Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A call from my sister about O.C.

A call from my sister about O.C.

Yesterday I received a call from my sister to discuss the date for our annual family reunion involving my side of the family. After we saved the world and straightened out the gummit, she popped up and asked if I would leave my gun in the car when we come.I asked her why in the world would I do that, especially knowing there was a shooting from a break-in 3-4 houses down the street!She and her hubby said that they don't have a problem with me OCing, it's, well, 4 people were, well, um, are uncomfortable seeing me with a gun at a family social. It isn't appropriate!It took me 10 minutes to pry the names of the 'concerned' family members from her. To my surprise 2 were her 40yr daughters! BTY, they lived in Alaska for over 10 yrs, so guns don't make them nervous, I would think! The other 2 are my wife's sister and her husband.To say the least, I was hot! My wife was surprised, also. Sad thing is, my sister-in-law has been bitten twice by dogs while going for a walk in the neighborhood! THEY should be carrying!Well, that's my rant. Thanks for listening. Gonna go pound some steel on the anvil!

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Squeak View Post
    4 people were, well, um, are uncomfortable seeing me with a gun at a family social. It isn't appropriate!It took me 10 minutes to pry the names of the 'concerned' family members from her. To my surprise 2 were her 40yr daughters! BTY, they lived in Alaska for over 10 yrs, so guns don't make them nervous, I would think! The other 2 are my wife's sister and her husband.
    My take: your sister and her husband failed in raising your nieces. As for the wife's sister and husband, they are outlier relations, so their say shouldn't count for squat.

How many others are going? I would think the anti-gun whiners would be vastly outnumbered, and that should be enough by itself.

My gut says the tell them, not so politely, to screw themselves, but then again, it's not my family, and I don't have to live with the repercussions...

Total ignorance: an Obama supporter's stock in trade
    Quote Originally Posted by Beretta92FSLady View Post
    All the talk about Overthrowing Big Government, Revolution, etc., it's just another one of those nostalgic ideas that individuals have idealized.
    O RLY?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...and_rebellions
    Quote Originally Posted by Beretta92FSLady View Post
    Books are overrated; and so is history.

Squeak, Just wear your OCDO "Security Badge"

Banned
    They're one of THEM ... you must destroy their bodies to free them.

funny story...

Quote Originally Posted by Squeak View Post
    She and her hubby said that they don't have a problem with me OCing, it's, well, 4 people were, well, um, are uncomfortable seeing me with a gun at a family social. It isn't appropriate!
    Simple response.

"My wife and I said that we don't have a problem with them not OCing, it's, well, we're, well, um, uncomfortable not seeing them with a gun at a family social. It isn't appropriate!"

Seriously, good luck with that situation. Family can be the most difficult of all to deal with.

Sounds like a good reason to find something else to do that day. Your call, of course, but if my gun isn't welcome, I'm not going to be there.
    I will not knowingly initiate force. I am a self owner.

Let the record show that I did not consent to be governed. I did not consent to any constitution. I did not consent to any president. I did not consent to any law except the natural law of "mala en se." I did not consent to the police. Nor any tax. Nor any prohibition of anything. Nor any regulation or licensing of any kind.

Quote Originally Posted by MamaLiberty View Post
    but if my gun isn't welcome, I'm not going to be there.
    That's exactly what PistolPackingMomma and I said to her parents when they invited us to their place up in WV last week. Her dad said of course we could OC, unlike the last time they invited us up.

The funny thing is, he acted like he never told us to leave the guns locked up when we were at their house the time before last. He acted as though we were always welcome to wear our tools when we were at his house.

What changed his mind this time, you might ask? The last time PistolPackingMomma's parents were down here, to SC, they saw that we OCed doing EVERYTHING (well, almost everything, SC isn't an OC state. We have to conceal when we are on public property or private property, like restaurants and other businesses where we haven't asked permission to OC from the owner.)

We also took them and the 4 children (out of 8), that still lived with them, to the range. We brought at least 10 different handguns, an AR-15, some hunting rifles, some shotguns... they all had a blast! That was the first time I've ever ran out of a thousand rounds of ammo so quickly.

We changed their mind about carrying firearms at all time by letting our OC light shine, letting them get familiar with lots of different kind of firearms, letting them get some practice in with them, and letting them have some fun with at the same time. I think the main thing that "won them over" was showing them how we OCed doing everything, how normal it seems, and how responsible we were while doing it.

Carry on and completely ignore the issue. Your personality will overwhelm them anyways.
    Live Free or Die!

Carry away. If anyone is sufficiently "uncomfortable", they will leave; problem solved. If they're not so uncomfortable that they leave, there's not a problem.

I have this same kind of issue with my father. It makes no sense to me since he was the one I remember getting me into guns - we used to ALWAYS go shooting when we went camping and we went camping a lot when I was younger.

I still have yet to get a straight or even comprehensible reason from him about why he has an issue with me carrying around him.

When I first started carrying and I tried to talk to him about it he even said at one point, half jokingly, that he was "concerned that I would shoot him."

Needless to say there has never been any history of violence between us or any sort of animosity on that level which would even make that a valid thought.

I hung up from that phone call in disgust and didn't take his calls for a few days. It made me sick to my stomach that he would even consider that.

Squeak you did not disclose if this event is taking place at a public area or a family members home.

Something to consider Squeak;
    Is open carrying at this event more important then the event itself?
    Is it more important to you to be armed or to openly carry while attending?
    Is it worth possibility of hard feelings, if you choose to openly carry?
    Is it worth attending open carrying and have some family members upset?

Just avoid letting hurt feelings or ego's become involved in your decision making.
    • Being prepared is to prepare, this is our responsibility.
    • I am not your Mommy or Daddy and do not sugar coat it but I will tell you simply as how I see it, it is up to you on how you will or will not use it.
    • IANAL, all information I present is for your review, do your own homework.

