• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Berkeley Count Sheriff Election, Opinions on Martinsburg Gun Ban

twoskinsonemanns

As you probably know the election for Berkeley County Sheriff is coming up very soon. Primary on May 8th!
As a concerned citizen and voter I tried to get the opinion of Sheriff Lemaster and challenger John Orem concerning the unlawful ban on guns on property owned, leased, controlled (etc) by the city of Martinsburg. I never received a response from the sheriff. I did however receive this response from the challenger John Orem. Also after this message he even sent me a link to this document, I believe it is a request to deny a motion to dismiss the case against Martinsburg in the current legal battle to have the unlawful law repealed.

I urge everyone in the county to PLEASE PLEASE vote and to keep this message from the challenger John Orem in mind when you do.
Thank you very much!

Mr John Orem,

I am a Berkeley County resident and a regular voter. I am impressed with your current campaign for Sheriff of Berkeley Count and would like to know your position concerning the issue of law abiding citizens carry weapons for their protection.
I am deeply concerned with Martinsburg City Code § 545.14 that was passed in an effort to restrict law abiding citizens to bear their firearms in certain places owned, leased or under the care, custody and control of the City of Martinsburg. This code seems to be a violation of the preemptive State law W.Va. Code § 8-12-5a which does not allow a municipality to pass code exactly like the one in Martinsburg. These items are very important to many voters.

Please explain your position on this.
Thank you very much,
**********, WV

(Sir), first of all thank you for your kind words. Secondly that is a Municipal code that I deeply disagree with. The code is way too broad and serves no purpose. It is a law that applies no protection to the citizens and only strips them of their rights. I look for it to be challenged and overturned. I am a proud NRA police and civilian firearm instructor and I can never agree with laws that make us more like Europe then America. That being said, as Sheriff I would hope that neither I nor any of my Deputies are ever put into a situation where we would have to enforce such a law. However if it is on the books try as we may we are sworn to uphold the law. But I would try to give a much leave way as the law allows persuading the person to leave before ever having to arrest them. I can understand it for places like the court house. But the any city owned property is way too broad.

Last edited:

ManInBlack

(Sir), first of all thank you for your kind words. Secondly that is a Municipal code that I deeply disagree with. The code is way too broad and serves no purpose. It is a law that applies no protection to the citizens and only strips them of their rights. I look for it to be challenged and overturned. I am a proud NRA police and civilian firearm instructor and I can never agree with laws that make us more like Europe then America. That being said, as Sheriff I would hope that neither I nor any of my Deputies are ever put into a situation where we would have to enforce such a law. However if it is on the books try as we may we are sworn to uphold the law. But I would try to give a much leave way as the law allows persuading the person to leave before ever having to arrest them. I can understand it for places like the court house. But the any city owned property is way too broad.

I like what he said about America being made more like Europe, which I definitely think is a subtext of what the liberals are doing.

However, someone should politely provide him with information on the proper role of the county sheriff in interposing himself between unconstitutional laws and the citizens who elected him.

http://tenthamendmentcenter.com/2010/07/19/constitutional-sheriffs-now/

http://www.roanoketeaparty.com/2011...do-this-imagine-what-a-state-could-accompish/

http://americanvisionnews.com/571/local-sheriff-defends-farmer-from-fda-intrusion

twoskinsonemanns

Just wanted to add that I WILL be supporting James Barbour in November. I think he will be a much better Sheriff than Lemasters. Also I have been in contact with him about the same Martinsburg gun ban issue and feel his opinions are promising. I felt early on that Mr Orem, with his local LE experience, had the better shot at dethroning Lemaster's who is basically a life-long local LEO who steadily work his way up the ranks. But Barbour has a very impressive military career, which I ALWAYS respect, and very impressive credible. He is the kinda of elected official we need to replace the ones in office now.
Here is some correspondence from Mr Barbour about the Martinsburg gun ban.

Mr XXXX

Thank You for contacting me with your concerns on this issue. As a Martinsburg city resident
I am fully aware of this city ordnance. I have been in contact with the NRA on this subject and
from what I have been told the NRA-ILA is working to have this ordnance overturned. It is a clear
and blatant violation of WV State Law. I feel it is just another attempt of the current Mayor and city council
to impose their agenda on the Berkeley County residents. I am working with several pro gun candidates that
are running in the June City elections to oust the sitting council and Mayor.

I am and always have been adamantly Pro Gun. I am a NRA member, I am a Concealed Carry Permit Holder
and I am not for restrictions on any law abiding citizens gun rights. I have been a Sponsor and supporter of
the Berkeley County Friends of The NRA annual Banquets and youth shooting programs. I have been endorsed
for Berkeley County Sheriff by 340 Defense in Charles Town WV.

When elected as Sheriff, I have plans to streamline the CCW process, and if any resident has the desire to purchase Class III weapons
I will make myself available for the processing and signatures required. I am making inquiries and I continue to do research on this
city ordnance to see what the legal aspects as Sheriff I can do to have this overturned.
Again I thank you for your concerns and I appreciate your great remarks. Please feel
free to contact me anytime with any concerns you may have.

James Barbour