• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Connecticut Carry - If you have called DESPP/DPS/SPBI...

davidmcbeth

Banned
You shouldn't feel stupid, the Major should though.

The 50 dollar fee is not mandatory. DESPP does not make the laws, no matter how much they like to pretend that they do.

I didn't pay & my local PD ran the BR check (and without prints too). Lalala ...Rich is right.

monte

Waiting game on permit...

So I live in New Haven and submitted all of the proper paperwork and fees to the NHPD on January 11th, which by my calculations makes tomorrow (3/15) 9 weeks since I submitted everything. Is it time to start calling around and asking questions? Should I wait longer? I'm very anxious to get my permit and after reading this thread I'm still not quite sure of the correct process or what calling can accomplish. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Rich B

So I live in New Haven and submitted all of the proper paperwork and fees to the NHPD on January 11th, which by my calculations makes tomorrow (3/15) 9 weeks since I submitted everything. Is it time to start calling around and asking questions? Should I wait longer? I'm very anxious to get my permit and after reading this thread I'm still not quite sure of the correct process or what calling can accomplish. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Call once. Cite the date and deadline. Ask them if they plan to issue or deny.

Then appeal.

http://www.ct.gov/bfpe/cwp/view.asp?a=1252&Q=254192&bfpeNav=|

Brooks P

Call once. Cite the date and deadline. Ask them if they plan to issue or deny.

Then appeal.

http://www.ct.gov/bfpe/cwp/view.asp?a=1252&Q=254192&bfpeNav=|

Thanks Rich,
I'm in the exact same boat as I submitted my paper work (to Danbury with 3 letters of reference) on Jan 8th and when I called them Tuesday March 12th they said it was not 8 weeks yet and to call back on Friday the 15th. Of course when I called on Friday that department is closed and only open Mon-Thur. Monday I'll be showing up in person to pick it up and if its not there will be sending a letter. I have copies of each of my checks which show they all where deposited a week after submitting the application.

monte

Rich B

Rich,

Other than filing an appeal, is there anything I can do since the officer in charge of pistol permits never answers her phone or returns calls? It just doesn't seem right that she can just ignore her responsibility according to state statute.

Thanks again.

Appealing is the appropriate course of action. Make sure to keep a log of every attempted communication for your appeal hearing.

LibertyUberAlles

Other than filing an appeal, is there anything I can do since the officer in charge of pistol permits never answers her phone or returns calls?

You could file an application with the Superior Court seeking a writ of mandamus. See here and here for more information. I am not sure why that course of action has never (that I know of) been tried. It would be a great test case since the law is clear that towns must render a decision within 8 weeks. If you are legally entitled to it and they do not give it to you, a court can order them to do it through a write of mandamus.

ETA: I realize that the mandamus statute requires putting out a lot of coin to get a writ ordering the town and that fact alone may make mandamus an unattractive route for most. It would be nice, though, to find someone that has the means to try this route. It may change the attitude of towns that are slow to act.

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
A mandamus is a drastic writ .. only when any other avenue is not available .. and an appeal is available ; hence, folks don't file them

Last edited:

LibertyUberAlles

In order to pursue court actions, you must exhaust your administrative process. The appeal is part of the administrative process.

I don't think that an appeal to the board is required by law. I am no expert on administrative law but consider:

Sec. 29-32b(b): "Any person aggrieved by any refusal to issue or renew a permit . . . may, within ninety days after receipt of notice of such refusal, limitation or revocation, or refusal or failure to supply an application as provided in section 29-28a, and without prejudice to any other course of action open to such person in law or in equity, appeal to the board.

First, appeal to the board is permissive ("may") - not mandatory ("must"). And I do not see anything in section 29 that exhausts your rights to pursue equitable relief (e.g. mandamus) without exhausting any administrative procedure.

Second, the statute says that the board may be petitioned only where your application has been refused. An application for mandamus would only seek an order that the town act on the application and either allow or deny it which is what the 8 week limitation requires.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Rich is correct ... mandamus is available only IF other avenues are not available ... since you CAN appeal, a mandamus would be dismissed easy-peasy.

carlos jr

How long is it taking for pistol permits in 2014 @ Waterbury Ct

just wondering how long does it takes since in the PD department told me might take to 3 to 4mo ,,, its been 7 weeks that i gave them all my paperwork..