Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Connecticut Carry - If you have called DESPP/DPS/SPBI...

Quote Originally Posted by dcmdon View Post
    Harold - Just a suggestion. Never leave specific phone messages requesting a response to a potentially unpleasant topic. People don't call you back. Instead, be pleasant, even upbeat, and vague.

If your message had simply said, "I have a question for Trooper X, please ask him/her to call me when he/she can", you would have gotten a response.

Don
    Yeah good call. Its all an intimidating process.

Well m local PD finally got all the information after, by my count, 6 weeks and it is because I kept calling and checking on info, sometimes 3 times a day, I called spbi, got all my dates and information, then my local PD never received the state check which they by law don't even need, and now that they have it, told me that I have to wait a few more weeks because of more phantom paperwork, they are beyond the limit of time after receiving the federal background check by 2.5 weeks maybe even 3 actually.

Quote Originally Posted by dcmdon View Post
    Harold - Just a suggestion. Never leave specific phone messages requesting a response to a potentially unpleasant topic. People don't call you back. Instead, be pleasant, even upbeat, and vague.

If your message had simply said, "I have a question for Trooper X, please ask him/her to call me when he/she can", you would have gotten a response.

Don
    That's why I don't get any responses...lol .. I'm too old to change

This is a test. Please ignore.

John

re test please ignore.

Yeah the thread seems to be screwed up. I get the email updates, but the web site doesn't seem to updats. Strange.
    MCS Precision - Training, Sales, Transfers, Estate Purchases

07 FFL
    NRA Pistol and Rifle Instructor
    NRA Life Member

I suspect it is a thread indexing issue but I am waiting for an answer from vBulletin support. It seems to have caught up now. I will keep investigating.

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    That's why I don't get any responses...lol .. I'm too old to change
    Yup...I'm going to just keep calling as well

OK, so gave SPBI another shot but this time I asked for the records department. I got no hassle and was asked if I had the check number which I did not. Instead I provided name, town, and DOB and was given the date my background check was sent back to my issuing authority.

Quote Originally Posted by Harold Williams View Post
    OK, so gave SPBI another shot but this time I asked for the records department. I got no hassle and was asked if I had the check number which I did not. Instead I provided name, town, and DOB and was given the date my background check was sent back to my issuing authority.
    That's the only department I found to have been helpful. Did you speak to the lady that gives a story as to why she doesn't give her name? Glad to hear the prints were sent back. This ONCE again proves there is no backlog.

Yep those are the nicest people I have dealt with as well, and time after time they told me no backlog right after the person answering the phone said there was!

Quote Originally Posted by IH8SPM View Post
    That's the only department I found to have been helpful. Did you speak to the lady that gives a story as to why she doesn't give her name? Glad to hear the prints were sent back. This ONCE again proves there is no backlog.
    I didn't ask her name cause she was so nice. She sounded like the smoker lady from Beetle juice lol. She did state right after that all background checks were running on time though.

I didn't ask her name cause she was so nice. She sounded like the smoker lady from Beetle juice lol. She did state right after that all background checks were running on time though.
    The ball is your court. I am sure that Rich and others have already told yo what you need to do next(choice). Every time I read your post it reminds me of ME.

Quote Originally Posted by IH8SPM View Post
    The ball is your court. I am sure that Rich and others have already told yo what you need to do next(choice). Every time I read your post it reminds me of ME.
    She gave me the date my background was sent back to issuing authority so I'm good for know to.more forward. Rich has been awesome.

She gave me the date my background was sent back to issuing authority so I'm good for know to.more forward. Rich has been awesome.
    Well, life does get in the way of this process sometimes (work and vacation), but I thought I'd post my update so far for other readers. After getting word my national check was sent back to the issuing authority on the 21st by SPBI, I followed up with my issuing authority about 2 weeks later as I was out of town on business/vacation. I was contacted back on the 5th of this month and told they were processing my application and that it needed to go through many hands (I was shucked out of saying well you only have a week to make a decision). At this point today, its been a verified week since they have had my background check and they called me today to request a disposition for an arrest in 2000 the FBI report had sent back. Now, I did not leave this off my application and marked yes for arrested, but stated I could not find any records on it. Whats fishy to me is if I was convicted, wouldn't that show up on the background check? The court where I went for this is in such a small town you have to leave a message on the Judge's home phone (which I did) because there is really no town hall (and the town clerks you have to call their homes as well). Appeal paperwork is being next day FedExed today regardless of how this pans out. God only knows how much longer this process might take, but I guess they feel they need to investigate that arrest a bit further before making their decision.

I feel your pain. I like many others have experienced this bs. Look at the positive you went on vacation (thought about your permit the whole time) and had a great time. I'm no expert but they should be in contact with you or you contacting them.

Keep up the fight!

Quote Originally Posted by Rich B View Post
    You shouldn't feel stupid, the Major should though.