Quote Originally Posted by BigDave View Post
    Squeak you did not disclose if this event is taking place at a public area or a family members home.

Something to consider Squeak;
    Is open carrying at this event more important then the event itself?
    Is it more important to you to be armed or to openly carry while attending?
    Is it worth possibility of hard feelings, if you choose to openly carry?
    Is it worth attending open carrying and have some family members upset?

Just avoid letting hurt feelings or ego's become involved in your decision making.
    +1...there is an obvious answer here.
    Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat....Teddy Roosevelt

Good advice/comments! I'm still thinkin'! MAYBE I'll CC. But then, I'd have to make a new holster! My Daddy said that life wasn't easy, but dang! I know, PCC/POC.

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Family Dynamics....

I'm sure you'll do what you think is best, hope all goes well.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfebane View Post
    I have this same kind of issue with my father. It makes no sense to me since he was the one I remember getting me into guns - we used to ALWAYS go shooting when we went camping and we went camping a lot when I was younger.

I still have yet to get a straight or even comprehensible reason from him about why he has an issue with me carrying around him.

When I first started carrying and I tried to talk to him about it he even said at one point, half jokingly, that he was "concerned that I would shoot him."

Needless to say there has never been any history of violence between us or any sort of animosity on that level which would even make that a valid thought.

I hung up from that phone call in disgust and didn't take his calls for a few days. It made me sick to my stomach that he would even consider that.
    I face a somewhat similar issue. My sister makes comments or jokes about my gun that make me uncomfortable. She bought me a stupid little keychain that said "I have pms and a gun. Excuse me, did you have something to say?" or she tags me that story about the armed citizen robbing his attempted robber because she thinks of me when she reads it.

What I've tried to make clear to her is that while I see the humor she sees, I see something that she doesn't. That carrying a gun is not a joke; that every day I strap this tool to my hip, I face the reality that I may have to use it. I accept the responsibility, and it does not weigh lightly on my mind. I have the ability to end someone's life, and there is nothing funny about that.

"Well, um, you see,....I'm uncomfortable with the notion of being unable to protect the ones I love....."
    Lower the crime rate by lowering the criminal survival rate!
    When people say 'God Bless America' I'm sure He says, "I gave you Texas!"

oops....hit save to fast...

I've taken nieces & nephews on out of state road trips & both CC'd and Oc'd (were legal) and I've ALWAYS been armed!! I'm for damn sure NOT going to face my sisters and tell them I failed to protect the most important people on the planet!
    Lower the crime rate by lowering the criminal survival rate!
    When people say 'God Bless America' I'm sure He says, "I gave you Texas!"

Quote Originally Posted by carsontech View Post
    We changed their mind about carrying firearms at all time by letting our OC light shine, letting them get familiar with lots of different kind of firearms, letting them get some practice in with them, and letting them have some fun with at the same time. I think the main thing that "won them over" was showing them how we OCed doing everything, how normal it seems, and how responsible we were while doing it.
    This is a great story and being "normal" works best
    "Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the people's liberty teeth (and) keystone... the rifle and the pistol are equally indispensable... more than 99% of them by their silence indicate that they are in safe and sane hands. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference .When firearms go, all goes, we need them every hour." -- George Washington

Unfortunately I'm the only "Conservative" in my Family. Needless to say I don't attend any Family Reunions.

Sometimes, the only thing in common family members have is their DNA.
    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

"If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"

I'd say if you see them very often, then save the OCing for other occasions.....or like someone else said, get them to come to the range and get more comfortable. Or have them see you out and about OCing to see that nothing happens. That's kind of how I've been with the liberal half of my in-laws (wife's mom/stepdad). My mother in-law is so against the idea of guns that she wouldn't allow her daughters to have squirt guns growing up. Which is very sad I think but that's another story. Anyways, I've sent her home with a printed out copy of "The Tao of Gun" and "The Gun Is Civilization" and now I've even OCed around her, at my house at least, and it's growing on her. She has also found out that her bestie and her husband have a TON of guns...so that might be helping too.

Anyways, it's a slow process...if you think you can work on them to get rid of that irrational fear than maybe not OC...if they're a lost cause, do whatever you feel like I say.
    Last edited by skiingislife725; 05-06-2012 at 10:47 AM.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by jt59 View Post
    +1...there is an obvious answer here.
    Really?

The only answer i see is-if you don't like it it's not my problem, this is the way i am. you either accept it or we agree to disagree.
    +thought for the day+
    ++victory needs no explanation, defeat allows none++

Quote Originally Posted by amlevin View Post
    Unfortunately I'm the only "Conservative" in my Family. Needless to say I don't attend any Family Reunions.

Sometimes, the only thing in common family members have is their DNA.
    Yeah, growing up I always assumed that my parents were Conservative because I thought that was the default common sense position (we also never really discussed politics).

But a few years ago my Aunt, who still lives in CA where she and her sisters (my mother) were born said to me once while I was visiting something to the effect of:

How did you get to be such an evil little republican growing up in this family.

Needless to say I had no idea how to respond.

I would have said "I have an IQ that is much higher than your room temperture IQ."

Thumbs up

I would quote winston churchil-
    "to be young and liberal is to have a heart, to be older and conservative is to have a brain"
    +thought for the day+
    ++victory needs no explanation, defeat allows none++

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfebane View Post
    Yeah, growing up I always assumed that my parents were Conservative because I thought that was the default common sense position (we also never really discussed politics).

But a few years ago my Aunt, who still lives in CA where she and her sisters (my mother) were born said to me once while I was visiting something to the effect of:

Needless to say I had no idea how to respond.
    You could have told her that you ended up with all the common sense!
    Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat....Teddy Roosevelt

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast