• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New member question

Wbinsk

First post since joining and have a few questions.

I've noticed many meets and gatherings and whatnots and am looking for info on any members in or around the Pulaski/lacleade county area that meet regularly. I tried a search of the area for any mention in the forums but wasn't successful.

Also any idea on how to obtain the exact statutes for open carry in my city or local I live in.

Thank you.

ChiangShih

Pulaski/lacleade counties are pretty far out there. I'm not sure there are too many folks out that way. Did you do a thread search for Rolla or Lebanon? That might turn someone up you can PM. As for the municipal codes I say go down to the courthouse and ask if they have copies there, or if they are available online.

BOOMcat12B

I live in Rolla, which is in Phelps county and is right next door to ya. Where exactly are you at? I can tell you for sure that Rolla and St. James allow OCing. I have only recently moved here but have not had any issues yet with openly carrying. I myself not only researched the local ordinances but also spoke to multiple local LEOs to make sure everything was clear. Talking to local LEOs is a good way to get info, but ALWAYS do your own research as sometimes even the local cops do not know the law when it comes to OCing... Anyways if you have any questions or anything feel free to ask or shoot me an email...I always look forward to getting to know fellow local OCers....

Edit.... Just noticed you are in Richland. I am not sure of the local ordinances there... But you can always go to town hall and ask to see them.

Last edited:

Wbinsk

Yes live in Richland but am military so am on post daily, where I am unable to carry at all open or concealed. But i am in Waynesville, St Roberts, Lebenon quite often, and about once a month Rolla. Just bought a car from there and have to take it there for the oil changes and what nots.

The only city I've actually found anything on was St. Roberts and that was online through a link from one of the threads on the forums. Probably couldn't even find it again if i tried. But my biggest confusion I guess is I understand Missouri state leaves it up to locals to decide the statutes of open carry. But is it city or county statutes? Or does it matter, can multiple cities in a county have different rules?

xdmcompact

Talking to local LEOs is a good way to get info, but ALWAYS do your own research as sometimes even the local cops do not know the law when it comes to OCing...

It is always a bad idea to ask police officers for information on firearms ordinances, especially open carry. Your best bet is to find out where they keep a copy of the ordinances for the town you are interested in and go look at them yourself. You can usually make copies for a small fee. Police officers can and do lie, some feel its part of their job. Hope you find what you are looking for.

And the United States Supreme Court says it is just A OK for them to lie to you but woe is me if you lie to them. Wonderful world it is that has been crammed down our throats.

BOOMcat12B

It is always a bad idea to ask police officers for information on firearms ordinances, especially open carry. Your best bet is to find out where they keep a copy of the ordinances for the town you are interested in and go look at them yourself. You can usually make copies for a small fee. Police officers can and do lie, some feel its part of their job. Hope you find what you are looking for.

I completely agree with you. That is why I stressed to do your own research. I carry a copy of the local laws with me in my wallet, signed by a city clerk, just in case I ever need them. However I personally like to know how the local LEOs feel about open carry just to have a general idea of the attitude I might encounter if they ever approach me while I am carrying. While I have yet to have this happen (I have been OCing for just about a year now, and other than maybe a handful of folks asking me about what I carry or inquiring why I carry I have never had a problem thankfully) I would still like to have a general idea of what might be heading my way if it does happen. Also I had to get clarification on the local ordinances, due to the way they are written. I got that clarification from several different sources not just the local PD.

Plus I like to let local LEOs know I carry in case they do get a call about a "crazy guy carrying a gun" or whatever ridiculous ideas folks call the cops with, that way when they show up and see me there is already a history there, and they know that I am a law abiding citizen, not some crazy dude with a gun. I have found that this is a good way to help deescalate possible situations with the police if they already know you and are not approaching a situation blind so to speak.

And to answer your question wbinsk...it is up to local towns and cities. So always check the local ordinances and laws of whatever city you are in... Now I will say that if I am just traveling through a town and stop to get gas or use the restroom somewhere, I just carry like I normally do for 2 reasons... One folks situational awareness sucks in general and most folks will never notice you carrying, and 2 because I am only going to be there a short time I usally don't worry about it. As I have said so far I have not had problems, and I have carried all over mid MO. And I understand the thing about not being able to carry on post. I just got out of the service not to long ago. Did my OSUIT at FLW back in 07. For Waynesville, St. Robert area just hit up the local chamber of commerce and ask to see their ordinances...I have not been out that way in a while so I honestly am not sure of their stance.

Last edited: