Thread: Student Abandoned in DEA Cell for 5 Days to Sue for $20 Million

Student Abandoned in DEA Cell for 5 Days to Sue for $20 Million

A 23-year-old California college student who was left in a dark federal detention cell for five days without food, water, or a toilet has filed a claim against the U.S. government for $20 million. On Wednesday the DEA apologized to Chong and announced an investigation into the incident.

"I am deeply troubled by the incident that occurred here last week. I extend my deepest apologies to the young man and want to express that this event is not indicative of the high standards that I hold my employees to. I have personally ordered an extensive review of our policies and procedures," William R. Sherman, the Acting Special Agent in Charge of the DEA office in San Diego, said in a statement.

Chong was arrested by federal agents on April 21, following a raid on a friend's house, where agents believe the drug Ecstasy was being dealt.

Chong and eight other suspects were arrested at the house, where agents allegedly found 18,000 Ecstasy pills as well as guns and ammunition. The nine were all taken to the DEA's office and booked. Seven suspects were taken to a county jail and another was released. Chong, however, was left in a holding cell and forgotten.

Chong was ultimately brought to Sharp Memorial Hospital, suffering from severe dehydration and kidney failure. He spent three days in the intensive care unit.

http://gma.yahoo.com/student-abandon...opstories.html

The DEA is a cancer and is as corrupted as the ATF is.
    -I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery. But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes: If you screw with me, I'll kill you all.
    -Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.
    Marine General James Mattis,

And the wonderful thing is...there will be zero accountability for this torture. Thank you W. Bush, and the Democrats, and Republicans.
    I don't mind watching the OC-Community (tea party 2.0's, who have hijacked the OC-Community) cannibalize itself. I do mind watching OC dragged through the gutter. OC is an exercise of A Right. I choose to not OC; I choose to not own firearms. I choose to leave the OC-Community to it's own self-inflicted injuries, and eventual implosion. Carry on...

....accountability? Of course there will be accountability, Vegas trips will be scaled back. Besides, it made into the main stream media, what more do you want?
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

What I really want to know is why the DEA and others only do their hits in cool fun places to vacation. We don't hear about them hitting a crap hole in rural BFE very often.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

I'm surprised that he's only suing for $20 million.

And who else bets this "extensive review of... policies and procedures" will be conducted by an in-house agent?

Isolated incident....

No seriously... he was isolated...
    Evangelical lessons are provided upon request. Anyone wishing to meet Jesus can just kick in my door.

Gee, he got an apology. Isn't that enough?
    If he had stayed in there just a few more days the DEA could claim he went on a hunger strike and thereby comitted suicide.

Quote Originally Posted by zack991 View Post
    The DEA is a cancer and is as corrupted as the ATF is.
    +1 on that. I firmly believe the war on drugs has much worse consequences then the drugs them selves.. Does nobody remember alcohol prohibition? Same thing now just different drugs. Drug abuse should be treated by doctors, not cops/judges... To bad our government/prison system makes way to much money off the war on drugs, I have a feeling it will never stop.

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by Beretta92FSLady View Post
    And the wonderful thing is...there will be zero accountability for this torture. Thank you W. Bush, and the Democrats, and Republicans.
    Thanks for showing everyone, again, what a total loon you are. The DEA is an executive agency, under control of the president. The current president, that is. If you're going to single someone out for unfair personal blame for this incident, intellectual honesty demands that you single out your beloved Obama.

Of course, I would never make the mistake of presuming that you are, in any way, shape, or form, intellectually honest.

All modern presidents, and all current presidential candidates with the notable exceptions of Ron Paul and Gary Johnson, are total moral failures when it comes to denouncing and repudiating the federal government's War on Some Drugs.

Here is the latest hope and change from your Dear Leader:
    And he still doesn’t. ”There’s no reason to legalize marijuana,” [Obama drug czar and former Seattle police chief Gil] Kerlikowske said during a Q&A session after his speech on Tuesday, disparaging the Proposition 19 marijuana-legalization ballot measure that failed in California in 2010.

What Kerlikowske said he wants is a “third way,” as he calls the White House’s new plan–a transformation of law enforcement’s role in U.S. drug policy, and a shift from viewing drug addiction as a moral crime to viewing it as a treatable disease.
    “I don’t want to see law enforcement characterized as anti prevention, anti treatment,” Kerlikowske said, touting fewer incarcerations of low-level drug offenders and more treatment plans ordered by drug courts.
    http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics...rd-way-policy/

Obama still wants scoop people, who have harmed no persons or property, into the criminal injustice system for choosing to introduce non-approved chemicals into their own bloodstream, give them criminal records, and mandate "treatment," with threat of incarceration if one does not comply. Revenue will be generated when all those dastardly pot smokers are forced to pay to have their marijuana "addictions" treated. Incarceration costs money - while someone is on probation or in court-mandated treatment, control is kept over them, but they are able to work in the productive sector and feed the government beast with the products of their labor. A win-win, from the perspective of government and its bootlicking sycophants.

No wonder a good statist like you loves Obama: he increases revenue generation while maintaining government control. Dishonorable traitors, the lot of you.
    Last edited by ManInBlack; 05-04-2012 at 03:42 PM.
    Total ignorance: an Obama supporter's stock in trade
    All the talk about Overthrowing Big Government, Revolution, etc., it's just another one of those nostalgic ideas that individuals have idealized.
    O RLY?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...and_rebellions
    Books are overrated; and so is history.