• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Connecticut Carry - If you have called DESPP/DPS/SPBI...

Rich B

If you have called SPBI for dates regarding your pistol permit application's background check and you were denied access to this information, please contact me as soon as possible.

The SPBI is abusing their power and it is time to take action. Connecticut Carry will lead the way, but we can use your help. The first part of this is trying to get a good count of the numerous people that this abuse has had an impact on.

I have many of you in my email archives complaining of this, but I would like to get specific information and permissions from each of you so please contact me again to potentially be a part of this. As always, we won't release information on any permit applicants/holders without your explicit consent. Just contacting us is not an agreement of any action or release of any information.

Don't hesitate to poll your friends and other permit holders about this to spread the word.

Thank you,
Rich Burgess
President
Connecticut Carry, Inc
Ph: 203.208.9577
Email: rich@ctcarry.com
http://ctcarry.com

rt1983

Rich I also have someone that will be applying in east Hartford I believe, she is in the process of getting me an application or a few, so that I can help all you guys have that info as well. Her instructor for the course stated many towns are requiring reference letters, what the hell is that about?

Rich B

Rich I also have someone that will be applying in east Hartford I believe, she is in the process of getting me an application or a few, so that I can help all you guys have that info as well. Her instructor for the course stated many towns are requiring reference letters, what the hell is that about?

Some towns 'require' additional information that should not be submitted.

http://ctcarry.com/Campaign/PermitRequirements

IH8SPM

Rich

You know I was one of them. Some lady called America and some guy who we all spoke to that gives you the script.

davidmcbeth

Banned

Its BS is what it is ... and when you call, if you do get any information, its usually "not in our database yet...call back in a couple of days".

I'll be visiting these folks in a couple of days .. if they cannot update me they'll hear a few choice words .. then I'll demand to see the commissioner ...that usually brings a gaggle of people out to meet you:) .. Thomas Hatfield usually & some cops...then I complain why I cannot carry my gun in there when they bring their goons. Its a fun time!

rt1983

Rich

You know I was one of them. Some lady called America and some guy who we all spoke to that gives you the script.

Same story here and I continue to call and speak to the same people, it's as if they don't remember my voice, yet I ask the exact same questions every time. They still give me different answers regardless.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Here's an email I sent Paul Mount -- Despp

7 MAY 12

Dear Mr. Mount,

I have no idea why your department is jerking people around and lying to people in respect to pistol permits that they are in the process of applying for.

I called America Perez (that's the name she gave ~ but its actually PUPO-PEREZ, America, isn't it?) today checking on the status of my permit application (last week I called and said that your department can give out information over the phone in regards to backround/fingerprint status of applicants -- but your system was "down") and Amerika said that your department cannot provide this information. I then spoke to Steve Peterzak (that's the spelling of his name he gave, I spelled it back to him and he said yes, that's it ~ its actually PIETRZAK, Steven , correct?)

I have no idea why your people lie to the public but the lying can only lead to mistrust between the public and your department. And to make such lies that are easily checked? That's just plain stupid.

I would request that these two people who gave me false information this afternoon be fired immediately !

Attached is a FOIA request. Please comply with state law in respect to this request.

Any exemptions you want to claim? State the exemption.

If you need further information please let me know.

I have little tolerance for liars, do you?

davidmcbeth

Banned
And FOIA request sent to DESPP ---

DOCUMENTS REQUESTED
Item #1:
Any documents related to any submission of a CCW permit application by the requestor.

Item #2:

All departmental documents that outline policies, procedures, and other information in respect to permitting processes that the agency is involved with.

Item #3:

All documents produced or received in respect to this FOIA request.

My standard boilerplate definition of document? Folks should always include the boilerplate to avoid "confusion"... See below:

DEFINITIONS
As used herein, the term "document" is used in the broadest sense and includes, but is not limited to, the following items, whether hand-written or typed or printed or recorded or reproduced by any process or whether stored electronically or in any other format, namely: .agreements; communications (including intra-company communications); memos; emails; statements; notes (whether formal or informal); correspondence; telegrams; cables; telexes, faxes; telephonically transmitted tangible communications; memoranda; records; books; summaries or records of telephone conversations; telephone message slips (including those which indicate only that a call was received or made); summaries or records of conversations or interviews; diaries; appointment books; desk calendars; wall calendars; forecasts; statistical statements; accountants work papers; graphs; charts; accounts; minutes or records of meetings or conferences; reports and/or summaries or interviews; reports and/or summaries of investigations; items published in a newspaper or other publication; pencil or scratch pad notes; records; reports or summaries of negotiations; studies; brochures; pamphlets; circulars; press releases; contracts; notes; projections; all drafts of any documents; working papers; copies; marginal notations; photographs; drawings; checks (front and back); tape recordings and transcripts thereof; video recordings; e-mails, computer printouts; check stubs or receipts; letters and correspondence (including file copies thereof); any other documents or writings or papers or printed text of whatever description. The term "document" is further defined to include any attachments or other matters affixed thereto. The term "document" also means the original and any non-identical copy. Any notations, comments or alterations on any copy renders it non-identical and require production.

HWilliams

Tried to call on my smoke break at work. The first person that answered (after I asked for the Bureau of Investigation) was Bonnie. She asked what my prints were for and transferred me to another person (I started to get transferred so fast I couldn't catch people's names). The next gentleman asked what town mine were sent from and said he was working on a handful at the moment. I was then transferred to another lady that handles the checks that come in and stated background checks were taking 16 weeks at the moment. She quickly transferred me again where I got a recording stating extension 2094 was not available. Im going to try this again on lunch and try to track the names a little better along with a reason if I am denied the information.

Last edited:

HWilliams

First, thank you Rich for helping me today because this is very intimidating to call the police for some reason. They were also very good at bedazzling me with verbal BS causing me to lose track of what I was really after which were dates.

So on this round I said hello to Bonnie again who answers after asking for the Bureau of Investigation and asked to be transferred to fingerprinting. Again, I forgot to get the guys name that answered in fingerprinting (was the same guy from earlier), but at least this time he talked to me and didn't transfer me around. I told him last time I called I was told that there was a 16 week wait for background checks. He said this is the case, but pistol permits are being pushed to the front. He said that a batch of applications came in today from my town, but said he had no way of proving I was me and couldn't tell me if I was in the batch or not. He also said that most of the small towns hold on to applications until they have enough to send out all at once (this right here could help get the appeal started). He said my local PD would have to call or fax (I dont know what information) to them to verify who I was to get the date. I did mention to him I was making sure the local authority sent it within 5 days because if there is a 16 week wait I might as well appeal right now.

Next I called my local PD (local state police) and after asking for the date my prints were sent out I was forwarded to the admin assistant's voice mail. I left her a message stating I spoke with SPBI and they were unable to tell me if my application was in the batch they recieved today. I asked if she could please contact me back to let me know if my application was in the last batch sent out to SPBI.

Also, my finger prints and application were submitted to my local state police on Wed May 2nd.

UPDATE: Well, since I didn't catch the guys name in fingerprinting at SPBI, I decided to call back, ask the same questions again, and get a name. This time I got a slightly different answer that was a bit more stern. Paul said that they do not answer to the applicant and my local issuing authority where I submitted my application are the only ones that may inquire about a pistol permit application. He said my local PD knows the policy to call and check on things like this. He was also a little irked when I asked his name saying first saying basically who am I. He did however reply back with the name Paul when i gave my name. I'm a little irked myself right now that I can't seem to find out when my app came in. I don't think I'm going to quit cause I'm quit impatient.

Last edited:

KIX

As I understand it......

They are SUPPOSED to tell you since the town isn't making the application for a background check, YOU are (they just submit it). It was part of the reasoning for the fee structure.

Rich can correct me if I'm wrong on that one, but that's how I remember it.

Jonathan

HWilliams

As I understand it......

They are SUPPOSED to tell you since the town isn't making the application for a background check, YOU are (they just submit it). It was part of the reasoning for the fee structure.

Rich can correct me if I'm wrong on that one, but that's how I remember it.

Jonathan

This poses another question. Am I not allowed to get printed and mail the application to spbi myself? If so, then it would be true that they aren't the ones that can only get that information.

Rich B

This poses another question. Am I not allowed to get printed and mail the application to spbi myself? If so, then it would be true that they aren't the ones that can only get that information.

The reason they should have no issue giving you the data you seek is because it is public information and it is public information that you are the subject of.

HWilliams

The reason they should have no issue giving you the data you seek is because it is public information and it is public information that you are the subject of.

Since I keep getting different people maybe I'll call back a fourth time LOL. I'm going to stop by my issuing authority today if I can to see what they will tell me in person. I didn't get a call back on the VM I left.

IH8SPM

Since I keep getting different people maybe I'll call back a fourth time LOL. I'm going to stop by my issuing authority today if I can to see what they will tell me in person. I didn't get a call back on the VM I left.

Next time you call ask for the records dept. They have it together there. I remenber being in thise shoes not to long ago. If you do any traveling in the US apply for thr Florida permit. I now have both. It took 30 days post office to mailbox. What i learned from florida is that the information is public until the permit is issued. Q? Did you include your SS if so that will identify you and they can give all the info you want both in CT and FL.

HWilliams

Next time you call ask for the records dept. They have it together there. I remenber being in thise shoes not to long ago. If you do any traveling in the US apply for thr Florida permit. I now have both. It took 30 days post office to mailbox. What i learned from florida is that the information is public until the permit is issued. Q? Did you include your SS if so that will identify you and they can give all the info you want both in CT and FL.

I'll try that. Fingerprints didn't even give me the oppurtunity to identify myself as they refusded me as an applicant and would only answer to issuing authority.

Rich B