Thread: Target shooting on Fed/state/county public lands?

Target shooting on Fed/state/county public lands?

Anyone know what the requirements are for target shooting on Federal/state/Mckinley county lands? Do you have to have written permission as I think the NM department of gaming says you do with private land? I know there is a 150yrd requirement from occupied buildings, that you can not shoot across public streets (according to game and fish website). They have a private shooting range here but I really cant afford the yearly fees plus the required NRA membership to join them. I'd just like to be able to go out to some hoggback and do some recreational shooting. Thanks.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by NMOCr View Post
    Anyone know what the requirements are for target shooting on Federal/state/Mckinley county lands? Do you have to have written permission as I think the NM department of gaming says you do with private land? I know there is a 150yrd requirement from occupied buildings, that you can not shoot across public streets (according to game and fish website). They have a private shooting range here but I really cant afford the yearly fees plus the required NRA membership to join them. I'd just like to be able to go out to some hoggback and do some recreational shooting. Thanks.
    Every land management agency is going to have its own rules. Forest Service and BLM rules are posted on their websites. Go to the website actual area you plan on doing your shooting in so you can be aware of any special closures. I would google or call the state and county for their rules.

Wherever you go, please pick up whatever you use for targets as well as spent brass. People who trash out areas are the reason some of them get closed.

Total ignorance: an Obama supporter's stock in trade
    Quote Originally Posted by Beretta92FSLady View Post
    All the talk about Overthrowing Big Government, Revolution, etc., it's just another one of those nostalgic ideas that individuals have idealized.
    O RLY?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...and_rebellions
    Quote Originally Posted by Beretta92FSLady View Post
    Books are overrated; and so is history.

Sorry in advance.

But, do you have any unmanned shooting ranges in NM. We have a few scattered around MO in some of our state parks. Quite remote. I typically inform one of the park rangers on what day that I will be doing some shooting when we pull in for a camping trip.
    I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.

Politicians are the tyrants 3000 miles away; thug cops are 3000 tyrants 1 mile away. (Adapted from Benjamin Martin, fictional character extraordinaire)

Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    Sorry in advance.

But, do you have any unmanned shooting ranges in NM. We have a few scattered around MO in some of our state parks. Quite remote. I typically inform one of the park rangers on what day that I will be doing some shooting when we pull in for a camping trip.
    Yes, I have two areas of BLM land I go to regularly. One spot is just a favorite in the woods, another has berms along the edges of some open space.

At the second one I have seen rangers driving through once or twice in all the time I've spent there. In the last year or so there has also been a volunteer hanging around occasionally. He's a friendly guy and just checks to make sure you're following the rules and shooting in a safe manner.

AH.74, do you mind sharing the locations? thanks Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by elebuttfish View Post
    AH.74, do you mind sharing the locations? thanks Jerry
    Jerry, how familiar with Santa Fe are you? One is near the airport, the other is a little further North past the golf course.

Some what familiar, but I will be living between Los lunas and Belen, maybe. I use to go out to the Rio Puerco and shoot in the arroyos but I don't know how much stuff has changed. Thanks any way. 15 years ago there was a burger place called "The Real Burger" on Don Gaspar, are they still around?