The 50 dollar fee is not mandatory. DESPP does not make the laws, no matter how much they like to pretend that they do.
    I didn't pay & my local PD ran the BR check (and without prints too). Lalala ...Rich is right.

Waiting game on permit...

So I live in New Haven and submitted all of the proper paperwork and fees to the NHPD on January 11th, which by my calculations makes tomorrow (3/15) 9 weeks since I submitted everything. Is it time to start calling around and asking questions? Should I wait longer? I'm very anxious to get my permit and after reading this thread I'm still not quite sure of the correct process or what calling can accomplish. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by monte View Post
    So I live in New Haven and submitted all of the proper paperwork and fees to the NHPD on January 11th, which by my calculations makes tomorrow (3/15) 9 weeks since I submitted everything. Is it time to start calling around and asking questions? Should I wait longer? I'm very anxious to get my permit and after reading this thread I'm still not quite sure of the correct process or what calling can accomplish. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
    Call once. Cite the date and deadline. Ask them if they plan to issue or deny.

Then appeal.

http://www.ct.gov/bfpe/cwp/view.asp?...92&bfpeNav=%7C
    Connecticut Carry is dedicated to advancing and protecting the fundamental civil rights of the men and women of Connecticut to keep and bear arms for self defense of themselves and the state as guaranteed by the United States Constitution and the Constitution of Connecticut.

We need your help. Sign up at http://ctcarry.com

Then appeal.

Thanks Rich,
    I'm in the exact same boat as I submitted my paper work (to Danbury with 3 letters of reference) on Jan 8th and when I called them Tuesday March 12th they said it was not 8 weeks yet and to call back on Friday the 15th. Of course when I called on Friday that department is closed and only open Mon-Thur. Monday I'll be showing up in person to pick it up and if its not there will be sending a letter. I have copies of each of my checks which show they all where deposited a week after submitting the application.

Then appeal.

Rich,

Other than filing an appeal, is there anything I can do since the officer in charge of pistol permits never answers her phone or returns calls? It just doesn't seem right that she can just ignore her responsibility according to state statute.

Thanks again.

Rich,

Other than filing an appeal, is there anything I can do since the officer in charge of pistol permits never answers her phone or returns calls? It just doesn't seem right that she can just ignore her responsibility according to state statute.

Thanks again.
    Appealing is the appropriate course of action. Make sure to keep a log of every attempted communication for your appeal hearing.
    Connecticut Carry is dedicated to advancing and protecting the fundamental civil rights of the men and women of Connecticut to keep and bear arms for self defense of themselves and the state as guaranteed by the United States Constitution and the Constitution of Connecticut.

Other than filing an appeal, is there anything I can do since the officer in charge of pistol permits never answers her phone or returns calls?
    You could file an application with the Superior Court seeking a writ of mandamus. See here and here for more information. I am not sure why that course of action has never (that I know of) been tried. It would be a great test case since the law is clear that towns must render a decision within 8 weeks. If you are legally entitled to it and they do not give it to you, a court can order them to do it through a write of mandamus.

ETA: I realize that the mandamus statute requires putting out a lot of coin to get a writ ordering the town and that fact alone may make mandamus an unattractive route for most. It would be nice, though, to find someone that has the means to try this route. It may change the attitude of towns that are slow to act.
    Last edited by LibertyUberAlles; 03-21-2013 at 10:25 AM.

A mandamus is a drastic writ .. only when any other avenue is not available .. and an appeal is available ; hence, folks don't file them
    Last edited by davidmcbeth; 03-21-2013 at 05:01 PM.
    Do not take any postings to be the opinion of the poster .. poster may be posting opinions of others and not necessarily himself ... carry on

"Filing a notice of trespass with your local, county, state authorities , to keep all town employees off your land, would cut down on the government from interfering or harassing you, at least put you in a little bit stronger legal position" .. chk you local laws (disclaimer)
    [/I]

In order to pursue court actions, you must exhaust your administrative process. The appeal is part of the administrative process.

In order to pursue court actions, you must exhaust your administrative process. The appeal is part of the administrative process.
    I don't think that an appeal to the board is required by law. I am no expert on administrative law but consider:

Sec. 29-32b(b): "Any person aggrieved by any refusal to issue or renew a permit . . . may, within ninety days after receipt of notice of such refusal, limitation or revocation, or refusal or failure to supply an application as provided in section 29-28a, and without prejudice to any other course of action open to such person in law or in equity, appeal to the board.

First, appeal to the board is permissive ("may") - not mandatory ("must"). And I do not see anything in section 29 that exhausts your rights to pursue equitable relief (e.g. mandamus) without exhausting any administrative procedure.

Second, the statute says that the board may be petitioned only where your application has been refused. An application for mandamus would only seek an order that the town act on the application and either allow or deny it which is what the 8 week limitation requires.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast