Thread: Man quits Money...

Man quits Money...

Interesting concept.

Link

(snip) Daniel Suelo is 51 years old and broke. Happily broke. Consciously, deliberately, blessedly broke.

Not only does he not have debt, a mortgage or rent, he does not earn a salary. Nor does he buy food or clothes, or own any product with a lower case "i" before it. Home is a cave on public land outside Moab, Utah. He scavenges for food from the garbage or off the land (fried grasshoppers, anyone?). He has been known to carve up and boil fresh road kill. He bathes, without soap, in the creek.

In the fall of 2000, Suelo (who changed his name from Shellabarger), decided to stop using money altogether. That meant no "conscious barter," food stamps or other government handouts. His mission was to "use only what is freely given or discarded and what is already present and already running," he wrote on his web site, Zero Currency.

While I think this is pretty cool, how does a guy living in a cave on public land, have a website???? lol

free website, public library.

Quote Originally Posted by PistolPackingMomma View Post
    free website, public library.
    That is only FREE to him....

Hmm, yes.

In the article it mentions several people who claim he is "mooching" off of society without any contribution in return.

The issue I see, is that these outraged individuals see that he is doing something socially abnormal, and it makes them uncomfortable. Where is their indignation for the welfare leeches and others taking advantage of government programs? Are they actually upset with him or are they just unnerved by the idea that someone could live a truly alternative lifestyle? Compare this to the guy last year who held up a bank for $1 so he could go to jail and get free medical care.

So sure, this guy is not "contributing" per se, but he is recycling almost all of his needs, so he's not exactly getting a new ipad on your dime either.

Quote Originally Posted by PistolPackingMomma View Post
    Hmm, yes.

In the article it mentions several people who claim he is "mooching" off of society without any contribution in return.

The issue I see, is that these outraged individuals see that he is doing something socially abnormal, and it makes them uncomfortable. Where is their indignation for the welfare leeches and others taking advantage of government programs? Are they actually upset with him or are they just unnerved by the idea that someone could live a truly alternative lifestyle? Compare this to the guy last year who held up a bank for $1 so he could go to jail and get free medical care.

So sure, this guy is not "contributing" per se, but he is recycling almost all of his needs, so he's not exactly getting a new ipad on your dime either.
    No kidding. I'd rather people be like this than constantly trying to get armed thugs to deprive me of what they want.
    Don't believe any facts that I say! This is the internet and it is filled with lies and untruth. I invite you to look up for yourself the basic facts that my arguments might be based upon. This way we can have a discussion where logic and hints on where to find information are what is brought to the forum and people look up and verify facts for themselves.

From the linked story:
    Suelo, for his part, has no plans to bring money back into his life. "I know it's possible to live without money," he said. "Abundantly."
    The bum is a poacher and a polluter. Lock his butt up and make the rest of us pay for his existence, in prison. That'll show him.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare