• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

My circle and Open Carry

SickPythons

Through the fall and winter, I haven't run into any issues with "open carry" because I had been wearing a jacket for the most part. With the weather getting warmer, I have been sticking to my normal routine, Springfield XDm 5.25 holstered in a Blackhawk Serpa minus the jacket. My brother and a couple of my friends have also started carrying openly in the Griswold/Voluntown area.

To get to my point, I have been really uncomfortable with all the negative attention I have been getting. So much so that I've started to keep my jacket on when I would normally take it off.
My brother has also been running into some really nasty reactions while carrying his S&W 7-shot .357.

I understand that the public shouldn't be able to modify my daily routine when I am doing nothing wrong, but I'm starting to wonder if the juice is worth the squeeze.

The funny thing about this whole situation is that I started open carrying because during my classes, the students always say that they've never seen anyone open carry and they didn't believe that it was legal. I figured that I should get some experience in the matter and maybe be able to educate the public a bit.

ManInBlack

Sorry to hear about that. I have gotten occasional negative comments about my OC, but knowing what I know about the culture in the Northeast, I'm sure it is nothing compared to what you have been getting.

The one positive I see is you mentioned no law enforcement interaction. I have to imagine that at least some of these misinformed antis have called the police on you or your brother/friends (it seems that the first reaction of many people to something that makes them vaguely uncomfortable is to call armed strangers to the scene :rolleyes:). Either your local police know the law and don't respond, or the respond and observe from a distance, correctly not making contact for perfectly lawful behavior.

Rich B

To get to my point, I have been really uncomfortable with all the negative attention I have been getting. So much so that I've started to keep my jacket on when I would normally take it off.
My brother has also been running into some really nasty reactions while carrying his S&W 7-shot .357.

Can you describe the 'negative attention'?

SickPythons

For the most part people move diagonally away from me at first sight. People behind me in check-out lines back up and whisper to whomever they're with. Cashiers are noticeably alarmed and are trying to decide if they are about to be held up. One cashier at Home Depot told me that she was physically shaking and couldn't understand why I had it. Of course I tried to explain it to her without holding up the line for too long but I'm pretty sure it didn't help.
My brother has had numerous people come up to him and tell him to cover his firearm. When he explains to them that he doesn't have to, a couple of them have gotten angry have shouted at him. He carries around the CCDL pamphlet and has given them out but most people still don't believe it and some have thrown them on the ground.

I am just not happy with being an outcast in the areas where I normally thrive. I am a friendly, sociable guy and carrying openly has really made that tough for me.

Rich B

For the most part people move diagonally away from me at first sight. People behind me in check-out lines back up and whisper to whomever they're with. Cashiers are noticeably alarmed and are trying to decide if they are about to be held up. One cashier at Home Depot told me that she was physically shaking and couldn't understand why I had it. Of course I tried to explain it to her without holding up the line for too long but I'm pretty sure it didn't help.
My brother has had numerous people come up to him and tell him to cover his firearm. When he explains to them that he doesn't have to, a couple of them have gotten angry have shouted at him. He carries around the CCDL pamphlet and has given them out but most people still don't believe it and some have thrown them on the ground.

I am just not happy with being an outcast in the areas where I normally thrive. I am a friendly, sociable guy and carrying openly has really made that tough for me.

Well it goes without saying that carrying unconcealed is not for everyone, and you certainly have the right and ability to carry in whatever manner you choose.

It does seem very odd to me from my experience that this is how you are being perceived though. I have not heard of anyone else who carries openly in Connecticut or in other states that runs into the amount of negative attention you are describing.

It sounds like open carry may not be for you.

eamelhorn

Im a minister in a very small town where everyone knows everyone, I think the population is now at about 3000. I posted 2500 the other day and noticed that it is now at 3000. Why would a minister need to carry and carry openly in such a small town. Because this small town is now overran with prescription drug use and daytime home invasion is common place now. Some of those have been comitted by cousins and family of mine. Also I have had 2 guns stolen at 2 different times in the last year. Sometimes family will target family because they are family and they think well they will let it slide, and im a preacher so in thier mind even more reason I will let it slide,WRONG!!! My bro-n-law had a gun stolen he lives next door, guess what? a cousin that lives behind us did it, walked in his home just as they did mine and violated our homes. I cannot in good consience let someone take from my family to support drug use. I will not and cannot, therefore I carry openly. Those that know me which are many in this small town understand when I tell them why I carry. The last thing I want to go into judgement with is the killing of a man, and maybe just maybe now they know not to come to my house for thier ill-gotten gains. A man who does not provide for his family is worse than an unbeliever. If I stand back and allow someone to steal from me or mine, am I being negelent.

brk913

The answer to the OP is, just ignore them. Who cares if people move away from you or whisper. As far as the people who approach you and tell you to cover up, tell them there is no CC law in CT and turn your back on them and if they get mad tell them they should move to Mass or NY if they don't like it and walk away, if you are overly hornery mention you don't like the color of their shirt, or the kind of car they are driving...say it with a smile on your face, it will really set them back....

Last edited:

Rich B

The answer to the OP is, just ignore them. Who cares if people move away from you or whisper. As far as the people who approach you and tell you to cover up, tell them there is no CC law in CT and turn your back on them and if they get mad tell them they should move to Mass or NY if they don't like it and walk away, if you are overly hornery mention you don't like the color of their shirt, or the kind of car they are driving...say it with a smile on your face, it will really set them back....

The only person who ever told me to cover up was the same that did so in a violent and threatening manner and then called the police. He is now one of the defendants in my lawsuit over that situation.

That is the clear exception and not the norm. I have been around a lot of people in the years I have carried openly and I don't recall anyone ever acting overly nervous or scared and I cannot imagine anyone in their right mind coming up to me and telling me to cover up. The closest I have gotten outside the incident above are people asking me about it or saying they thought it had to be concealed which is fair enough and presents a great opportunity to educate them from the standpoint of "Where on earth did you hear that you need to conceal?".