• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Article about me in The Northern Light

Samantha

So a little back story first, I have been a member of this site for over two years now even though I don't post much and haven't posted in quite some time since open carry is nothng new to me.

I am a 23 year old transgender woman and being in a high risk catagory for violence I carry a gun most of the time. I carry concealed in my purse or in my waistband depending on my outfit. Some times at night though when I walk my dog I open carry.

On April 22nd at around 9:00 pm just before it got dark I was walking my dog at semiahmoo park when I noticed what looked like two parents exchanging custody of a young child. The guy who picked up the little boy pulled off to the side of the road and was looking at me I automatically assumed it was because of my full size two tone Taurus 24/7. So I keep walking thinking nothing of it, an hour later as I'm heading back to my car I see two Blaine PD cars parked in the same parking lot as me I get my dog in her crate and two officers approach from the other side of the beach. They greet me and say they got a call from someone saying they got a report of someone carrying a gun while walking a dog. Long story short they basically chatted with me about my dog and how sweet she was and told me to have a nice walk.

There was a report about me in the police reports section of the news paper http://www.thenorthernlight.com/pol...-25_police_reports__april_19___april_25__2012 and then today some crazy liberal woman wrote a letter to the editor about it http://www.thenorthernlight.com/let...02_letters_to_the_editor__may_3___may_9__2012

I'm not exactly sure what to do or how to react to this, what do y'all think?

Bookman

Campaign Veteran
Winston Salem, North Carolina, United States
As far as I know the police are required to respond to a "man with a gun" call. The only problems would arise if they asked you for your ID. Otherwise, it sounds like a consensual encounter that turned out good.

And therein lies the question. Did they ask for your ID?

Metalhead47

Perhaps you could respond to the fool who wrote to the paper and remind them just how many people, especially women, have been attacked in public parks at night over the last say, year or so. I seem to remember quite a few. Far as the LEO encounter, it does sound completely consensual. Unless you did the ID thing. If so expect to be scolded. But not from me. :lol:

Flopsweat

It looks like the usual drivel, and not very well done. If it were me I'd probably just drop it. Or invite the writer to the range, so she can see what all of the fuss is about.

sawah

Interesting how the woman who wrote in called for heinous and frightening violence against this peaceful person. Perhaps you could reply and say 'It's obviously not safe to be out when people like (this woman) are advocating liquifying the brain through violent means against a person who is a law-abiding citizen walking their dog. A lot of people are filled with violent thoughts some so violent that they are compelled to write into a newspaper and between spitting and fuming, give their opinion about how people should be put to death for exercising a 2A right.'

...or words to that effect. Put it right back at her using HER actions.

PS - none of my biz but how did they know you were a man - did they run your ID afterall?

sudden valley gunner

Welcome to the forum and thank you for saving me a trip to Blaine! I was going to pull a report on this incident was curious about it.

That ignorant comment in the paper is just plain ignorant.

I have worked and been to Blaine, and it isn't the safe haven she seems to think it is. I don't know if it's proximity to the border or its remoteness in connection with other places but I wouldn't even leave my locked job trailer in that town.

I would like to extend an invitation (it's open to anyone, so more like saying please come join us...:lol:)to join us Sunday mornings 10am Bakerview Starbucks. It tends to be good discussions often times with other customers joining in. We all seem ti really like dogs too.

oneeyeross

being able to protect yourself is a "fundamental human right" (DC v Heller)

Glad you were able to be ready to do so. Don't let the idiots grind you down!

Last edited:

Wolfebane

I would like to extend an invitation (it's open to anyone, so more like saying please come join us...:lol:)to join us Sunday mornings 10am Bakerview Starbucks. It tends to be good discussions often times with other customers joining in. We all seem ti really like dogs too.

Is there a thread about this get together with more details, such as specific address etc. ?

hermannr

Man or woman, is irrelivant. Self Defence is for everyone, and the legality of OC is also in WA. Personally, I would not give the letter to the Editor the time of day...but if you wish to, do not retaliate. Just write a short brief as to why OC is legal in WA state (Article 1 Section 24 of the state constitution), and SD is necessary and no different than having insurance for your car, or a fire extinguisher in your kitchen.

This means: IMHO do not stoop down to that writers level.

Last edited:

Levi

I agree with hermannr. I'd simply ignore the LTTE.

If you so choose to respond, cite recent events that show carrying is a good thing. My favorite was about 4 months back where a guy coming home saw his neighbor down the street being attacked and rescued her.

jessecain1

I like many others was wondering the story behind this when i first read the paper last week. I posted it up under the Whatcom county section.
I for one im very surprised by you not getting hassled more by Blaine PD they have a long history of not doing the right thing. May i ask if you recall the officers names involved?

As for the Libtard in this weeks paper, I sure would like to see someone get her head out of la la land and let her know the truth.

Samantha

The officers knew all about open carry and respected my right to open carry. They didn't ask for ID and said they have been trained on open carry and fully support it. They asked me if I had any felonies or anything else that would prohibit me from owning a firearm so I handed over my ID because I really didn't care if they ran my information. My ID still has my old name and the wrong gender marker since I just started to transition less than six months ago and haven't received my "walking papers" from my counselor so that is why the police report said I was male.

I found the address of the woman who wrote the letter using some resources I had from my process serving business so I'm thinking about sending her one of the OC pamphlets.

sawah

The officers knew all about open carry and respected my right to open carry. They didn't ask for ID and said they have been trained on open carry and fully support it. They asked me if I had any felonies or anything else that would prohibit me from owning a firearm so I handed over my ID because I really didn't care if they ran my information. My ID still has my old name and the wrong gender marker since I just started to transition less than six months ago and haven't received my "walking papers" from my counselor so that is why the police report said I was male.

I found the address of the woman who wrote the letter using some resources I had from my process serving business so I'm thinking about sending her one of the OC pamphlets.

You should never surrender your ID while on foot absent RAS. You're TRAINING the cops to violate the law and assume they can badger people into a fake 'stop and ID'. Don't bother sending her a pamphlet, because then you're harassing her and anti's don't respond to logic or information anyway.

sudden valley gunner

Is there a thread about this get together with more details, such as specific address etc. ?

I think there was one started at one time, it is mostly talked about it in The Whatcom county OC thread. Not too many details other than meeting at 10 Am every Sunday at Bakerview Starbucks, googling address now.

1031 W. Bakerview Rd. Bellingham, Wa 98226.

Hope to see ya there Wolfebane.

Baked on Grease

Th odds of needing a firearm are 0%, until.it becomes 100%.

Just like a seat belt in a car, I do not put one on in anticipation that I will 100% need it THAT time, but rather put it on because I will never know ahead of time when I need one.

If you do decide to educate this person, maybe link her some reports of violence in that area. Since they think it's NEVER called for to be armed in such a place, such an obtuse gesture might be required. Even if they themselves don't get educated, others may read it and get enlightend. Just be polite, :)

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk 2

Metalhead47

Th odds of needing a firearm are 0%, until.it becomes 100%.

Just like a seat belt in a car, I do not put one on in anticipation that I will 100% need it THAT time, but rather put it on because I will never know ahead of time when I need one.

If you do decide to educate this person, maybe link her some reports of violence in that area. Since they think it's NEVER called for to be armed in such a place, such an obtuse gesture might be required. Even if they themselves don't get educated, others may read it and get enlightend. Just be polite, :)

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk 2

Seatbelts, guns, etc. If anyone had the clairvoyance to know ahead of time WHEN they would need one, then they WOULDN'T need one, since they could just be somewhere else at that time.

heresolong

Interesting that people think that Blaine cops are a problem. I've lived here for fifteen years, never had a single problem with them. I ride a Harley, wear a patch on my back, OC to city council meetings and walks around town, never a single incident.

I'd drop the whole issue. Her letter is incoherent and no one will be convinced by it anyway.

sudden valley gunner

Interesting that people think that Blaine cops are a problem. I've lived here for fifteen years, never had a single problem with them. I ride a Harley, wear a patch on my back, OC to city council meetings and walks around town, never a single incident.

I'd drop the whole issue. Her letter is incoherent and no one will be convinced by it anyway.

When I worked up there OC'd on a motorcycle for a few weeks and no problems from them to me either. Their building inspector is something else though....lol....