounter that turned out good.

And therein lies the question. Did they ask for your ID?
    "All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke

"I like people who stand on the Constitution... unless they're using it to wipe their feet." - Jon E Hutcherson

Perhaps you could respond to the fool who wrote to the paper and remind them just how many people, especially women, have been attacked in public parks at night over the last say, year or so. I seem to remember quite a few. Far as the LEO encounter, it does sound completely consensual. Unless you did the ID thing. If so expect to be scolded. But not from me.
    It is very wise to not take a watermelon lightly.

It looks like the usual drivel, and not very well done. If it were me I'd probably just drop it. Or invite the writer to the range, so she can see what all of the fuss is about.

Interesting how the woman who wrote in called for heinous and frightening violence against this peaceful person. Perhaps you could reply and say 'It's obviously not safe to be out when people like (this woman) are advocating liquifying the brain through violent means against a person who is a law-abiding citizen walking their dog. A lot of people are filled with violent thoughts some so violent that they are compelled to write into a newspaper and between spitting and fuming, give their opinion about how people should be put to death for exercising a 2A right.'

...or words to that effect. Put it right back at her using HER actions.

PS - none of my biz but how did they know you were a man - did they run your ID afterall?
    A firearm is a tool of convenience, not effectiveness - Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Welcome to the forum and thank you for saving me a trip to Blaine! I was going to pull a report on this incident was curious about it.

That ignorant comment in the paper is just plain ignorant.

I have worked and been to Blaine, and it isn't the safe haven she seems to think it is. I don't know if it's proximity to the border or its remoteness in connection with other places but I wouldn't even leave my locked job trailer in that town.

I would like to extend an invitation (it's open to anyone, so more like saying please come join us...)to join us Sunday mornings 10am Bakerview Starbucks. It tends to be good discussions often times with other customers joining in. We all seem ti really like dogs too.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

being able to protect yourself is a "fundamental human right" (DC v Heller)

Glad you were able to be ready to do so. Don't let the idiots grind you down!
    Last edited by oneeyeross; 05-04-2012 at 11:44 AM.

Murder in Spokane yesterday

Woman was just out walking her dog. Probably won't change the crazy liberal's mind but this incident is all the reason anyone should need to carry.

http://www.kxly.com/news/spokane-new...z/-/index.html
    IAALBIAAFTDPASNIPHCBCALA
    Don't be so open minded that your brains fall out. (John Corapi, The Black Sheep Dog)
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. (Groucho Marx)

Quote Originally Posted by sudden valley gunner View Post
    I would like to extend an invitation (it's open to anyone, so more like saying please come join us...)to join us Sunday mornings 10am Bakerview Starbucks. It tends to be good discussions often times with other customers joining in. We all seem ti really like dogs too.
    Is there a thread about this get together with more details, such as specific address etc. ?

Man or woman, is irrelivant. Self Defence is for everyone, and the legality of OC is also in WA. Personally, I would not give the letter to the Editor the time of day...but if you wish to, do not retaliate. Just write a short brief as to why OC is legal in WA state (Article 1 Section 24 of the state constitution), and SD is necessary and no different than having insurance for your car, or a fire extinguisher in your kitchen.

This means: IMHO do not stoop down to that writers level.
    Last edited by hermannr; 05-04-2012 at 09:31 PM.

I agree with hermannr. I'd simply ignore the LTTE.

If you so choose to respond, cite recent events that show carrying is a good thing. My favorite was about 4 months back where a guy coming home saw his neighbor down the street being attacked and rescued her.
    What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.

I believe in freedom, Mr. Lipwig. Not many people do, although they will, of course, protest otherwise. And no practical definition of freedom would be complete without the freedom to take the consequences. Indeed, it is the freedom upon which all the others are based.

The freedom to succeed goes hand in hand with the freedom to fail. - Going Postal, Terry Pratchett

I like many others was wondering the story behind this when i first read the paper last week. I posted it up under the Whatcom county section.
    I for one im very surprised by you not getting hassled more by Blaine PD they have a long history of not doing the right thing. May i ask if you recall the officers names involved?

As for the Libtard in this weeks paper, I sure would like to see someone get her head out of la la land and let her know the truth.

The officers knew all about open carry and respected my right to open carry. They didn't ask for ID and said they have been trained on open carry and fully support it. They asked me if I had any felonies or anything else that would prohibit me from owning a firearm so I handed over my ID because I really didn't care if they ran my information. My ID still has my old name and the wrong gender marker since I just started to transition less than six months ago and haven't received my "walking papers" from my counselor so that is why the police report said I was male.

I found the address of the woman who wrote the letter using some resources I had from my process serving business so I'm thinking about sending her one of the OC pamphlets.

Quote Originally Posted by Samantha View Post
    The officers knew all about open carry and respected my right to open carry. They didn't ask for ID and said they have been trained on open carry and fully support it. They asked me if I had any felonies or anything else that would prohibit me from owning a firearm so I handed over my ID because I really didn't care if they ran my information. My ID still has my old name and the wrong gender marker since I just started to transition less than six months ago and haven't received my "walking papers" from my counselor so that is why the police report said I was male.

I found the address of the woman who wrote the letter using some resources I had from my process serving business so I'm thinking about sending her one of the OC pamphlets.
    You should never surrender your ID while on foot absent RAS. You're TRAINING the cops to violate the law and assume they can badger people into a fake 'stop and ID'. Don't bother sending her a pamphlet, because then you're harassing her and anti's don't respond to logic or information anyway.
    A firearm is a tool of convenience, not effectiveness - Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfebane View Post
    Is there a thread about this get together with more details, such as specific address etc. ?
    I think there was one started at one time, it is mostly talked about it in The Whatcom county OC thread. Not too many details other than meeting at 10 Am every Sunday at Bakerview Starbucks, googling address now.

1031 W. Bakerview Rd. Bellingham, Wa 98226.

Hope to see ya there Wolfebane.

"Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their

Th odds of needing a firearm are 0%, until.it becomes 100%.

Just like a seat belt in a car, I do not put one on in anticipation that I will 100% need it THAT time, but rather put it on because I will never know ahead of time when I need one.

If you do decide to educate this person, maybe link her some reports of violence in that area. Since they think it's NEVER called for to be armed in such a place, such an obtuse gesture might be required. Even if they themselves don't get educated, others may read it and get enlightend. Just be polite,

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk 2
    "A Right Un-exercised is a Right Lost"

"According to the law, [openly carrying] in a vehicle is against the law if the weapon is concealed" -Flamethrower (think about it....)

Carrying an XDm 9mm with Hornady Critical Defense hollowpoint. Soon to be carrying a Ruger along with it....

Quote Originally Posted by Baked on Grease View Post
    Th odds of needing a firearm are 0%, until.it becomes 100%.

Just like a seat belt in a car, I do not put one on in anticipation that I will 100% need it THAT time, but rather put it on because I will never know ahead of time when I need one.

If you do decide to educate this person, maybe link her some reports of violence in that area. Since they think it's NEVER called for to be armed in such a place, such an obtuse gesture might be required. Even if they themselves don't get educated, others may read it and get enlightend. Just be polite,

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk 2
    Seatbelts, guns, etc. If anyone had the clairvoyance to know ahead of time WHEN they would need one, then they WOULDN'T need one, since they could just be somewhere else at that time.
    It is very wise to not take a watermelon lightly.

Interesting that people think that Blaine cops are a problem. I've lived here for fifteen years, never had a single problem with them. I ride a Harley, wear a patch on my back, OC to city council meetings and walks around town, never a single incident.

I'd drop the whole issue. Her letter is incoherent and no one will be convinced by it anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by heresolong View Post
    Interesting that people think that Blaine cops are a problem. I've lived here for fifteen years, never had a single problem with them. I ride a Harley, wear a patch on my back, OC to city council meetings and walks around town, never a single incident.

I'd drop the whole issue. Her letter is incoherent and no one will be convinced by it anyway.
    When I worked up there OC'd on a motorcycle for a few weeks and no problems from them to me either. Their building inspector is something else though....lol....

Quote Originally Posted by Samantha View Post
    I'm thinking about sending her one of the OC pamphlets.
    I think that is a very good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by heresolong View Post

Let me rephrase what i said, as it came off that i have an issue with the department as a whole. there is one officer who has a history of false arrest, false statements on reports and taking underage girls drinking... sorry for the hijack to the o.p

Quote Originally Posted by jessecain1 View Post
    Let me rephrase what i said, as it came off that i have an issue with the department as a whole. there is one officer who has a history of false arrest, false statements on reports and taking underage girls drinking... sorry for the hijack to the o.p
    I'd be interested in knowing about this officer . If he hasn't done it OC related this may not be the place for it. But I will publicly name officers when bad behavior is done, that way when someone else has a problem they can google the name and see related issues. PD's are not known for being forthright with reports. If you are interested PM me or come to Bakerview Starbucks tomorrow.

Samatha, a query, while IANA, since you purposely sought out this individual's addy through means 'normal' ppl might not have access to, i wonder if sending them anything could be construded as stalking?

wabbit

ps: best of luck on finishing your transition in a timely fashion and getting your documents changed over as that will be an important milestone in your life.
    But who prays for Satan? Who in eighteen centuries, has had the common humanity to pray for the one sinner that needed it most...
    A person who has for untold centuries maintained the imposing position of spiritual head of four-fifths of the human race...
    All religions issue bibles against him, and say the most injurious things about him, but we never hear his side. (twain)

Quote Originally Posted by ncwabbit View Post
    Samatha, a query, while IANA, since you purposely sought out this individual's addy through means 'normal' ppl might not have access to, i wonder if sending them anything could be construded as stalking?

wabbit
    Nope. An actor must "intentionally and repeatedly harass or repeatedly follow another person" before the actions are considered to be stalking. http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=9a.46.110
    The operative phrase being "repeatedly."
    Last edited by rapgood; 10-12-2012 at 03:34 PM.
    Rev. Robert Apgood, Esq.

A right cannot be lost by exercising it. McDonald v. Chicago, 561 U.S. 3025, 130 S. Ct. 3020, 3021, 177 L. Ed. 2d 894 (2010) (citing Near v. Minn., 283 U.S. 697 (1931)).

Although IAAL, anything I say here is not legal advice. No conversations we may have privately or otherwise in this forum constitute the formation of an attorney-client relationship, and are not intended to do so.

A brief reply about how many legally carry concealed firearms might be good. And the national and statewide statistics that support why. Then imply that only an ignoramus pees their pants because of the mere sight of a legally carried sidearm outside of law enforcement.

If you are not a member of the NRA, you can question this person's assumptions and show her to be nothing more than a fear-mongering repeater for blind statism. Then, you can join the NRA, and thank her for helping you to see that (despite its many faults) it is a powerful organization that helps protect the rights of all Americans as our oldest civil rights protection organization.
    Last edited by MAC702; 10-14-2012 at 07:13 PM.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast