• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Holsters for OC'ing in Washington

decklin

Oh yeah, what's a pog?

You are the second or third person in the Army I have come across that does not know what a POG is.
POG is a term that has been in use since WWII.
It means Person Other than Grunt. Basically non Infantry. MOS's like supply, admin, clarinet player, etc.
GRUNT itself is also an acronym from WWII. It means Ground Replacement Usually Not Trained. It refered to soldiers straight out of Basic that were sent into theater as replacements but never received any more training.
While I was in the Army I was most unfortunate to have some POGs placed under me to supplement my team while we traveled from Baghdad to Kuwait. One of the POGs came up to me crying because, and I quote, "One of the guys was mean to me!" A grown man was crying because his feelings were hurt. I had never had that happen before. I really had no idea what to do.
That was where the thin skin comment came from. I am not comparing you to the crying POG. It was simply an example and perhaps not the best one. If you are interested I can give you many more examples.

About your holster comment. I like SERPAs but I also have a variety of leather holsters. I think I have seven. Lots of different holsters for lots of different uses. Most of them were purchased before I started OC'ing.

DamonK

Oh Deklin, you shouldn't make asumptions. I went through Benning in '99. Marched through the smoke and headed off to Campbell. Thanks to a few head injuries courtesy of the taliban I don't always put 2 and 2 together. But I can assure you, I'm every bit as blue as you. Let's just let that be the end of it. Like I said, I'm new to the whole forum thing. I'll work on my manners. Maybe you should thing about doing the same. Point of fack though, it may be that your probable lack of any branching out and learning skills beyond that of an infantyman is why you work at home depot. Hopefully, you're going to collage or something as well so that you can continue to move up in the world.

golddigger14s

Activist Member
What is wrong with working at HD? It's an honest job. I may not have been infantry (air defense aka duck hunter), but we in general give each other a hard time and say get a thick skin. OH I just realized, what does any of this have to do with holsters? BTW no law requiring a certain holster, but I too like my serpa level II.
I offer all a loaner suit till you get your own:

Attachments

• firemanoutfit.jpg
    firemanoutfit.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 119
Last edited:

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
Oh Deklin, you shouldn't make asumptions. I went through Benning in '99. Marched through the smoke and headed off to Campbell. Thanks to a few head injuries courtesy of the taliban I don't always put 2 and 2 together. But I can assure you, I'm every bit as blue as you. Let's just let that be the end of it. Like I said, I'm new to the whole forum thing. I'll work on my manners. Maybe you should thing about doing the same. Point of fack though, it may be that your probable lack of any branching out and learning skills beyond that of an infantyman is why you work at home depot. Hopefully, you're going to collage or something as well so that you can continue to move up in the world.

Please do not look down upon people in retail. Plenty of people I know, including myself, have done well in retail over the years. Many years ago when I was a sales rep, I sold products to Home Depot and many of the store managers that I know became millionaires working for that company.

College (collage?) is great, I went to college. However, don't look down upon those that do not have a college degree (75%) as not being able to work their way up. Some famous college drop outs; Bill Gates, Paul Allen, Marc Zukerberg, Steve Jobs, Larry Ellison.....

Ruby

You shouldn't make assumptions either, Damonk. I find this post to be rude and insulting. You are ASSuming things about someone on this forum that you have never met and know nothing about. FYI, I work part time at Lowes and I am a vet also. It takes a special person to work in retail because we encounter so many different types of people and must deal with all of them in a friendly, helpful manner. Those of us here with some manners do not engage in putting other members of this forum dowb for anything, except maybe if they do something outrageously stupid. We expect the same manners from the newbies.

amlevin

+1 on the serpa. I own a serpa for all my pistols. It is one of the best for OC. Check some of your local stores for pricing. You might find a comparable price.

Now if they would just make one for the CZ75 SP-01 Tactical. Yes, it's a great OC holster but they don't make them for everything. Unlike a leather holster, close enough doesn't work for a SERPA.

decklin

Now if they would just make one for the CZ75 SP-01 Tactical. Yes, it's a great OC holster but they don't make them for everything. Unlike a leather holster, close enough doesn't work for a SERPA.

That's true. My wife would like a SERPA but they don't make one for her so she uses a Blade Tech. I have gotten SERPAs to fit guns they weren't designed for. I have a SERPA for a Glock 21 that fits my Smith & Wesson 40VE. Which, by the way, I would not recommend to anybody. It was my first pistol and was in my price range. I have since upgraded.
I have also swapped a couple leathers between guns.

Also, thank you to everyone who commented on the Home Depot thing. I appreciate that.

Damonk, I am in fact going to college. Considering I joined the Infantry straight out of high school, made Sergeant in less than three years, have no debt, own my own home, and married the love of my life and all by the age of 24....... I'd say I'm doing ok so far. Now I'm 26 and going to school, "branching out" as you put it.
You have no clue as to what skills I may or may not have. I work at Home Depot by choice. Good job placing the people that stock your goods in a lower class. They're good enough to hang your golf shorts up but nothing else, right?
How does an 11b not know what a POG is? Especially since it is the worst insult for a Grunt next to Blue Falcon.

DamonK

I'm done with the insults. I was wrong to belittle you. I would point out that I did mention collage. I'm glad to hear that things are working out well in your life. Wish I could say the same. I think that may be a souce of my frustration on here as well, so I apologize for that as well. I should say, I have nothing against retail, but to me, retail is where you work when you're in school. There obviously are exceptions, but the over qualified taking jobs that traditionally would go to younger people with no expierience is both a symtom and a cause of our failing economy. I worked retail when I was a kid in high school. I also mowed lawns and pulled weeds. When the chance came to get a better job, I started working on construction sites during the summer. There are quite a few good paying jobs out there that are availble to us, right out of the Army. If you'd like some info on getting hooked up with some people that can help you out with that, by all means, let me know.

As far as me not getting the POG comment (and yes that is a big insult, so maybe don't go throwing that around), I told you that I have multiple head injuries. Also known as TBI, that stands for Tramadic Brain Injury. It affects my ability to catch things like that sometimes. I'm convinced that it makes me hide my keys from myself to!

To summerize, I apologize for my part in this argument. There was no need for it (I think we basically agree on the holster issue) I will do my best to not bring my emotions onto the forum. Now I'm off to aquatic therapy, because somehow swimming is going to fix my blown shoulder...

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
I told you that I have multiple head injuries. Also known as TBI, that stands for Tramadic Brain Injury. It affects my ability to catch things like that sometimes. .

Traumatic Brain Injury, yeah, I have one I got as a going away present when I left the Army. I hate the forgetting part. Hang in there and stay on AD

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Thank to all of you for your service and for coming together like the men that you are. Damn fine bunch.....all of you.

Levi

Especially since it is the worst insult for a Grunt next to Blue Falcon.

blue-falcon-and-dynomutt-dog-wonder.jpg

He wasn't my favorite Saturday morning cartoon but he wasn't that bad. ;)

Seriously, I'm glad to see the apology and I hope things get better.

TechnoWeenie

There is no 'database', let me explain how your firearm was traced back to you. When a firearm is purchased from a FFL (licensed dealer) a form 4473 is filled out with an NTN number. That firearm/serial number was delivered by a manufacturer/distributor. When a firearm is used in a crime then PC (probable cause) is evident and a trace can begin. It starts with the manufacturer/distributor and who they transferred the gun to for retail sale. (Winchester>Ellet Brothers>Joe's Gun Shop) At that point the ATF calls Joe's Gun Shop and initiates a trace. Then Joe's looks through the 4473's that they are required to keep on hand for 20 years. At this point a name of the original purchaser is delivered to the ATF agent running the trace. The ATF does not have access to the personal information of the original purchaser until PC and contact with the FFL is made.

(BTW, I run a gun shop)

and lets not forget the DOL 'record of sale' for pistols, it's not a registration, registration would be unlawful, no, it's a 'record of sale'...

Thor80

Not really a "SERPA" but they have active retention. Shop CZ I got one of the Yaqui style retention holsters for my P07. I like it!

-Thor

Levi

Out of interest what state(s) require a retention holster for OC?

None. There isn't any legal requirement for the design of a holster. Be in mind, a badly carried gun lends itself to being subject to legal or civil action. Dropping your gun on the deck in the middle of Target might get you some attention you don't want.

badger54

I use a serpa holster so there is no risk of it falling out. I was just curious if there was a state that required it by law I've heard of oc bans in some states and all sorts of requirements to get a carry license in other states, but the holster requirement is a new one. Thanks for the info.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

Levi

I'm not sold on serpa holsters. The first thing that put me off was how you had to use your trigger finger to unlock it and it can come right down on the trigger. Looking at them it seems that it would be a problem if sand, dirt, or lint got into the locking mechanism. With a twist and a yank, they can be broken and the gun will come free. It doesn't take a big guy to do it either. Then I read an account of where a guy lost his service pistol because the button was accidentally pressed. That's just my thoughts.

For me it's a moot point anyway. I haven't seen a serpa that fits either one of my revolvers. I have a Galco wheelgunner for my carry and pouch for my BUG. I love the almost western look of the leather.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I'm not sold on serpa holsters. The first thing that put me off was how you had to use your trigger finger to unlock it and it can come right down on the trigger. Looking at them it seems that it would be a problem if sand, dirt, or lint got into the locking mechanism. With a twist and a yank, they can be broken and the gun will come free. It doesn't take a big guy to do it either. Then I read an account of where a guy lost his service pistol because the button was accidentally pressed. That's just my thoughts.

For me it's a moot point anyway. I haven't seen a serpa that fits either one of my revolvers. I have a Galco wheelgunner for my carry and pouch for my BUG. I love the almost western look of the leather.

All of these "issues" have been answered many times before.

Trigger finger placement is a training issue - regardless of the holster or the gun. If you are going to curl your finger, it will frequently go into the trigger guard. Recommended trigger finger position is straight and unflexed until the muzzle is on target. The proper way to release a Serpa is by sliding the flat of the index finger across the release, causing the straight trigger finger to rest along the frame above the trigger. Therefore the Serpa encourages/produces a safe draw stroke.

There was some question regarding the first design Serpa as being too open to small pebbles - a redesign fixed that a long time ago. Just as one should inspect their gun for problems, so should the rest of their equipment and keep them clean and in good repair. Tests with sand and dirt have failed to jamb the Serpa though the gun was scuffed by the grit.

A thumb break holster can be defeated.....and "it doesn't take a big guy to do it either."

The old tried and true method of not losing one's pistol was attaching it to a lanyard - I'm not ready for that yet.

Meanwhile, don't buy or use a Serpa if you prefer something else, but don't malign a good product by allowing extremely rare instances or exaggerations to override millions of trouble free uses.

Got a Serpa you don't want? Send it to me, I'll give it a good home. Never have enough guns, never have enough holsters. :)

Vitaeus

All of these "issues" have been answered many times before.

Trigger finger placement is a training issue - regardless of the holster or the gun. If you are going to curl your finger, it will frequently go into the trigger guard. Recommended trigger finger position is straight and unflexed until the muzzle is on target. The proper way to release a Serpa is by sliding the flat of the index finger across the release, causing the straight trigger finger to rest along the frame above the trigger. Therefore the Serpa encourages/produces a safe draw stroke.

There was some question regarding the first design Serpa as being too open to small pebbles - a redesign fixed that a long time ago. Just as one should inspect their gun for problems, so should the rest of their equipment and keep them clean and in good repair. Tests with sand and dirt have failed to jamb the Serpa though the gun was scuffed by the grit.

A thumb break holster can be defeated.....and "it doesn't take a big guy to do it either."

The old tried and true method of not losing one's pistol was attaching it to a lanyard - I'm not ready for that yet.

Meanwhile, don't buy or use a Serpa if you prefer something else, but don't malign a good product by allowing extremely rare instances or exaggerations to override millions of trouble free uses.

Got a Serpa you don't want? Send it to me, I'll give it a good home. Never have enough guns, never have enough holsters. :)

+1, you saved me a bunch of typing grapeshot :)